Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:21 pm

Impact of a possible AA and US Air Merger

The largest unions stated today that they would be in favor of an merger with US air. Doesn't mean it is a done deal, but suggests progress is being made.

Who can forecast how this would impact all of our miles.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I think US miles are even more worthless than DL. Also, US does not have a premium product on par with the other US legacies. So I hope no merger will happen.

US seems to focus at airports that have little competition at their hubs. Also, US once had a lot more service at LAX than it does today. And because PHX is very nearby which is where US is based, I worry that LAX might not make it.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
AMR Unions Said Prepared to Back US Airways Takeover Offer
By Zachary R. Mider, Jeffrey McCracken and Mary Schlangenstein - Apr 19, 2012 11:09 AM PT

American Airlines’ three largest unions have agreed to support a possible takeover offer from US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) rather than remain independent, three people familiar with the matter said.

The groups plan to say that they believe they can reach better terms with US Airways than what they expect if American parent AMR Corp. (AAMRQ) exits bankruptcy by itself, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
Likely Parker will seem like he is throwing the unions a bone. Of course, USAir would remain somewhat mum and quasi non commital about the fate of hubs and the cutting of routes, for the latter other than what might be done to past DOJ muster.

Now five years down the road it may be a different story.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
American Airlines’ three largest unions have agreed to support a possible takeover offer from US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) rather than remain independent, three people familiar with the matter said.
It will be interesting to hear Horton's response. He has been defiant up until now.

Also I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about this! I understand why the unions would want to "stick it to management" but I suppose we can't judge until we know what US is bringing to the table...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Parker and company will promise the unions at AA the sun, the moon and the stars to get a deal done. They should talk to their union brethren at US Airways to see how they're faring. Once the ink is dry on a merger then I'm afraid they'll be in the same boat as the Frontier unions once Republic took over.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Laura Glading (APFA President) must really have it out for AA. And it seems she has gotten the rest of the Unions onboard (at least so say said reports).

7 years after the USAir/America West merger, the FAs still do not have a contract and the Pilots are not any closer either (still fighting over seniority issues between the two groups).

What makes AA's unions think US Airways unions are just going to roll-over and happily accept thousands of FA, Pilots, etc. that will knock many US Air employees down the list, and some right off it.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
New article: Rumors flying of US Air, American Airlines merger

Lots of the same stuff talked about here over the last day or two.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gamecock
New article: Rumors flying of US Air, American Airlines merger

Lots of the same stuff talked about here over the last day or two.
Unless they cut a deal with Alaska Airlines !
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CVCONDE
Laura Glading (APFA President) must really have it out for AA. And it seems she has gotten the rest of the Unions onboard (at least so say said reports).

7 years after the USAir/America West merger, the FAs still do not have a contract and the Pilots are not any closer either (still fighting over seniority issues between the two groups).

What makes AA's unions think US Airways unions are just going to roll-over and happily accept thousands of FA, Pilots, etc. that will knock many US Air employees down the list, and some right off it.
The reality will be bad for AA employees. If US is successful, AA will be one of three airlines operating under the new AA brand. The passengers will gain 3 new hubs but Doug Parker will shift flying to the low cost HP and US operating carriers.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:53 pm

Congratulations to the AA employees that have steered their jobs right into the Doug Parker cross hairs. Certainly hope you get everything you hope for with him.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:35 pm

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
Oh Crap!! I just retired after 35+ years in my chosen profession and w/1.2m AA miles in the bank for Mrs. Bareflanks and I to have some fun with. I stopped flying USAirways after they bought PSA and took the smiles off the planes in the 80's.
Hope I don't have to 'relinquish my miles for monetary consideration"
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Unions back us air merger

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amr-un...233020436.html

DALLAS (AP) -- Unions at American Airlines plan to support a potential takeover offer by rival US Airways, according to two people familiar with the situation. The unions believe that combining with US Airways would give American the best chance to grow and preserve jobs, said the two, who spoke on condition that they not be identified because no decision has been announced.

An announcement by the unions is possible as early as Friday morning, they said.

<redacted>
___

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:49 am Reason: copyrighted entire article may not be published on FT
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Well, at least theyre learning. This is where they failed on their attempted hostile takeover of Delta.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Unless they cut a deal with Alaska Airlines !
I keep saying it. AKL has lots of cash, and if they were to break with DL, they could cripple DL on the West Coast and create an instant Western competitive advantage to challenge United--whose customers are ripe for picking after the fiasco.

Whether ALK has the desire and wherewithal to do a 3-way deal with US and AA, I think is doubtful, especially since it would create four layers of legacy employees with LOTS of conflict, but on paper, it could work.

Last edited by pdquick; Apr 20, 2012 at 2:38 am
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
[QUOTE=newyorkgeorge;18411086
USAir needs AA more than AA needs USAir and Parker appears to be dying to do a merger (he has tried to dance with just about everyone else.) If he can make a compelling argument to creditors he has a very good shot at doing something. [/QUOTE]

But three unions and the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation are on the 9-member unsecured creditors board. A deal that protects pensions, and that also gives the banks and lessors something to pique their interest might just be able to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.