Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

[This thread is obsolete now that N800AN, American Airlines' first Being 787-8, has been announced as arriving DFW for flight trials etc. today. AA9702 departed PAE (Everett, WA) 14:07 hrs Friday, 23 January 2015, and is expected to land DFW at approximately 19:00 (local times).

Please follow the new thread here: AA's first Boeing 787 / 787-8 delivered to DFW today 23 Jan 2015)

Thank you.

/Moderator

Originally Posted by JonNYC
1st AA 787 scheduled to be delivered as AA9702, this Friday (23 Jan 2015) PAE-DFW, arriving DFW at 4:21pm
The first AA 787-8, N800AN, has been built; flight testing began 6 January 2015 with the article currently referred to as "BOE-817".

The initial 787-8 configuration is expected to be 28 J, 48 MCE and 150 MC.

Post 184 (sluggoaafa):

28 B/C, 48 MCE, 150 MC

...last word we had was the 787 is due on 'property' approximately 12/31. January will be tied to FAA. February getting a few more tweaks done. March will be first AA revenue flight.
(Post #186, JonNYC, has details for the 787-9.)

Originally Posted by American Airlines
Boeing 787s
We have plans to acquire 42 state-of-the-art 787(-8) Dreamliners, which are currently scheduled to be delivered starting in late 2014
The All Things 787 Blog states American has 16 787-8s and 26 787-9s on order.

Post #157 states first passenger flights early 2015.

JonNYC depicts what the J cabin layout is likely here in post #260.

roadwarrior84 in post #260 shares some interior photos he found online, here.

To keep things in some semblance of organisation, I've consolidated all of the 2012 threads on the 787 delivery dates, orders or delays into this thread. For reference, here are the threads I found from years past, along with their dates:

. . . ● 14 Jan 2013: American changing jet orders with Boeing, Airbus
. . . ● 12 November 2011: AA 787 delivery schedule?
. . . ● 21 December 2010: AA 787 delivery dates at risk - again!
. . . ● 2 September 2010: American's 787's may fly JFK-LHR
. . . ● 21 February 2010: Boeing 787 Dreamliner: when realistic to fly on AA?
. . . ● 17 April 2009: 787 deliveries pushed back to 2013
. . . ● 15 October 2008: AA Orders 42 787 "Dreamliners" (+ 58 on options)

Please see AA (internally) announces first B788 route for route and inaugural flights information.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

AA's 787 deliveries have been delayed several times since AA placed the order in 2008. Initially, deliveries were to have begun in 2012, but the most recent word from AA is that deliveries are expected in late 2014.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
They still are not a firm order. I think the 737 Max isnt either, but the A320neo is.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and the info on the 787.

I'm sure the 737 Max will be delayed as well. The first delivery isn't scheduled for another 4 years to the first airline yet alone AA. So in base case situation it will be 5 years or so before AA sees the plane, and as we all know, a lot changes in the aviation industry in 5 years.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
My understanding is that AA wants the 787-9 as opposed to the 787-8 which is currently flying. This has added to the longer delays.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:34 pm

AA has agreed to purchase 42 787-9s on firm order and have 58 additional aircraft that they can confirm or reject at a later date with delivery beginning in 2014. Here is a URL that describes that order.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-get-its.html/

Boeing will be building the 787-9s at Seattle rather than Charleston and will be producing them on their "Surge Line" 40-24 (there are 2 other 787 lines, 40-26 in Seattle and a Charleston Line). The last 787-8 to be begun in 2012 is starting production now and will be aircraft 97 which will be going to ANA and is on the "Surge Line". The 787-9 production is scheduled to begin with aircraft 126 which appears to be started in mid-June, and allowing 6 weeks for production and 6 weeks for ground checks, should begin flying by early September. How long it takes to get FAA approval is dependent on how many problems there are with the aircraft. I do not know what the line numbers are for the AA 787-9s nor do I know how many 9s will be off the line before AA's.

If you are in Seattle, one of the neat things to do is to make reservations for the Boeing tour and see the completed AA aircraft on the ground and other aircraft in production. There is a small museum that one can spend some time at while awaiting the assigned tour to begin. It is not essential to have tickets prior to arriving at the Boeing factory, but it is highly recommended.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I was there a few weeks ago and saw the 787 production line. It;'s amazing how quick they can build an airplane. This is my dream down to work there and help put an airplane together.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:19 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gohogsgo
Does anyone know what the status is of the AA 787 orders? I've googled it and I see where they say they have placed orders, but no sites are showing they have firm orders. In the statement released by AA they said they would be received between 2012 and 2018. If they have in fact ordered the 787, when can we expect to see them in service? I assume the 787 will be to compliment the 77w that are currently on order?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Gohosgo!

We've merged your question in to our existing thread discussing the orders and delays of AA's 787. For a brief summary of the topic, please see the "mod note" in the first post of this thread.

Thanks! /Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the greeting everyone!

I was in Seattle last year and did the boeing tour and it is simply amazing watching how these big birds come together.

Being from Northwest Arkansas (XNA) and now living in Dallas, my airline of choice for quite some time has been American, and getting all of these new planes is very exciting. While the MD-80's are not terrible planes, the overall experience lacks a lot. I am looking forward to the days where I'll be on 737 and A319 every time I take a domestic flight.

