Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing 787 Dreamliner: when realistic to fly on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Boeing 787 Dreamliner: when realistic to fly on AA?

anyone has guess as to when actually AA will have the new / future Boeing Drealiner flying?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deliveries are currently scheduled for 2013, so I'll guess late that year or early 2014.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
At this point no sooner than 2013. They still have to get the pilots to agree to ULH flying, and become certified on the aircraft.

If AA can get their act together and maybe secure some earlier slots we could, in theory, see them in late 2012.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
At this point no sooner than 2013. They still have to get the pilots to agree to ULH flying, and become certified on the aircraft.

If AA can get their act together and maybe secure some earlier slots we could, in theory, see them in late 2012.
To have the Pilots and Arpey agree to anything is going to be an issue.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Either way, I'm giddy to fly on one. I know it sounds dumb, but it just looks incredible in the pictures I've seen. I'm sure that they'll all be in JFK for TATLs but it would be nice to see them in DFW as well.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:28 pm

This is always contingent on the fact that Boeing truly has its act together finally on the 787 program. The whole thing, as well as Airbus' A380 program, have all the earmarks of a Keystone Cop farce.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
Either way, I'm giddy to fly on one. I know it sounds dumb, but it just looks incredible in the pictures I've seen. I'm sure that they'll all be in JFK for TATLs but it would be nice to see them in DFW as well.

I would actually expect most of them to be DFW based, using these aircraft on JFK TATL routes is really a waste as they are capable of much greater distances, especially now that they are using a lot of 75L's of these flights. For example I would expect either AA or more likely QF to do DFW-SYD with 787's. I also expect AA to start some Africa services from DFW and MIA with 787's.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Originally Posted by Pedler
I would actually expect most of them to be DFW based, using these aircraft on JFK TATL routes is really a waste as they are capable of much greater distances, especially now that they are using a lot of 75L's of these flights. For example I would expect either AA or more likely QF to do DFW-SYD with 787's. I also expect AA to start some Africa services from DFW and MIA with 787's.
Shoot, and I was expecting them on the Dallas - Lubbock route. Gosh isn't that curvy engine cowl sexy!!!

Cheers Larry.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
My future father in law will love to hear that one if it's true -- he flies DFW-LOS-DFW every month, but the connection always changes since he has to fly DL/NW/KLM.

Glad to hear there is some hope of getting them in Dallas though, it will be nice touch!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by best
anyone has guess as to when actually AA will have the new / future Boeing Drealiner flying?
Everyone has a guess, and I suspect that you will see a lot of them. Mine is August 23, 2015. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:27 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
For example I would expect either AA or more likely QF to do DFW-SYD with 787's. I also expect AA to start some Africa services from DFW and MIA with 787's.
Don't hold your breath for that route. The 787-8 is not going to have the legs for it and the 787-9 will be marginal even with the ambitious Boeing predictions.

The published range numbers from Boeing need to be read with some context. For example, looking at a know real example from Boeing, they claim a range of 7670nm for the 747-400ER. QF's operational experience with the 747-400ER shows that LAX-MEL is the range limit for a full passenger load, and that is about 6900nm. Boeing have listed the 787-8 range as 7650 - 8200, so at the top end of that prediction it is 530nm more than the 747-400 and DFW-SYD is 570nm more than LAX-MEL.

So if the 787-8 lives up to the maximum range stated by Boeing, its ability to operate with a full load on DFW-SYD will be optimistic at best. The 787-9 is expected to add another 300nm to the max range. But again, Boeing make no mention of the effects of a full fuel load on passenger numbers. Being able to carry enough fuel to make the flight does not make it economical to operate a service. If they could really get 8000+nm from a 787, QF would be looking to operate PER-LHR.

I expect QF will retain the A380 and 744-ER for the SYD/MEL-USA routes. They may operate 787 on BNE/AKL-USA routes. I cannot see AA re-starting Australia routes when they take delivery of 787. The QF codeshare/partnership works well for both sides. More likely to see them on DFW/LAX to Europe and maybe opening up some new options into Asia.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Shoot, and I was expecting them on the Dallas - Lubbock route. Gosh isn't that curvy engine cowl sexy!!!

Cheers Larry.
If only I could be so lucky! ^
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by NM
Don't hold your breath for that route. The 787-8 is not going to have the legs for it and the 787-9 will be marginal even with the ambitious Boeing predictions.
Boeing's predictions are based on the Aero Engine Database which is many order of magnitudes better than whatever you can come up with. Company policy dictates the range limit of a full passenger load and not necessary the max range of an aircraft. Since you are not an aircraft designer I don't expect you to understand this. Cargo operation is within the aircraft Performance Predictions. Passenger operation is another matter.

Now that the 747-800 has passed its first flight earlier this month, the future of the A380 is even more questionable.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most industry observers note that the first 787-9 won't be delivered until early in 2013 (at the earliest), so AA getting some in late 2012 would be quite a feat.

Air New Zealand expecting the first 787-9 in early 2013:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...7-9-deliv.html

AA already has some of the earliest delivery positions for the 787-9.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
OT, but fun to imagine

Here's visual representation of where AA could fly from its five biggest international hubs with a 787-8 (range 8200 nm - high estimate)

DFW

MIA

JFK

ORD

LAX

Last edited by farrish11; Feb 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: wrong range...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.