Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA goes after UA elites and status matching up to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
+1

...But I don't get the jealousy over moves that bolster its business so that it can continue to offer a range of perks to all of us.
It's one thing if it's an onboarding benefit we've all received at some point. In my case it's simple recognition that I'm paying at least a few hundred dollars for a benefit that some members get for free for paying/doing less. It didn't motivate me to retain my monthly gogo pass and doesn't improve my goodwill to AAgogo.

Last edited by fishferbrains; Jun 25, 2012 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Yeah, between my dozens of free domestic upgrades, 7/7 long-haul SWUs cleared this year, expanded award availability, EXP phone agents working miracles on multiple occasions, and hours spent drinking expensive liquor in Oneworld F lounges, I'm not feeling any love at all.

But from my time on FT I've learned that some people see anyone else getting a minor benefit as a serious affront, even though I don't understand this mindset.
Yes but there is a line where the top product starts to get handed out too easily and then you end up with missed upgrades, unable to use SWUs, longer phone wait times during irregular operations (like today), and packed to the gills ACs.

Now I do not that AA is there yet but its somewhat concerning.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes but there is a line where the top product starts to get handed out too easily and then you end up with missed upgrades, unable to use SWUs, longer phone wait times during irregular operations (like today), and packed to the gills ACs.

That's fair enough. I haven't noticed those effects yet, and don't have the data to know whether AA is near that point. But given that my upgrade success etc. haven't been affected by previous giveaways (double/triple/quadruple EQM, matches, etc), I get the impression that there's still slack in the system -- at least as it pertains to my specific travel patterns. YMMV, as they say.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
It's one thing if it's an onboarding benefit we've all received at some point. In my case it's simple recognition that I'm paying at least a few hundred dollars for a benefit that some members get for free for paying/doing less. It didn't motivate me to retain my monthly gogo pass and doesn't improve my goodwill to AAgogo.
I still disagree, but you definitely make a good point.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

As one of the beneficiaries of AA's current largesse, I'm well aware that they're bending over backwards to win my business and a year from now I may be complaining about their giveaways myself. However you must recognize that this golden opportunity to steal away a lot of disgruntled high value customers from UA doesn't come along very often, and I must commend AA on their excellent campaign to win us over before we begin to get accustomed to the new UA. Sure we're getting an easy ride now and contributing to some overcrowding, but those of us who don't start earning our status the old fashioned way next year will be gone pretty quickly.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
Man this really ticks me off!!! I just made EXP again, 10th year in a row and will easily exceed 200+ by end of year.

Man - this is burning me up!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
I’m alright with universal healthcare for every legal American citizen because it fosters the ability to meet our basic needs. I myself have privatized insurance so it’s not a benefit that I’d personally use. Yes the doctor’s office and hospitals will be more crowded, the wait to see a physician will be longer, the overall quality of healthcare will decrease while the cost will increase. But, it’s a trade-off I’m willing to make so that others can share the benefits to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

But when AA starts giving away GoGo passes to those UA folks, people are liable to get capped! This aggression WILL NOT stand!

Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gizmodell
16 SWUs for 55K of flying

Where do the extra 8 SWU's come from?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Originally Posted by neo_781
Where do the extra 8 SWU's come from?
I was catching up on my UA forum reading and the UA 1Ks are claiming that they get 8 for the first 30 K and then another for reaching 55K by December 31. I'm assuming that the ones gifted SWUs initially would get their additional 8 if they reach 55 K. What really concerns me is that if they have 16 SWUs that expire in 2014, will I be able to get comp upgrades now?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
where are our offers from UA? I'm outta here!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: Too many
This 1K got the e-mail offer today and I think it is a great move on AA's part because they are targeting their new customers by providing them something that UA doesn't offer on 99% of their flights. It is a way that AA can continue to attract UA's customers.

I can tell you that I have earned nearly 60k EQM on AA since matching from UA and that is $$$ that AA wouldn't have got if it was not for their generous offers. AA earned a new customer that will provide them many years of future business.

Trust me when I say that UA has really treated their 1K's like crap since CO took them over. AA has a great program and is doing what any smart business would, attracting new customers. What is wrong with that? I own a small business and I do this all the time. I also get offers from cell phone companies all the time that offer service for much less but only for NEW customers. Cable and internet providers do the same as well, in fact many businesses do this.

I think the most important thing to remember is that overall it is best that AA turns profitable and is able to keep offering such good benefits to their elite customers. I would bet big $$$ that if they merge with US you will see exactly what happened at UA, top level benefits are worthless.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mogulskiir
This 1K got the e-mail offer today and I think it is a great move on AA's part because they are targeting their new customers by providing them something that UA doesn't offer on 99% of their flights. It is a way that AA can continue to attract UA's customers.
The wifi is there whether they give it to you for free or not. It is laughable that many who call themselves "high value" customers are too cheap to shell out $35/month for onboard wifi...

I can tell you that I have earned nearly 60k EQM on AA since matching from UA and that is $$$ that AA wouldn't have got if it was not for their generous offers. AA earned a new customer that will provide them many years of future business.
That remains to be seen. For all I know, you may go back to UA in 12 months when/if they beg for your business back with their tail between their legs. Many of us on the other hand have already proven our allegiance for a long time (in my case over 10 years).

