FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA goes after UA elites and status matching up to EXP
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:46 pm
mogulskiir

Programs: Too many
This 1K got the e-mail offer today and I think it is a great move on AA's part because they are targeting their new customers by providing them something that UA doesn't offer on 99% of their flights. It is a way that AA can continue to attract UA's customers.

I can tell you that I have earned nearly 60k EQM on AA since matching from UA and that is $$$ that AA wouldn't have got if it was not for their generous offers. AA earned a new customer that will provide them many years of future business.

Trust me when I say that UA has really treated their 1K's like crap since CO took them over. AA has a great program and is doing what any smart business would, attracting new customers. What is wrong with that? I own a small business and I do this all the time. I also get offers from cell phone companies all the time that offer service for much less but only for NEW customers. Cable and internet providers do the same as well, in fact many businesses do this.

I think the most important thing to remember is that overall it is best that AA turns profitable and is able to keep offering such good benefits to their elite customers. I would bet big $$$ that if they merge with US you will see exactly what happened at UA, top level benefits are worthless.