Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
AAdvantage status: EXP

Fare Class: X Ticket

Flight: DFW DEN

What happened: short story 3 hour delay

Delayed boarding by about ten minutes. After we boarded, we sat until they emptied the plane to fix an electrical problem. Then the plane was taken out of service. After we were given a new gate and the luggage was transferred, we waited an additional half hour for catering. What should have been an afternoon of meetings turned into the pleasure of landing in Denver after 3PM with 40 mile an hour gusts.

I sent a grumpy email about MD80s, followed by lack of contact nor information (the EXP desk had nothing), and a lost afternoon. I added that if things happen even only once very hundred segment or so, for some of us that can be once a year.

Thirty seven minutes later an apology and 8,000 miles.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flightline87
Wow- 20,000 definitely ain't bad. I'm sure it was frustrating not to have AVOD but that's quite a compensation. Congrats!
Agreed, very high comp for that kind of issue. I'd happily forego AA AVOD in exchange for 20k miles
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Wife and I are flying CDG - DFW July 22 on the midday non-stop. Very high fares for this flight already, seating chart getting full and I expect it to be oversold.

Would be glad to get bumped. What should I expect and/or ask for?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mile ho
Wife and I are flying CDG - DFW July 22 on the midday non-stop. Very high fares for this flight already, seating chart getting full and I expect it to be oversold.

Would be glad to get bumped. What should I expect and/or ask for?

Any help would be much appreciated.
First, wrong thread. There is a separate thread for VDB - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...?highlight=vdb

Second, July is a long way off. I wouldn't start counting your chickens yet.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Paid $996.00 for R/T HKG-LAX via NRT with a LAX-SJC and SFO-LAX sector on the trip. Just home and adding up vouchers collected.

$200 for complaint to AA as used previous voucher given by Customer Relations to try and ticket this trip and not able to use on tickets originating outside of US. I live in HK. So original $200 voucher was doubled to $400 and reissued as paper cert. versus e-cert.

$500 for VDB off LAX-SJC to go onto SFO.

$200 for lost bag on return. Bags not loaded out of SFO to LAX for trip home to HKG via NRT.

So total for one trip $900 not bad.

Need to follow up on one flight as flight was delayed two hours because of a mechanical missed lunch meeting and down graded.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:30 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage

Fare: cheap Y with advance purchase

Route: DFW - SFO

What happened: Connecting FLL-DFW-SFO. Upon arrival at DFW, flight was delayed by more than 2 hrs at the last minute due to mechanical.

Compensation: $300 evoucher.

P.D. Companion who is GLD was booked under same PNR and received 8000 miles.

Last edited by aw; Apr 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:53 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by aw

Fare: cheap Y with advance purchase

Route: DFW - SFO

What happened: Connecting FLL-DFW-SFO. Upon arrival at DFW, flight was delayed by more than 2 hrs at the last minute due to mechanical.

Compensation: $300 evoucher.

P.D. Companion who is GLD was booked under same PNR and received 8000 miles.
That's a lot for a 2 hour Mx. Congrats!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum
5000 miles for 3 hour delay;(

I logged into my account this morning and found that I had 5000 bonus miles posted.

I had a 3 hour delay from CDG to ORD yesterday due to a mechanical issue. Apparently there was a problem with a windshield.

5000 miles seems like very little compensation for this type of delay. I was thinking more along the lines of a travel voucher!

Is it worth pursuing with AA EXP desk?

Thanks for your expertise!!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:07 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by FlyingTexasGal
I logged into my account this morning and found that I had 5000 bonus miles posted.

I had a 3 hour delay from CDG to ORD yesterday due to a mechanical issue. Apparently there was a problem with a windshield.

5000 miles seems like very little compensation for this type of delay. I was thinking more along the lines of a travel voucher!

Is it worth pursuing with AA EXP desk?

Thanks for your expertise!!
Did it cause a major inconvenience (nb missed meeting, connexion, etc)? If no, then I wouldn't bother. AA tracks complaints, so save it for when you are really inconvenienced.

On second thought, you may be able to ask for more comp under EC law. Click on the link in the OP to search the previous comp thread to see how it is done, and if you qualify.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by uxb
Did it cause a major inconvenience (nb missed meeting, connexion, etc)? If no, then I wouldn't bother. AA tracks complaints, so save it for when you are really inconvenienced.

On second thought, you may be able to ask for more comp under EC law. Click on the link in the OP to search the previous comp thread to see how it is done, and if you qualify.
For a CDG-ORD flight (over 3,500km) the delay has to be 4 hours in order for EC 261/2004 (Article 6, 1.c) to be in effect.

