Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA goes after UA elites and status matching up to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
The biggest issue is we all feel lied and betryaed to it is almost like ua was daring us to leave. This was done through changes to the mm program, check in and boarding procedures, meal preferances, general dilution to united clubs and security access, and finally upgrades. While the new chances of upgrade on ua is less than before, depending on route it was still good, well over 50 percent for me. So that ratio. Is a whole lot better than 0 on
AA without swus or miles to upgrade.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
The biggest issue is we all feel lied and betryaed to it is almost like ua was daring us to leave. This was done through changes to the mm program, check in and boarding procedures, meal preferances, general dilution to united clubs and security access, and finally upgrades. While the new chances of upgrade on ua is less than before, depending on route it was still good, well over 50 percent for me. So that ratio. Is a whole lot better than 0 on
AA without swus or miles to upgrade.
You are completely mixed up...as EXp, you will do far better than 50% on domestic upgrades. On intl...that is a different story without SWus.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:44 pm

I think this is a major part of it. A great deal of the ua flyers think internationally which is where my equation works. If international is say 50 percent in UA and without an swu it is 0 on aa, what gives the better chance of not sitting in y. Now add the swus and the equation dramatically flips which is why aa is giving the swus. And unternational is the segment they are targeting
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
As long as the new EXPs use the SWUs for themselves, not gift or "gift" them.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:38 am

I think this is a major part of it. A great deal of the ua flyers think internationally which is where my equation works. If international is say 50 percent in UA and without an swu it is 0 on aa, what gives the better chance of not sitting in y. Now add the swus and the equation dramatically flips which is why aa is giving the swus. And unternational is the segment they are targeting
I still think the argument is iffy. Even if you had gotten no SWUs, the GPUs of which you would have only 6 to begin with, require a purchase of a higher CoS to even be useable. From there, UA then sells TODs and mileage upgrades, and your clearance on these GPUs would suck. That is one of the reasons you guys are all bolting.

And on the other 50% of your flying (the domestic portion) you will have a nearly 100% upgrade rate, which is a world of difference relative to wha most of you are seeing on UA right now.

And never mind that the transition period wouldn't even be that long before you would earn SWUs. The fact that nobody wants to put skin in the game is telling.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Off to create a fake UA GS screenshot...
let us know how that works out for you
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:19 am

[QUOTE=AAExPlat:18484601]
I And never mind that the transition period wouldn't even be that long before you would earn SWUs. The fact that nobody wants to put skin in the game is telling.

I think we do have skin in the game because at least in my travel (ord based) uniteds route structure is superior in most respects to AA so we are trading flexibility in routing and connections for AAs superior customer service, in flight service, and top FF program. Im going to be spending alot more time connecting in DFW and OW partners than before, but thats my choice and willing to do it. But its not a slam dunk and the match enticedn alot of people over that were on the fence.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by SanAngeles
As long as the new EXPs use the SWUs for themselves, not gift or "gift" them.
To me, that still means alot less availability. Either way.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I seriously hope AA is doing some diligence in verifying these levels beyond a screenshot. I'm not Photoshop wizard, but in less than 5 minutes, I could take any UAL flier's screenshot and make it say 1K or GS or whatever and change the numbers, etc to make it seem legit.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
haha. as a continental platinum flyer, i can't get any love anywhere. the PMUA flyers peg us as smisek apologists no matter what and now it seems the AA flyers aren't happy about me trying to match over... if anyone needs me i'll be hiding in the corner under my security blanket until all this blows over.

sigh. i just wanted to fly in a comfortable environment and get from point A to B with a smile on my face. not sure how all this got so complicated and anger filled.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:01 am

[QUOTE=unhappyflyer;18484738]
Originally Posted by AAExPlat:18484601

I think we do have skin in the game because at least in my travel (ord based) uniteds route structure is superior in most respects to AA so we are trading flexibility in routing and connections for AAs superior customer service, in flight service, and top FF program. Im going to be spending alot more time connecting in DFW and OW partners than before, but thats my choice and willing to do it. But its not a slam dunk and the match enticedn alot of people over that were on the fence.
No offense, but if you call that "skin in the game", then I don't know what to say. Skin in the game is making a real sacrifice. By definition, none of you are making a real sacrifice because the less convenient routing will be offset by a whole host of advantages that are coming your way.

To give you an idea of what skin in the game means...I (along with many other current EXPs) took a Plat challenge in 2009 because I saw the writing on the wall. I had been flying 200k on CO the year before and had already bagged 100k on CO in 2009 by the time I made the switch.

I then flew AA mostly in coach for 5 months to EARN EXP. No match, no SWUs, no nothing.

The issue that incenses many of us is that most of us EARNED our status and now AA hands out our status like Candy and dilutes the pool of available benefits.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by BrianV
I seriously hope AA is doing some diligence in verifying these levels beyond a screenshot. I'm not Photoshop wizard, but in less than 5 minutes, I could take any UAL flier's screenshot and make it say 1K or GS or whatever and change the numbers, etc to make it seem legit.
I doubt that they are doing much diligence. It's clear this "promotion" was not well thought out to begin with. The anger from the existing EXP flyer ranks is growing. I hope some important folks in DFW are gathered around a board room table right now in regrouping mode having the "how do we get all this under control" discussion.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
I hope some important folks in DFW are gathered around a board room table right now in regrouping mode having the "how do we get all this under control" discussion.
I've said it once and I'll say it again, but FT is not even close to representative. The vast majority of EXPs likely know nothing about this status match.

However, I suppose the only people emailing in about this are the ones who oppose it. I'd send one stating that I wholeheartedly support bringing in as many 1K/GS as possible, even if it means giving out SWUs, but I don't really feel it's any of my business.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
I doubt that they are doing much diligence. It's clear this "promotion" was not well thought out to begin with. The anger from the existing EXP flyer ranks is growing. I hope some important folks in DFW are gathered around a board room table right now in regrouping mode having the "how do we get all this under control" discussion.
Today is the last day for the promotion!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tonytifao
Today is the last day for the promotion!
Did someone at AA tell you this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.