Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are the Wine Glasses So Small?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Originally Posted by brp
The international wines are better..and they have even had Brunello on occasion...but not enough
Cheers.
Often had a Brunello (or a number of them actually) on the AA235/236 FCO/JFK routes and usually the supply was exhausted by the time the flight was only 2/3rds complete.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by jcf27
Maybe one AA cut a deal with the other AA

--J
+1 -- well played!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
Often had a Brunello (or a number of them actually) on the AA235/236 FCO/JFK routes and usually the supply was exhausted by the time the flight was only 2/3rds complete.
Running out of a fine wine is entirely excusable when everyone realizes what's on the cart. AA is generally pretty good on adequately stocking the plane based on flight duration. AA is definitely better than DL on insuring adequate liquor in FC.

Last year I was on a Sunday night flight on a CRJ-900 out of MEM that had no red wine on board at all. This came out when the FA was taking pre-flight drink orders. I quietly settled for a Bloody Mary, but several passengers were insisting to no avail for catering to come back. I wanted to get to PHX so I'm glad that DL did not comply with the passenger requests, but the fact that it happened in the first place says something about how poor DL service is compared to AA service.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by 777lover
And if you ask nicely, a FA will go up to F and bring you back a large stem glasss for your wine.
Really? The FAs should not do this according to the AA service standards ; Amenities and Service items should not move from a Premium Cabins to a lower service level (F to J or J to Y)
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Originally Posted by ksweeney
Running out of a fine wine is entirely excusable when everyone realizes what's on the cart. AA is generally pretty good on adequately stocking the plane based on flight duration.
Agree on both observations! Besides, when the good stuff runs dry AA's other red selections in international J are usually quite good fallbacks.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:44 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Running out of a fine wine is entirely excusable when everyone realizes what's on the cart.
I have had several domestic flights where they run out of wine and then I have to ask them to get the small bottles of swill from coach. Not good!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I have had several domestic flights where they run out of wine and then I have to ask them to get the small bottles of swill from coach. Not good!
The only good excuse for that I've seen for the small bottles from coach is when no one thought of how to open the big bottles up front. I was on the first TWA flight out of STL to LAX after 911. Shortly after I asked for a glass of red wine, the flight attendant came back to explain that she was going to need to get little bottles from coach because the bottles up front were corked and there was not cork screw on the plane. In fact, the meal was as steak like meat but no knives were on board either with the last minute adaptation to the new post 911 security world. The FA announced over the microphone that no one would say anything if FC passengers ate their meat by picking it up and chewing it. The little bottles from coach were just fine in that situation
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:32 pm

The only good excuse for that I've seen for the small bottles from coach is when no one thought of how to open the big bottles up front. I was on the first TWA flight out of STL to LAX after 911. Shortly after I asked for a glass of red wine, the flight attendant came back to explain that she was going to need to get little bottles from coach because the bottles up front were corked and there was not cork screw on the plane. In fact, the meal was as steak like meat but no knives were on board either with the last minute adaptation to the new post 911 security world. The FA announced over the microphone that no one would say anything if FC passengers ate their meat by picking it up and chewing it. The little bottles from coach were just fine in that situation
When stuck in a big flying aluminum tube, ingenuity is directly related to how desperate everyone is for a drink.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Très magnifique!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No More Tumblers for Wine?

On October 7 I flew AA 186 from PEK to ORD in Business. Midway into the flight I ordered a glass of Cabernet and specifically asked for it in a tumbler. The FA gave me a crossed-eyed look (almost as if she had never heard of such a request), so I repeated myself, pointing to my water glass and indicated how far to fill the glass.

After 5 minutes she returns with a tumbler - holding the same amount that the teeny glass would hold - and then proceeds to tell me that on AA this is a "big no-no" and mentioned something about a new policy effective October 1.

Has anyone else come across this "new policy"? It really surprised me.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by HNL
On October 7 I flew AA 186 from PEK to ORD in Business. Midway into the flight I ordered a glass of Cabernet and specifically asked for it in a tumbler. The FA gave me a crossed-eyed look (almost as if she had never heard of such a request), so I repeated myself, pointing to my water glass and indicated how far to fill the glass.

After 5 minutes she returns with a tumbler - holding the same amount that the teeny glass would hold - and then proceeds to tell me that on AA this is a "big no-no" and mentioned something about a new policy effective October 1.

Has anyone else come across this "new policy"? It really surprised me.
I just flew AA 14 OGG-LAX red eye, and asked for a tumbler of wine and got it twice with no problem. ^
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Because they know why you fly...

Seriously I ask if I want. Even if I have to go to the galley or :gasp!: ring the call button.

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
This may have been covered but why are the AA wine glasses the size of a shot glass? Is there a reason they don't do wine in a regular glass? Makes me feel like a boozehound asking for a refill. Aren't there stemless wineglasses out there?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I ask for a "stemless" wine glass, I simply tell the FA that I'm a klutz and I fear breaking the full-size stemware; works every time.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
When I ask for a "stemless" wine glass, I simply tell the FA that I'm a klutz and I fear breaking the full-size stemware; works every time.
I did tell her that and still got the cross-eyed look.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Id be afraid they would brandish a sippy cup.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.