Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are the Wine Glasses So Small?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by idainc
Never gotten that good old puritanical hesitancy based on the FA's personal consumption habits ?
Being pleasant to deal with goes a long way.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:13 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
They are trying to keep you from getting a fui.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by abk
I say phooey to your fui.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by elechrisity

That said....do you really ring the call bell for more liquor? I normally do a lot of neck craning and attempts to grab the FA's eye contact when I need a refill of glenlivet to ensure I get the remainder. I always just assumed ringing the bell for alcohol was a no-no.
My rule is if the FAs are in the cabin looking around I get their attention. If they have gone into hibernation mode I'll either swing around to ask when making a lav run or hit the button.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I ring the bell on late night flights when it seems to be an unwritten rule that passengers only want one drink. When I see the FA sitting up front reading a book for 1/2 hour or more after serving one drink on a 3 hour flight, I don't feel bad about asking for service.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Last time I flew in *first* first (3-class), you now get real full-sized wineglasses. Right?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ChrisRb
Last time I flew in *first* first (3-class), you now get real full-sized wineglasses. Right?
Three class first always gets real stemware. Two class flights which get "upgraded" catering also get it in business. AFAIK
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
My question on the dinky little wineglass that is already on the tray is this: once they know you aren't drinking wine, why do they leave that empty glass on the tray when they hand it to you. They know you won't be using it for anything and it will only get in the way. Why not remove it? I usually ask them to take it, and about 50% of the time I get a rolleyes look.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
My question on the dinky little wineglass that is already on the tray is this: once they know you aren't drinking wine, why do they leave that empty glass on the tray when they hand it to you. They know you won't be using it for anything and it will only get in the way. Why not remove it? I usually ask them to take it, and about 50% of the time I get a rolleyes look.
Many people take water in those glasses. I know that I often do as it's a good idea to stay hydrated, especially in a plane with dry air, and especially when drinking. Even if one doesn't want water now, they may. Asking should not be met with rolleyes, but not automatically removing it makes sense.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I like white wine and that fizzy stuff AA calls champagne (tastes like 7UP with a little kick to it.) Since both are usually not particularly cold I always ask for both in a tumbler with ice.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by abk
On an afternoon flight once, the FA came by offering wine refills to folks. She asked me if I wanted more, and before I could even tell her yes or no (the answer would've been yes, of course), she leaned in and topped off my glass saying, "Let's just fill that up. It's not like you're the one flying the plane, right?"
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Many people take water in those glasses. I know that I often do as it's a good idea to stay hydrated, especially in a plane with dry air, and especially when drinking. Even if one doesn't want water now, they may. Asking should not be met with rolleyes, but not automatically removing it makes sense.

Cheers.
That would make sense, I guess, except that when they ask if I want wine I ask for water instead. They pour the water in a non-stem glass and put it on my tray. They leave the wine glass on the tray. If I want more water later, I'm OK with it going into the same non-stem glass. Why would I want an empty wine glass on my tray?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Was on a flight a few months ago where someone brandished their own Reidel stemless glass on the plane and used that. Made me blink a bit to see borderline box wine going into a nice-ish glass.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
In my limited AA F experiences the FA has always seemed to have a personal vendetta against my liver. Even leaving a mostly untouched drink sit results in a top up.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
Indeed. I find that the observant FAs quickly size up the needs of those of us with an interest in the grape and provide suitable stemless ware. As a brother of mine once said, never mind the quality, look at the size
I guess this explains why, on my first two AA flights ever this week, I was given the rocks glass without even having to ask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.