Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are the Wine Glasses So Small?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Is this one too full?

(The Meiomi is delicious - just had some last week. ^)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Convenient thread for me as I am flying LHR-MIA on Thursday on AA in F. It's my first time in on AA since about 2003, when I brought on board an Yquem 1990 and a Pichon Baron '97, both halves (link). I asked the FA to cool the Yquem (not too much!) and to open the Pichon Baron in advance, no problem, but she did say she had to ask the Capt if it was alright. Whether that happened or not I don't know. This was before the liquid ban of course.

So is the stemware in transatlantic F these days OK or shall I take my own on board? Have to say I am in trepidation but the ticket was half the price of BA.

Is it true that the same food is served in F as J nowadays on AA? Sorry for the OT question,

Cheers, Howard
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Howard Long
So is the stemware in transatlantic F these days OK or shall I take my own on board? Have to say I am in trepidation but the ticket was half the price of BA.
Just as tiny as ever.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Just as tiny as ever.
In F on the 777's they're not too bad- not as big as the ones I have at home, but not as small as the tiny ones in J on the 777's...... Or on the domestic flights.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Just as tiny as ever.
Not true. Long haul F and 2-class J were upgraded to larger stemware several years back.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Not true. Long haul F and 2-class J were upgraded to larger stemware several years back.
Yes. Bigger than domestic F, but still not big enough!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, MHC, Amex Plat
I haven't seen regular stemware in years in J. I recall around 5 or more years ago that they had just started adult size glasses instead of thimbles. They also started the Sundae cart at about the same time. The FA's were so proud as the glasses were nicely packed in cushy boxes. Their pride turned to terror when by the 2nd round they had run out of wine. Who would have thought . I haven't seen the tall stemware since so I assume that they didn't want to spend the money on wine.

Which also makes me wonder why we drink Australian wines on Argentina or Chile flights? Would it be impossible to provision Corona/Tequila on Mexico flights? Mai Tai's to HNL?

Where's the Sundae cart? Did they run out of Butterscotch?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just got off an ORD-DCA flight on which I was in First. I was given a "Snack" meal tray which was pretty decent and contained one of the small wine glasses. However, I was never offered wine or even water to fill it. Such a waste!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Microwave
Three class first always gets real stemware. Two class flights which get "upgraded" catering also get it in business. AFAIK
What do you mean by upgraded catering? Are AA J pax ever offered normal stemware inflight or are they just larger sippy cups than domestic first?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What do you mean by upgraded catering? Are AA J pax ever offered normal stemware inflight or are they just larger sippy cups than domestic first?
3 Class First gets the larger wine glass
3 Class business gets the small wine glass
2 Class Business gets the larger wine glass
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HNL
Responding over a year later (but still relevant) so two class J gets the same wine glass and ice cream sundae as three class F??
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yes thats still the case.....and why i prefer two class J over 3 class J any day.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yes thats still the case.....and why i prefer two class J over 3 class J any day.
Which routes have "two class J" and large wine glasses? I assume we're not talking about two class domestic flights where the forward cabin is branded as "First" but really has a J level of service, since those flights still have the small wine glasses.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by metallo
Originally Posted by HNL
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Which routes have "two class J" and large wine glasses? I assume we're not talking about two class domestic flights where the forward cabin is branded as "First" but really has a J level of service, since those flights still have the small wine glasses.
We're talking about IFS (International Flagship Service) routes, meaning flight to/from Europe, Asia, and Deep South America operated with 763 equipment. Not sure if the larger wine glasses are offered on 75L IFS flights since I've never flown on one myself. But the made-to-order sundaes are offered on both 763 and 75L in 2-class J.

On these flights, the entrees are also plated on board and the 3-tiered trolley is used for dessert instead of the normal service carts.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
GRU-JFK on the 77W in J: Nice fast bar service and following meal service (pre sleep). I was offered the small wine glass but then there was a hesitation when I suggested it was a bit small. FA said "let me supersize that" - and used a bigger water glass instead for the wine. Smart thinking - and let him get his job done quicker without doing refills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.