I think that your advice of letting this go, unless there was a major inconvenience, is a good one.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:46 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Sagy
For a CDG-ORD flight (over 3,500km) the delay has to be 4 hours in order for EC 261/2004 (Article 6, 1.c) to be in effect.

I think that your advice of letting this go, unless there was a major inconvenience, is a good one.
I had a feeling that was the case, but was too lazy to confirm. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Delayed DFW to FRA

Arrived at DFW around noon for 3:30 PM departure. Showed ontime. Around 2:30 showed delay to 4:30 and eventually announced mechanical minor problem and could see guys entering plane near nose gear. Around 4:30 front cargo door opened and two plastic wrapped pallets loaded and then two canvas type pallets loaded. Departure to 5:00 then 5:30 and 6:00. Later rear cargo door opened and two canvas type pallets loaded. Never any mention of cargo being loaded an hour and an hour and half after scheduled departure. Eventually started boarding around 6:00 but after boarding started announced another mechanical problem and could see workers inside near front of plane. Text received announcing 6:30 departure but may have gotten away from gate a few minutes earlier then 6:30. So 3 hours late to Frankfurt and some missed connections. Also on return from FRA to DFW had good 21B seat but the electrical in that part of plane not working so could not use computer past battery life. I was on a milesaver award and I am lifetime gold. I just sent email to CR and suggested some miles for both the delay and the lack of electrical. I did not suggest an amount. Any suggestions on what would be reasonable. Thanks as always for all the flyertalk help and tips.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:46 am
uxb

Originally Posted by rkh29
Arrived at DFW around noon for 3:30 PM departure. Showed ontime. Around 2:30 showed delay to 4:30 and eventually announced mechanical minor problem and could see guys entering plane near nose gear. Around 4:30 front cargo door opened and two plastic wrapped pallets loaded and then two canvas type pallets loaded. Departure to 5:00 then 5:30 and 6:00. Later rear cargo door opened and two canvas type pallets loaded. Never any mention of cargo being loaded an hour and an hour and half after scheduled departure. Eventually started boarding around 6:00 but after boarding started announced another mechanical problem and could see workers inside near front of plane. Text received announcing 6:30 departure but may have gotten away from gate a few minutes earlier then 6:30. So 3 hours late to Frankfurt and some missed connections. Also on return from FRA to DFW had good 21B seat but the electrical in that part of plane not working so could not use computer past battery life. I was on a milesaver award and I am lifetime gold. I just sent email to CR and suggested some miles for both the delay and the lack of electrical. I did not suggest an amount. Any suggestions on what would be reasonable. Thanks as always for all the flyertalk help and tips.
~8k - 10k. Let us know how they respond.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Response from AA CR in less then 3 hours

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent trip to Europe.

We are terribly sorry that we didn't get you to your destination as planned. Regrettably, the mechanical issue with the particular airplane scheduled for your flight caused an unavoidable delay. Still, we can appreciate how frustrating it must have been to spend your time waiting for your flight to depart.

We are also sorry to hear about the electrical situation on the return. We can certainly understand the disappointment.

We'd like to apologize in a concrete way and have credited 15,000 Customer Service Bonus miles to your AAdvantageŽ account to do so.

Mr. *****, while we know you were disappointed with us, we are glad you took the time to write to let us know. It gave us this opportunity to express our apologies for what happened and attempt to make things up to you. Please continue to fly with us.

Sincerely,

Ann E. Barnes
Customer Relations
American Airlines"
Thanks again Flyertalk, miles already in account
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:35 am
uxb

Originally Posted by rkh29
"Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent trip to Europe.

We are terribly sorry that we didn't get you to your destination as planned. Regrettably, the mechanical issue with the particular airplane scheduled for your flight caused an unavoidable delay. Still, we can appreciate how frustrating it must have been to spend your time waiting for your flight to depart.

We are also sorry to hear about the electrical situation on the return. We can certainly understand the disappointment.

We'd like to apologize in a concrete way and have credited 15,000 Customer Service Bonus miles to your AAdvantageŽ account to do so.

Mr. *****, while we know you were disappointed with us, we are glad you took the time to write to let us know. It gave us this opportunity to express our apologies for what happened and attempt to make things up to you. Please continue to fly with us.

Sincerely,

Ann E. Barnes
Customer Relations
American Airlines"
Thanks again Flyertalk, miles already in account
Nice! Congrats and enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.