Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

[This thread is obsolete now that N800AN, American Airlines' first Being 787-8, has been announced as arriving DFW for flight trials etc. today. AA9702 departed PAE (Everett, WA) 14:07 hrs Friday, 23 January 2015, and is expected to land DFW at approximately 19:00 (local times).

Please follow the new thread here: AA's first Boeing 787 / 787-8 delivered to DFW today 23 Jan 2015)

Thank you.

/Moderator

Originally Posted by JonNYC
1st AA 787 scheduled to be delivered as AA9702, this Friday (23 Jan 2015) PAE-DFW, arriving DFW at 4:21pm
The first AA 787-8, N800AN, has been built; flight testing began 6 January 2015 with the article currently referred to as "BOE-817".

The initial 787-8 configuration is expected to be 28 J, 48 MCE and 150 MC.

Post 184 (sluggoaafa):

28 B/C, 48 MCE, 150 MC

...last word we had was the 787 is due on 'property' approximately 12/31. January will be tied to FAA. February getting a few more tweaks done. March will be first AA revenue flight.
(Post #186, JonNYC, has details for the 787-9.)

Originally Posted by American Airlines
Boeing 787s
We have plans to acquire 42 state-of-the-art 787(-8) Dreamliners, which are currently scheduled to be delivered starting in late 2014
The All Things 787 Blog states American has 16 787-8s and 26 787-9s on order.

Post #157 states first passenger flights early 2015.

JonNYC depicts what the J cabin layout is likely here in post #260.

roadwarrior84 in post #260 shares some interior photos he found online, here.

To keep things in some semblance of organisation, I've consolidated all of the 2012 threads on the 787 delivery dates, orders or delays into this thread. For reference, here are the threads I found from years past, along with their dates:

. . . ● 14 Jan 2013: American changing jet orders with Boeing, Airbus
. . . ● 12 November 2011: AA 787 delivery schedule?
. . . ● 21 December 2010: AA 787 delivery dates at risk - again!
. . . ● 2 September 2010: American's 787's may fly JFK-LHR
. . . ● 21 February 2010: Boeing 787 Dreamliner: when realistic to fly on AA?
. . . ● 17 April 2009: 787 deliveries pushed back to 2013
. . . ● 15 October 2008: AA Orders 42 787 "Dreamliners" (+ 58 on options)

Please see AA (internally) announces first B788 route for route and inaugural flights information.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I was browsing Airliners.net and found a post with a link to official projections from AA:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/f...c.-13-2012.pdf
There is no definitive answer either way. Under BK AA can renegotiate anything they want. Especially since Boeing sits on the committee, this is all subject to change any previous contracts. We really dont know what the final out come is yet.

They will probably get the planes in the end, do the terms of the earlier agreements, mean much no.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
You can fly the 787 on LAN if you wish from LAX
See here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-lax-lim.html
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And UA flies the 787 LAX-NRT as well.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Of course, nobody would be surprised if the date is pushed back some more, given the FAA's recent directive to inspect electrical systems and look over Boeing's design and assembly processes, given the recent spate of QR, ANA, UA, JL etc. faults, mostly linked to electrical problems but including a windshield break and brake failure.

US regulators have ordered a review of the 787 Dreamliner plane after a series of incidents put a question mark over the safety of Boeing's flagship plane. The review by the Federal Aviation Administration will look at the design and manufacture of the planes.

The planes will not be grounded while the safety review is carried out."
Link to BBC article

I am no Negative Nellie, but this is a completely new aircraft using some technologies that have never been used before, and I am old enough to remember the Comet I design issue (cracks leading to explosive decompression and aircraft loss with all aboard), the Lockheed L-188 Electra debacle (the deadly "whirl mode" causing the aircraft to literally shake its wings loose), the DC-10 baggage door debacle, and on and on. I am in no hurry to fly on a Boeing 787 - they will eventually work any bugs out and prove themselves, and that will be the time for me.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Very nicely elucidated...I did fly the BA Concorde, an innovation in aviation of which I have fond memories. I too can delay my desire to fly the latest carbon fiber, fly by wire, till they get all the 'kinks' out..
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, nobody would be surprised if the date is pushed back some more, given the FAA's recent directive to inspect electrical systems and look over Boeing's design and assembly processes, given the recent spate of QR, ANA, UA, JL etc. faults, mostly linked to electrical problems but including a windshield break and brake failure.

Link to BBC article

I am no Negative Nellie, but this is a completely new aircraft using some technologies that have never been used before, and I am old enough to remember the Comet I design issue (cracks leading to explosive decompression and aircraft loss with all aboard), the Lockheed L-188 Electra debacle (the deadly "whirl mode" causing the aircraft to literally shake its wings loose), the DC-10 baggage door debacle, and on and on. I am in no hurry to fly on a Boeing 787 - they will eventually work any bugs out and prove themselves, and that will be the time for me.
Boeing has some serious issues on their hands no dobut just too much evidence of that by this point. No big surprise however given the history of mismanagement of the program. Some major rework and damage control still left to do. It's pretty bad when the FAA reopens this kinda thing.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Why is Japan Airlines the only one with 787 problems?

Sounds like a problem with Japan Airlines
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
FYI- you probably didn't realize that you posted this in the AA, not JAL, forum.

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP is incorrect. Other airlines have had issues with their 787s as well.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
UA had to make an unscheduled landing recently.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
ANA, the other major Japanese airline has also had problems with the 787.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
But, as history will serve, there have always been a handful of issues with the first planes off the line. 777 had issues, 747 had issues, .... this is nothing new. Just another example of main stream media sensationalizing the news. "Making mountains out of molehills."
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some of the airlines that have had troubles with 787s: Qatar, which grounded one of its three because of electrical problems; United, which had to make an emergency landing with a 787 with electrical problems; ANA (cracked window, engine generator oil leak, brake problems), JL (battery fire and fuel leak), etc.

The FAA has issued a directive calling for "a review" of this aircraft.

BBC Video here

BBC article here

This will be merged into the existing 787 thread in this forum.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:23 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Why is Japan Airlines the only one with 787 problems?

Originally Posted by modesto
Sounds like a problem with Japan Airlines
Don't they are News in your Area..ANA, Air India, Qatar, United and LAN have all reported significant problems in the past few weeks.

Is it a coincidence that the OPs Home Airport is also the Head Office of Boeing
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
..ANA, Air India, Qatar, United and LAN have all reported significant problems in the past few weeks....
The only significant problems I've heard of were the two Boston JAL, one United diversion to MSY and the ANA cracked window etc problem. Air India, Qatar have had some problems too but I've never heard of LAN having any problems resulting in grounding of the plane.

When did LAN have a "Significant" problem? I'm just curious.

Even with all these preliminary problems with the 787, I can honestly say that its still one of my favorite aircraft out there. I had the chance to fly it with a total of almost 12 hours flight time over the course of 3 flights on United.

It's one of the most quietest planes out there and the lower altitude makes a BIG difference and made me feel well rested once you've completed your journey. LOVE the electronic shades too! Thought I'd still prefer a total blackout shade for the longhaul daytime flights since having the sun in your sight is not pleasant even with the maximum darkness shade setting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.