With that being said, I'm going to FCO in April and gonna be on a 767 from ORD. I've done this before and I don't think there is a worse experience in flying then flying on this bucket of bolts for 9 1/2 hours. I hope they take these out of international service VERY SOON!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
AA has agreed to purchase 42 787-9s on firm order and have 58 additional aircraft that they can confirm or reject at a later date with delivery beginning in 2014. Here is a URL that describes that order.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-get-its.html/

Boeing will be building the 787-9s at Seattle rather than Charleston and will be producing them on their "Surge Line" 40-24 (there are 2 other 787 lines, 40-26 in Seattle and a Charleston Line). The last 787-8 to be begun in 2012 is starting production now and will be aircraft 97 which will be going to ANA and is on the "Surge Line". The 787-9 production is scheduled to begin with aircraft 126 which appears to be started in mid-June, and allowing 6 weeks for production and 6 weeks for ground checks, should begin flying by early September. How long it takes to get FAA approval is dependent on how many problems there are with the aircraft. I do not know what the line numbers are for the AA 787-9s nor do I know how many 9s will be off the line before AA's.

If you are in Seattle, one of the neat things to do is to make reservations for the Boeing tour and see the completed AA aircraft on the ground and other aircraft in production. There is a small museum that one can spend some time at while awaiting the assigned tour to begin. It is not essential to have tickets prior to arriving at the Boeing factory, but it is highly recommended.
Does the AA pilot agreement currently ratified qualify for the required agreement to operate the 787? If so, and assuming a November 2014 delivery, they must confirm the order by May 2013, correct?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Does the AA pilot agreement currently ratified qualify for the required agreement to operate the 787? If so, and assuming a November 2014 delivery, they must confirm the order by May 2013, correct?
The currrent reconfirmation date is May 1, 2014, having been pushed back multiple times (due to Boeing production delays). Initially, deliveries were to have begun this year.

The ratified pilot agreement removes all obstacles to operating the 787, but the bankruptcy has thrown a wrinkle into the mix. Here is the latest word from AA on the order (from the 3Q 10-Q):

In 2008, American entered into a purchase agreement with Boeing (subject to certain reconfirmation rights) to acquire 42 Boeing 787-9 aircraft, with the right to acquire an additional 58 Boeing 787-9 aircraft. American’s first Boeing 787-9 aircraft was previously scheduled to deliver (subject to reconfirmation rights) in 2014; however, due to production issues such delivery has been delayed. American has selected GE Aviation as the exclusive provider of engines for its expected order of Boeing 787-9 aircraft. The assumption of the agreements related to our Boeing 787-9 aircraft order is subject to collaboration with the Company’s key stakeholders and, in some instances, approval of the Bankruptcy Court. The Company cannot predict what the outcome of discussions with these stakeholders and of the Bankruptcy Court process will be.
Nevertheless, management has continued to talk about the 42 787s that are on the way, so I assume that the order will not be rejected.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:51 pm

My understanding was they had to confirm the order 18 months before delivery or May 1, 2014, whichever came first. If they wait until May 1, they would not receive delivery until November 2015.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding was they had to confirm the order 18 months before delivery or May 1, 2014, whichever came first. If they wait until May 1, they would not receive delivery until November 2015.
Yes, except that the reconfirmation rights evaporated when AA and its pilots reached a satisfactory agreement. Assuming that the UCC and the bankruptcy court don't object to AA's assumption of the 787 purchase agreement, there's no longer any reconfirmation rights or notice required, so the May 1, 2014 date becomes irrelevant.

When the contract is assumed by the debtor, AA has 42 787s on the way with delivery dates determined by whenever Boeing can deliver them. The language in the third quarter 10Q makes it sound like management doesn't see Boeing able to deliver the first 787 to AA prior to sometime in 2015.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
At this point it must be cleared by the BK committee and judge. So far this has not occurred. The order will still likely happen but it's not confirmed as of yet.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Yes, except that the reconfirmation rights evaporated when AA and its pilots reached a satisfactory agreement. Assuming that the UCC and the bankruptcy court don't object to AA's assumption of the 787 purchase agreement, there's no longer any reconfirmation rights or notice required, so the May 1, 2014 date becomes irrelevant.

When the contract is assumed by the debtor, AA has 42 787s on the way with delivery dates determined by whenever Boeing can deliver them. The language in the third quarter 10Q makes it sound like management doesn't see Boeing able to deliver the first 787 to AA prior to sometime in 2015.
That's mostly speculation. We really dont know what the contract with Boeing says. What we do know is nothing can be confirmed until the judge and BK committee agrees and that has not occurred yet. The order is in limbo until that happens.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA

I was browsing Airliners.net and found a post with a link to official projections from AA:

- Slide 37 shows the layout of AA's massive aircraft order book through 2017, most of which was already known, although it does also show a clear picture of the 787 delivery timeline, with 2 in 2014, 11 in 2015, and 13 in 2016, and then everything from 2017 onward for all aircraft redacted
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/f...c.-13-2012.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.