Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Avis: Earn 3,000 or 5,000 AAdvantage miles and up to 35% off, until 15 Sep 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis: Earn 3,000 or 5,000 AAdvantage miles and up to 35% off, until 15 Sep 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by rbphilip
My second rental bonus showed up 8 weeks after the rental.
Is it same day multiple/duplicate rental?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:22 pm

Regarding the OP link, does it matter which credit card I use to pay for the car rental if I want to get the AA miles? Would there be any advantage to using my Citi AA Visa Signature rather than, say, my AMEX SPG or Chase Sapphire Preferred? I want to use the card with the best insurance as well as bonus points.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Regarding the OP link, does it matter which credit card I use to pay for the car rental if I want to get the AA miles? Would there be any advantage to using my Citi AA Visa Signature rather than, say, my AMEX SPG or Chase Sapphire Preferred? I want to use the card with the best insurance as well as bonus points.
This deal ended September 15, 2012.
There's another offer running right now, but definitely not as lucrative.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
Is it same day multiple/duplicate rental?
No.

First rental showed up immediately. Rental from 2 days later took nearly 8 weeks. Had to call AA to get it sorted out, as Avis sent the points immediately the rental was finished.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
This deal ended September 15, 2012.
There's another offer running right now, but definitely not as lucrative.
The OP link still works. Maybe this one isn't as good as the previous one?

http://aav12.aavacations.com/Consume...c=ABCarPlanner

Anyway, I'd like to use a card with travel bonuses and with rental insurance. But is there any reason I should use my Citi AA Visa card?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
The OP link still works. Maybe this one isn't as good as the previous one?

http://aav12.aavacations.com/Consume...c=ABCarPlanner

Anyway, I'd like to use a card with travel bonuses and with rental insurance. But is there any reason I should use my Citi AA Visa card?
It's nowhere near as good as the previous one (which was 3000 bonus miles for a 1-2 day rental, 5000 bonus miles for a 3+ day rental). But it works, while the previous one doesn't.

You need to figure out exactly what rental insurance (if any) each of your cards has (for example, within the US many credit car rental insurances are secondary to your own personal car insurance, unless you have no personal car insurance), and only for those cards where that is sufficient choose the one that earns the best rewards.

What you earn on a card is totally independent of what you earn from Avis itself. So there's no special need to use an AA card when using an AA promo, and another card when using another companiy's promo.

Btw, other Avis promos available now are listed in this thread (in the Avis forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis/...romotions.html
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
And since Evan! left the room - - this is about the best I've found for a comprehensive comparison...

http://www.frequentflyerbonuses.com/carbonus.html

And the homepage, of course, leads to most of what a miles & points person wants to know.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:00 pm

On 10/6/2012 I used the code A515100 and it cut the price of my rental by more than a third. Uncertain how the use of this code affects the points that I earn through my airline.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Yes, A515100 worked many times and I received all points recently. ^
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum
It was like puling teeth with Avis, but my 5000 AA miles finally posted!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Data points:

I had four total rentals. 8/31, PHL; 9/1, SBA; 9/2, SBA; 9/13 PHL
Total Spent: 118.95
Total Awarded: 8,200; expecting it to go to 8,700
CPM: 1.36

Turns out Avis totally snuckered me on the last one by changing the landing page to list MUA055. I cannot even believe I fell for that, but then again, I can't find my screen shot for it either. How many people fell for that?

Avis also pulled a fast one, by *finally* awarding 9/1 and 9/2 as 5,000 miles (instead of 2x3,000 =6,000). I conceded defeat there, but after the last trick, I would say Avis has made a serious enemy. Hertz Gold is so efficient and none of my interactions with Avis were as easy as some other posters.

Anybody think I should go after the other 1,000?

Cheers,
Ed
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:29 pm

1) eddieflyer, yes. I think it's worth a couple of calls to Avis. (FlyerTalk Rule #2: "If at first...") You might find yourself having to struggle a lot harder someday for 1,000 mi. to top off your AAccount when it really matters.

2) More generally, and for the good of the order, I'm about to report over on the Club Carlson (Radisson etc.) board that using the "wrong" AWD does matter sometimes. I've been using AWD A515100 right along, for this and that promos. Looong wait for this promo's AA miles to post, as I posted above. But post they did.

Well, well, well... Nothing in ~12 weeks over in my Carlson account for one rental, and now two weeks for a second. I threw in the towel and called. Carlson wouldn't accept because I used the wrong AWD, even though the coupon code was correct.

And to sort the contradiction here between 1) and 2) here -- it's at Carlson's end, and I did call several times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.