Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I have said for a long time now that the merger is inevitable, but a "in bk hostile takeover" makes us AA elites very vulnerable since in theory the entire program could be dumped....
Don't burn your AAdvantage card just yet. It's not like US has a successful history with hostile takeovers.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by brp
More importantly,what happens to the AA forum

Cheers.
hahaha...that too...

I have said for a long time now that the merger is inevitable, but a "in bk hostile takeover" makes us AA elites very vulnerable since in theory the entire program could be dumped....
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Don't laugh!

While I think Dixie Cup Doug has gotten over his passion for plastic, I wouldn't put it past that hole to start jerking around with AAdvantage.
(If true) Hopefully, it would be an opportunity for him to build a world class carrier, and his thoughts along those lines would be to keep AAdvantage intact.

I have a general concern apart from US/AA issue, that with all the industry consolidations, it is a matter of time before the three or so remaining mega carriers decide to make dramatic changes to FF programs anyway (less competitiion, more chance that the others will follow suit)...more like what WN has just done, or more looking like Asian and European counterparts with fares that don't even qualify for miles..etc... I hope not, but that may be coming anyway....AA BK and fallout/aftermath may buy some time before this may happen though...

Last edited by Clipper110A; Apr 19, 2012 at 8:14 am Reason: conditional tense
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:10 am

Really sad
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper110A
hahaha...that too...

Hopefully, it will be an opportunity for him to build a world class carrier, and his thoughts along those lines would be to keep AAdvantage intact.
Right. Just like J/SMI orchestrated a "merger of equals" and has built an airline that has "exceptional customer service".
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
When did a rumor by "a less than credible poster on a.net" become a done deal? That poster apparently got his rumor from a pilot, and the rumor has it that "USAirways has signed agreements with all three AA unions". If that had been announced to the members of those three unions, it seems unlikely that this would be the only report of it.

Not saying that this could never happen, but it seems a bit early to be getting stirred up about it.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:24 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Howdy folks - For now, we're going to continue keeping all the USAir "takeover" discussion, speculations, and rumours contained within this thread. If something confirmed does get posted, we'll, of course, have a separate thread with sources, post-announcement conversation, etc. Until then, feel free to continue the discussion in this thread or in the general "takover/merger" targets thread.

Thanks for your understanding. /Moderator
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by gemac
Not saying that this could never happen, but it seems a bit early to be getting stirred up about it.
Don't be silly -- this is FT. Clearly an unconfirmed rumor from an unreliable source is sufficient to conclude that US will make a hostile takeover bid, the courts will approve it, the bid will ultimately be successful, and AAdvantage will be subsumed into Dividend Miles. What else could possibly happen?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Well it BETTER not mean drinks in F in plastic cups... LOL.
Not to mention SWUs, the current upgrade scheme, meal quality, etc.

IMO US Airways hasn't improved beyond the crap airline (US Air) it was way back in the 80's. A US+AA integration would be an operational nightmare, run by a group who has no experience or aptitude to handle anything nearly that scale. Indeed, they have proven unable to fully complete an even smaller merger. DL's integration of NW was done long ago, despite the US merger having closed years earlier. I'd even say the UA/CO integration is probably further along. A combined US+AA will now have three pilot lists to juggle? Craziness.

I have a general concern apart from US/AA issue, that with all the industry consolidations, it is a matter of time before the three or so remaining mega carriers decide to make dramatic changes to FF programs anyway (less competitiion, more chance that the others will follow suit)...more like what WN has just done, or more looking like Asian and European counterparts with fares that don't even qualify for miles..etc... I hope not, but that may be coming anyway....AA BK and fallout/aftermath may buy some time before this may happen though...
That is almost certain to happen, whether AA survives as an independent or not. DL will roll out such a plan soon. Enjoy the current system while you can.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Stripe
IMO US Airways hasn't improved beyond the crap airline (US Air) it was way back in the 80's.
That's not true. The US of the late 90s had very good domestic F service, three-class TATL service that used BA as the benchmark to beat. FAs were fantastic. Ground customer service remained awful.

9/11 and the resulting recession hit US and their short-haul heavy network particularly hard. Along with mismanagement US ended up an operational, customer service and soft product disaster. About all that was good left were some nice A330s and A321s and an industry-leading (among U.S. domestic carriers) Envoy Lounge. And again, many outstanding FAs (with perhaps more rotten, not bad, rotten apples than the other US legacies).

HP came in and gutted what was left of US really being a full-service airline. The airline became a hi-brid of a full service carrier and an LCC. Its generally a mediocre experience but many things were improved: on-time performance and plane cleanliness amongst them.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Initially nothing. Longer term it all depends on the choices the combined entity makes...OW or Star, AA service levels or US service levels, massive devaluations or not?
I can't see either the existing OW or Star Alliance members being at all supportive of a merged AA/US moving away from OW. From an OW perspective it would kill the whole alliance since they would have no North American presence and from a Star Alliance perspective it would add increased competitive pressure for UA which I'm sure they want like a hole in the head.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
I just did a google news search and there is no new news about this.

Remember, post BK AA can actually take over US if it wishes. AA does have a good cash position.

AGAIN- don't burn your EXP cards.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83F18U20120416 dated 4/16/2012

Horton shrugged off merger interest from US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N), saying AMR plans to exit Chapter 11 as a stand-alone company. He dismissed talk of meetings between US Airways and members of AMR's creditors committee, saying objections to a business plan are normal. "There's a lot of due diligence that is done on the plan," he said.
Of course, Horton is not the AMR board, a creditor, or the bk judge so he's only one player, as are the other parties.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by alhcfp
I just did a google news search and there is no new news about this.

Remember, post BK AA can actually take over US if it wishes. AA does have a good cash position.

AGAIN- don't burn your EXP cards.
Thank you - well said. A few pages back I asked how this could solely be a "US takeover" scenario, when in fact, AA is a bigger, more liquid company.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
If any of the AA unions actually believe that US can actually deliver on those promises they are much more gullible than I can thought. There is no way that the rest of the committee will go with this, and the BK judge will look at the numbers and probably pretty quickly figure out that there is absolutely no way that US can turn a profit with AA's wage scale (+ increases) and size of workforce.

The PBGC rep probably will not be too likely to go along with this because it is bound by the likelihood of the ongoing concern actually paying its obligations.

Any unsecured creditor who thinks that US can manage 3 companies unions, give wage hikes, and not lay off people while turning a profit is probably insane.

Any due diligence will show that this is a Hail Mary by US.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
No longer just a rumor...

AMR Unions Said Prepared to Back US Airways Takeover Offer
By Zachary R. Mider, Jeffrey McCracken and Mary Schlangenstein - Apr 19, 2012 11:09 AM PT

American Airlines’ three largest unions have agreed to support a possible takeover offer from US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) rather than remain independent, three people familiar with the matter said.

The groups plan to say that they believe they can reach better terms with US Airways than what they expect if American parent AMR Corp. (AAMRQ) exits bankruptcy by itself, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.