Trust me when I say that UA has really treated their 1K's like crap since CO took them over. AA has a great program and is doing what any smart business would, attracting new customers. What is wrong with that? I own a small business and I do this all the time. I also get offers from cell phone companies all the time that offer service for much less but only for NEW customers. Cable and internet providers do the same as well, in fact many businesses do this.
Your argument actually flies in its own face...if AA has such a superior program, why does it have to give you everything for free when you would make the move anyway. Note how DL is not making the same move.

I am a Plat on UA and I know exactly how bad things have been. The analogy with the cell phone service provider is also not quite apples to apples...unlike AT&T, AA has limited seats and corresponding benefits that are split amongst its elites. If capacity stays the same and lots more elites flood in, it will lead to dilution...if AT&T brings you onboard, that move has ZERO effect on an existing AT&T user...

I think the most important thing to remember is that overall it is best that AA turns profitable and is able to keep offering such good benefits to their elite customers. I would bet big $$$ that if they merge with US you will see exactly what happened at UA, top level benefits are worthless.
Not necessarily, but again...1ks love to throw around that they are AA's saviors from bk...the reality is that the extra revenue generated by you guys is insignificantly small relative to the billions of dollars needed annually in labor savings just to get to parity with AA's peers. You're engaging in a form of rationalization so you can feel good about taking advantage of an excessive benefit that's being offered to you.

Just to be clear...I want you guys to join the daarkside. I just want you to do it the same way the rest of us did without excessive shortcuts and the resulting (at some point) dilution.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Yeah, between my dozens of free domestic upgrades, 7/7 long-haul SWUs cleared this year, expanded award availability, EXP phone agents working miracles on multiple occasions, and hours spent drinking expensive liquor in Oneworld F lounges, I'm not feeling any love at all.
I can agree with the free domestic upgrades, the EXP desk line, and OW F lounge perks...but my last 6 SWUs all cleared between 3 days out and same day on intl longhaul (booked 5+ months out) and if there's expanded award availability on AA, I am not seeing it. I have found it outright difficult to get award availability in any class of service on AA metal during periods where school is out no matter how far in advance.

Adding more EXPs to the rollcall isn't going to help...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Just to be clear...I want you guys to join the daarkside. I just want you to do it the same way the rest of us did without excessive shortcuts and the resulting (at some point) dilution.
In all serious, this is the attitude that I don't get. It's a labor union mentality. (I.E. "I've been here longer and paid my dues so you don't deserve what I get despite the fact that you may be better at the job") Yes, you have been with AA longer than the UA 1Ks. But, as with any business, it is "what have you done for me lately". For all you know, the 1Ks may be outspending you by double. In the airline Game of Thrones, money = loyalty. If they spend enough $ with UA to qualify for 1K, then they will spend a lot of $ with AA to get all the perks being thrown at them as well. It's no different than satellite/cable companies, banks, credit cards or anyone else that throws incentives to attract new customers while those of us that have been loyal to them get nothing.

Why would it be any different for an airline...especially one that is trying to emerge from bankruptcy and ward off a take over?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spankytoes
In all serious, this is the attitude that I don't get. It's a labor union mentality. (I.E. "I've been here longer and paid my dues so you don't deserve what I get despite the fact that you may be better at the job") Yes, you have been with AA longer than the UA 1Ks. But, as with any business, it is "what have you done for me lately". For all you know, the 1Ks may be outspending you by double. In the airline Game of Thrones, money = loyalty. If they spend enough $ with UA to qualify for 1K, then they will spend a lot of $ with AA to get all the perks being thrown at them as well. It's no different than satellite/cable companies, banks, credit cards or anyone else that throws incentives to attract new customers while those of us that have been loyal to them get nothing.

Why would it be any different for an airline...especially one that is trying to emerge from bankruptcy and ward off a take over?
The difference with a bank is that I can cancel my CC in 10 minutes. I don't want to go to an inferior airline, and, even if I did, it would take me 3 years to lose my status. (Not that I want to, unless AA does something stupid like going back to EQP)
And, when I cancel, I can get the reward again. (i.e. Aerogold, even though I have no intention of doing too much business with CIBC, and the Shell MC)
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
The wifi is there whether they give it to you for free or not. It is laughable that many who call themselves "high value" customers are too cheap to shell out $35/month for onboard wifi...

That remains to be seen. For all I know, you may go back to UA in 12 months when/if they beg for your business back with their tail between their legs. Many of us on the other hand have already proven our allegiance for a long time (in my case over 10 years).

Your argument actually flies in its own face...if AA has such a superior program, why does it have to give you everything for free when you would make the move anyway. Note how DL is not making the same move.

I am a Plat on UA and I know exactly how bad things have been. The analogy with the cell phone service provider is also not quite apples to apples...unlike AT&T, AA has limited seats and corresponding benefits that are split amongst its elites. If capacity stays the same and lots more elites flood in, it will lead to dilution...if AT&T brings you onboard, that move has ZERO effect on an existing AT&T user...

Not necessarily, but again...1ks love to throw around that they are AA's saviors from bk...the reality is that the extra revenue generated by you guys is insignificantly small relative to the billions of dollars needed annually in labor savings just to get to parity with AA's peers. You're engaging in a form of rationalization so you can feel good about taking advantage of an excessive benefit that's being offered to you.

Try again.
Last year before Rogers got 4G in YVR, posting during Stanley Cup games on my 3G was very slow, even more so than Gogo.
Also, if my flight is reimbursed, but my wifi is not, what do you think I do?
(I know one of my colleague's gogo credentials to get on. He thinks it's worth it because he flies lots of DL domestic.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.