Why Are the Wine Glasses So Small?

Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

This may have been covered but why are the AA wine glasses the size of a shot glass? Is there a reason they don't do wine in a regular glass? Makes me feel like a boozehound asking for a refill. Aren't there stemless wineglasses out there?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:54 pm

Awesome.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
This may have been covered but why are the AA wine glasses the size of a shot glass? Is there a reason they don't do wine in a regular glass? Makes me feel like a boozehound asking for a refill. Aren't there stemless wineglasses out there?
They're probably small so you won't drink as much. The less you (and everyone else) drink, the less money is spent on wine.

About your question: Every AA flight I've ever been on has dozens of stemless wineglasses on board - they're the rocks glasses in which mixed drinks and sodas (and my wine) are served.

AA does actually stock full size, stemmed wineglasses in premium cabins on certain flights.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've noticed this as well in Business class TATL flights on US LO UA. LH served wine in adult size wine glasses.
When I asked for 3rd glass on LO flight I got a look from FA like I'm some sort of alcoholic.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
If they are small, it just means I ring the call bell more often.
Although I like drinking hard liquor more.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I ask for a regular cocktail glass when ordering wine on AA and have never been told no. It's not the size of the glass that bothers me, but concerns over the high center of gravity with stemmed glasses. The bigger glass allows the wine to slosh around more without spilling as well.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ksweeney
I ask for a regular cocktail glass when ordering wine on AA and have never been told no.
I do the same; I ask for my wine "in a big kid glass", and usually get a smile along with it.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantge; AmEx Plat; SPG; Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If they are small, it just means I ring the call bell more often.
Although I like drinking hard liquor more.
I've often wondered this small glass question myself.

That said....do you really ring the call bell for more liquor? I normally do a lot of neck craning and attempts to grab the FA's eye contact when I need a refill of glenlivet to ensure I get the remainder. I always just assumed ringing the bell for alcohol was a no-no.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:18 pm

The smaller wine glasses probably simplifies catering and maximizes space usage inside the carts. Turned sideways, they are not much taller than the other components on the trays. Probably cheaper to go with the small glasses than redesigning and deploying new catering carts for one glass.

As for getting more booze, I've never been turned down either when requesting the larger glass.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Originally Posted by Microwave
I do the same; I ask for my wine "in a big kid glass", and usually get a smile along with it.
Indeed. I find that the observant FAs quickly size up the needs of those of us with an interest in the grape and provide suitable stemless ware. As a brother of mine once said, never mind the quality, look at the size
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:43 pm

Why even bother with glass!?? Ask for the bottle and a long bendy straw!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
And, if you make small holes in the straw, it'll aerate the wine as you slurp. Sort of like a Venturi

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Switch to cocktails...those are full size and I have no trouble at all asking for my 4th. Besides, the wine on AA hasn't ever impressed me too much anyway.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:00 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Microwave
Ditto. If I want more than a shot, I generally ask for it in a "big boy cup" and get an understanding smile.

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Definitely been tempted before on long 12 hour flights. After being topped off 3-4 times, I get tempted just to ask for the bottle. I'll have to save my extra-long straw from my next Big Gulp and bring it with me.

Originally Posted by brp
And, if you make small holes in the straw, it'll aerate the wine as you slurp. Sort of like a Venturi

Cheers.
Yes! Brilliant!!! ^
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by blakepilot
Switch to cocktails...those are full size and I have no trouble at all asking for my 4th. Besides, the wine on AA hasn't ever impressed me too much anyway.
Never gotten that good old puritanical hesitancy based on the FA's personal consumption habits ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.