Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are the Wine Glasses So Small?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Was on a flight a few months ago where someone brandished their own Reidel stemless glass on the plane and used that. Made me blink a bit to see borderline box wine going into a nice-ish glass.
Must have been the same guy who pulled out a pepper grinder when dinner service started on PBI-DFW. Even had a custom drink holder which hooked onto the window!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Was on a flight a few months ago where someone brandished their own Reidel stemless glass on the plane and used that. Made me blink a bit to see borderline box wine going into a nice-ish glass.
We should start a trend.. bring your own wine glasses. I wonder how long it would take before it would be banned?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riteshraja
Must have been the same guy who pulled out a pepper grinder when dinner service started on PBI-DFW. Even had a custom drink holder which hooked onto the window!
Did they also bring a proper sundae dish?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Maybe one AA cut a deal with the other AA

--J
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Funny. A friend of mine always brings beer salt on the plane - last time she flew the FA was so enamored with it (asking questions and whatnot) that several of the 1st class types sitting around her asked to borrow it for their corona.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
We should start a trend.. bring your own wine glasses. I wonder how long it would take before it would be banned?
Or bring our own coffee mugs to certain ACs like MIA and JFK. Really, those damn Barbie Girl coffee cups hold about five swallows of coffee, assuming some of it does not get sloshed onto the carpet as you are walking back to your seat.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I've noticed this as well in Business class TATL flights on US LO UA. LH served wine in adult size wine glasses.
When I asked for 3rd glass on LO flight I got a look from FA like I'm some sort of alcoholic.
Wow - on all the international flights they've all but given me the bottle without asking.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A lot of the wine on domestic flights is so bad I wouldn't want to drink anymore than the amount they give me in the small glass!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by WChou
The smaller wine glasses probably simplifies catering and maximizes space usage inside the carts. Turned sideways, they are not much taller than the other components on the trays. Probably cheaper to go with the small glasses than redesigning and deploying new catering carts for one glass.

As for getting more booze, I've never been turned down either when requesting the larger glass.
I'm pretty sure this plays a big role (logistics & standardization). The tray spacing on the carts and cabinets for a majority of the aircraft are likely a standard of ~ 5 inches. The stemmed 'thimbles' would fit into the racks/trays as well as the regular cocktail and soda glasses that AA uses. These racks go into the carts that have pre-determined spacing for the racks. Standard stemmed wine glasses are closer to ~ 7 inches or taller. This would mean having to reconfigure all service carts, storage cabinets in the aircraft. "F" in the 762 and the 777 likely have a special rack and spacing for such to accommodate the upgraded stemware used on these flights. All speculation, but I'm pretty sure this is a big factor.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
A lot of the wine on domestic flights is so bad I wouldn't want to drink anymore than the amount they give me in the small glass!
The highest praise I typically can give to the domestic wines is "hmmm...that's not too bad." Every now and again, something is pretty good. The international wines are better..and they have even had Brunello on occasion...but not enough

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
The highest praise I typically can give to the domestic wines is "hmmm...that's not too bad." Every now and again, something is pretty good. The international wines are better..and they have even had Brunello on occasion...but not enough

Cheers.

Maybe I'm in left field, or maybe it's the routes I fly, but I've always found the wines on any 762, 763, or 777 to be at least decent, sometimes really good. I typically fly Transcon, TATL, and Transpac.

The wines on nearly any other domestic route are decidedly average or less.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, I've been known to bring one of those minature bottles of Tabasco sauce on board with me.....

Just kinda adds the right Louisiana touch to the ol' bloody mary, you know....

Plus, the FAs usually get a kick out of seeing it sitting there next to the cocktail....
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Maybe I'm in left field, or maybe it's the routes I fly, but I've always found the wines on any 762, 763, or 777 to be at least decent, sometimes really good. I typically fly Transcon, TATL, and Transpac.

The wines on nearly any other domestic route are decidedly average or less.
We typically fly midcons...and I was only referring to the domestic offerings. Even there, I would expect transcon to have better wine. So, I think we're consistent here

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by brp
We typically fly midcons...and I was only referring to the domestic offerings. Even there, I would expect transcon to have better wine. So, I think we're consistent here

Cheers.
There is actually an advantage to having a less capable palate like mine - I can't tell the difference between wines on domestic and international flights. Since I mainly do domestic on AA, I don't experience any pain slurping whatever it is out of a cocktail glass. When the FA shows me the bottle, I just smile and give a thumbs up. BTW: I eat lunch or dinner in the AC at least couple of times per week there so that may show the limitations of my palate
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:16 pm

And if you ask nicely, a FA will go up to F and bring you back a large stem glasss for your wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.