Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions wanted on potential [AUS-BOM] travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLAT, Hilton-Gold, Marriott-PLT
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I am sorry dear fellow FTers but I'm no longer surprised at how visceral responses are. Does anyone bother to run a quick search to realize how bad the connecting timings are and how long going through HKG makes one's journey?

I realize that "flying less" isn't really the mantra on FT, but for people not on the West Coast, flying to India TPAC is much longer than flying TATL.

Why spend more hours of your life in a plane, especially in economy, if you don't have to?

AUS - LHR - BOM: 8,984 miles
(19h 40m outbound, 24h 15m return)
Leave at 6:20 PM- get in a full day of work
Return at 4:05 PM

AUS - DFW - LHR - BOM: 9,402 miles
(24h 35m outbound, 24h 20m return)
Leave at 1:15 PM - half day of work
Return at 4:10 PM

AUS - DFW - HKG - BOM: 10,971 miles
(26h 25m outbound, 28h 20m return)
Leave at 11 AM - wasted day
Return at 7 PM

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=AUS+-+D...US+-+DFW+-+BOM

So do you want to waste 11 hours of your life just in case a SWU clears and pray your employer lets you book on all AA ticket stock so you get 100% mileage on the CX HKG-BOM-HKG sectors or do you want to fly at better times, be guaranteed 100% mileage, and have 11 hours more to do things you care about?

Furthermore, take a look at pricing. The AUS - LHR - BOM r/t can generally be purchased in BA's WTP (World Traveler Plus) for LESS than economy going via DFW. Tell your employer that you're saving him/her money and you want to be in WTP.

But hey, I'm the weirdo on FT. I'd rather fly SFO - ORD non-stop and spend two more hours with my family than do SFO - DFW - ORD to earn a few more miles. I realize the OP is EXP and that at least gives some shot of using the SWU. I'm not EXP so perhaps my perspective on this is skewed. For anyone who isn't EXP, there is 0 reason to fly via HKG in this situation.
Totally agree with the above. The only reason to look at these alternative routes is a for a shot at utilizing SWU. Sitting cramped in economy is not something I am looking forward to. And once you have experienced business class on these long trips, you do become addicted to that experience
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am sorry dear fellow FTers but I'm no longer surprised at how visceral responses are. Does anyone bother to run a quick search to realize how bad the connecting timings are and how long going through HKG makes one's journey?

I realize that "flying less" isn't really the mantra on FT, but for people not on the West Coast, flying to India TPAC is much longer than flying TATL.

Why spend more hours of your life in a plane, especially in economy, if you don't have to?

Return at 7 PM

So do you want to waste 11 hours of your life just in case a SWU clears and pray your employer lets you book on all AA ticket stock so you get 100% mileage on the CX HKG-BOM-HKG sectors or do you want to fly at better times, be guaranteed 100% mileage, and have 11 hours more to do things you care about?
Frankly a long 77W flight in J, a transit through HKG, and a relatively short Y flight on CX is how I'd rather spend an extra 11 hours. The timings of the connections in HKG actually work very well. Obviously the OP was concerned about more than just the fastest trip, and we were noting other factors that could go into a decision and suggestions about how to weigh them. Your perspective is a perfectly valid one, and it may be the best one for you given how tightly you appear to schedule your life, but it is just one perspective among many.

Furthermore, take a look at pricing. The AUS - LHR - BOM r/t can generally be purchased in BA's WTP (World Traveler Plus) for LESS than economy going via DFW. Tell your employer that you're saving him/her money and you want to be in WTP.
If true, that's worth considering. But that is an all BA route with zero chance of upgrade. The OP has SWUs available and would like to use them.

But hey, I'm the weirdo on FT. I'd rather fly SFO - ORD non-stop and spend two more hours with my family than do SFO - DFW - ORD to earn a few more miles. I realize the OP is EXP and that at least gives some shot of using the SWU. I'm not EXP so perhaps my perspective on this is skewed. For anyone who isn't EXP, there is 0 reason to fly via HKG in this situation.
Yes you are. And the OP is EXP.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Never tried it but isn't upgrading the BA legs with AA miles an option?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-...servations.jsp
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLAT, Hilton-Gold, Marriott-PLT
Originally Posted by iadp
Never tried it but isn't upgrading the BA legs with AA miles an option?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-...servations.jsp
I believe you can only upgrade on BA using AA miles only if its a full economy fare
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mohanlal2000
Unfortunately I don't have any BA miles for upgrades
20k SPG = 25K BA. Can only upgrade one cabin (including WTP), but can upgrade from discount WTP fare to business.

Originally Posted by mohanlal2000
I believe you can only upgrade on BA using AA miles only if its a full economy fare
Y, B or W. 12.5 k for W to biz, 25k for Y/B to biz.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Return at 7 PM

Great research. I don't think you are a weirdo. You evidently have chosen how and where you spend your time based on business, family, and lifestyle demands. That's great!

I, too, have had to make similar decisions. And perhaps I may have a little/alot more control over my business, family, and lifestyle demands. But, its my time. And I will determine what is a waste of my time (& $) and what is not, just as you do. Based on those decisions, and because I DETEST Heathrow and prefer AA metal, in this instance, I personally would look 1st at HKG. That's not to say I wouldn't go DFW-LHR-BOM if I had to, but I would certainly look at ALL my other options first!

Sidebar-when I go to Europe, I fly to CDG or MAD, and take either AF, IB, or the train. UK (EDI), I go to CDG and take AF or a LCC. Maybe I'm the weirdo.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 4, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
If OP were to connect via NRT, what would it likely cost (and is it even possible) to upgrade NRT-BOM on JL to PE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.