Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are the Wine Glasses So Small?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
When I ask for a "stemless" wine glass, I simply tell the FA that I'm a klutz and I fear breaking the full-size stemware; works every time.
Thanks for the tip!

(actually, have experienced this several times, perhaps the FA's wanted to make fewer trips)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
^ A great idea! As for a sippy cup of wine, what's wrong with that? I mean, whatever works... though the plastic would demean the taste of a genuinely good wine.

When I ask for a "stemless" wine glass, I simply tell the FA that I'm a klutz and I fear breaking the full-size stemware; works every time.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A standard glass of wine is 125 ml (sources: memory and this article)

AA's glasses don't seem that small. Anyone knows how much liquid they actually contain?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
A standard glass of wine is 125 ml (sources: memory and this article)

AA's glasses don't seem that small. Anyone knows how much liquid they actually contain?
A normal wine pour is 6 oz. This corresponds to about 175ml. 125ml is about 4.25 oz.

And, even if the pour were to be 125ml, the reason for the larger glass is to increase the surface area to allow more air/wine contact as this has an impact on the flavor.

So, the small glass is still an abomination. (and yes, while everything I wrote is true, this last line is certainly hyperbolic and half-facetious )

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I also ask for a "tumbler," and if there is resistance (about 20% of the time), I pour the cocktail to my stem glass and then present my tumbler for the wine from the cart.

In any case, the stem glasses splash and tip very easily. I've had two spill (neither onto me, fortunately) in the past year, once by a FA and once by a window passenger bumping the minitray. The tumblers do not spill nearly as easily.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by brp
And, even if the pour were to be 125ml, the reason for the larger glass is to increase the surface area to allow more air/wine contact as this has an impact on the flavor.
Also to allow your nose to be in the glass when you take a sip; this has an enormous effect on the "flavor," which is really mostly the smell (bouquet, if you wish). This, to me, is the biggest problem with the small glasses.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fastflyer
... The tumblers do not spill nearly as easily.
Quite ironic..
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Also to allow your nose to be in the glass when you take a sip; this has an enormous effect on the "flavor," which is really mostly the smell (bouquet, if you wish). This, to me, is the biggest problem with the small glasses.
Well, AA serve their reds too cold, so the bouquet is minimal, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Plus the air is as thin as in Aspen, CO and typically very, very dry (the air, not the wine). All in all, probably not an ideal place to taste very fine wines.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Plus the air is as thin as in Aspen, CO and typically very, very dry (the air, not the wine). All in all, probably not an ideal place to taste very fine wines.
So, makes me wonder why is the annual "Food & Wine Festival http://www.foodandwine.com/classic " is held in Aspen?

Last edited by teemuflyer; Oct 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm Reason: get the link to work :-)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
So, makes me wonder why is the annual "Food & Wine Festival http://www.foodandwine.com/classic " is held in Aspen?

They're the experts, not me. For decades, I've heard that the dry, thin air at altitude (equating to approx 8,000 feet) is not conducive to our senses of smell and taste. I've read explanations that the catering companies try to compensate for the diminished senses in their food and I've read that really fine wine is wasted if it's served at 37,000 feet because of the dry, thin air. Whom to believe?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
.... tis a shame, cause screw on cap wine is always the pinnacle of good taste, wonderful bouquet, and slight notes of _____?!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

This post reminds me of my second question - can you bring your own unopened bottle of wine onto the plane and have them serve it to you? If you bought it at duty free or something?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:57 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

Back on the reason I bumped this thread....is it really a new policy making is a no-no to serve wine in a tumbler? Or is this a made up FA rule?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
This post reminds me of my second question - can you bring your own unopened bottle of wine onto the plane and have them serve it to you? If you bought it at duty free or something?
Last time it was discussed here, you could bring your own alcohol, provided you give it to the flight attendant so that they serve you, as long as you were in a premium cabin. I haven't done this for a couple of years. We need a flight attendant to post here.

Originally Posted by HNL
Back on the reason I bumped this thread....is it really a new policy making is a no-no to serve wine in a tumbler? Or is this a made up FA rule?
Last week, I got no pushback on four flights, and that was October, so I'm inclined to think it's not actually a new rule. But more datapoints would be useful, as well as an actual flight attendant weighing in.

Paging Sluggo or Skylady to the white courtesy phone . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.