Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by brp
For me, there are few things that I need to make whatever happens work. These are the things that make AA my choice. Not sure how things like this would fare in a merger:

1. Ability to buy cheapest tickets and upgrade both domestically and internationally for free (SWU and free domestic)
2. The fabulous service of the EXP desk

Other airlines do not allow #1 (and I don't know much about US Air). It's something that I could see going away, or being reduced. That would be a big deal for me.

Adding more options would not be bad. Losing these few things would.

Cheers.
No SWUs on US Airways as far as I know.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
American unions support possible US Air merger

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/20/news....htm?hpt=hp_t3
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:45 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
This is basically the worst news ever. Sub-par service, sub-par fleet, sub-par hubs and Doug Parker. I'd rather AA be taken over by IAG and convert to Avios than be stuck w/ Doug and Friends.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
They exist. Fewer and they have limitations on fare class (a la UA, not DL-style) but they do exist.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: EXP
If AA-Useless Airways merger ever happens, one thing I'll get is a few years of free flying as I use up my AA miles. Merging Useless with AA is much like mixing in some Thunderbird with your Dom Perignon. Not for me and I'm not sure what I'd switch to because none of the other FF programs really appeal to me. It's funny that the AA unions despise their management so much that they'd resort to favoring a union with Useless. Wait until they have to duke it out with the US unions. That will be like a cage match.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603
They exist. Fewer and they have limitations on fare class (a la UA, not DL-style) but they do exist.
Yeah. That's what I'm talking 'bout, Willis.

Cheers.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Don't they have them for Chairman's and companions?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
If AA-Useless Airways merger ever happens, one thing I'll get is a few years of free flying as I use up my AA miles. Merging Useless with AA is much like mixing in some Thunderbird with your Dom Perignon.
That's a bit extreme, better describing something like a CX takeover by Spirit. AA-US is at worst Clos du Bois with a shot of Two Buck Chuck.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:51 am

In reality, the only thing now standing in the way of a US/AA merger is the desire of AA executives to save their own jobs.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Thumbs down

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_1...n/?tag=nl.e879

April 20, 2012 9:38 AM

US Airways announces plans to take over American

US Airways has filed an 8K with the SEC to begin the process of a takeover of American Airlines, which is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

According to the SEC, "Form 8-K is the: 'current report' companies must file with the SEC to announce major events that shareholders should know about.

A letter to employees by US Airways CEO Doug Parker read in part:

Today, we filed a statement (a form called an 8-K) with the Securities and Exchange Commission disclosing that we have signed agreements with the three unions that represent nearly 55,000 American Airlines employees. These unions are the Allied Pilots Association (APA), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents all of American Airlines' mechanics and fleet service employees. Shortly after our disclosure, these three unions issued a public statement announcing their support of a US Airways-American Airlines merger and that they have agreed to terms that would govern collective bargaining agreements for their members at the merged airline. I want to explain to you why we have done this and what it means.

First of all, today's news does not mean we have agreed to merge with American Airlines. It only means we have reached agreements with these three unions on what their collective bargaining agreements would look like after a merger, and that they would like to work with us to make a merger a reality. To get to an actual merger, many more things must happen including gaining the support of AMR's creditors, its management team and its Board of Directors. But this is obviously an important first step along that path and we are hopeful we can all work together to make this happen.

American Airlines has said it wishes to emerge from bankruptcy as a standalone carrier.

Feh! USAir!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
If AA-Useless Airways merger ever happens, one thing I'll get is a few years of free flying as I use up my AA miles. Merging Useless with AA is much like mixing in some Thunderbird with your Dom Perignon. .
Wow that is an over-rated opinion of AA! I'd say more like mixing Thunderbird with Freixenet Cava
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by JetAway
In reality, the only thing now standing in the way of a US/AA merger is the desire of AA executives to save their own jobs.
I'd agree, but NEVER underestimate the power that has. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by JetAway
Don't the creditors have to weigh in? Unless they're stupid, they'd have to be highly skeptical about a deal whereby an airline in BK over labor costs is taken over by another airline that promises to increase labor costs.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:56 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Don't the creditors have to weigh in? Unless they're stupid, they'd have to be highly skeptical about a deal whereby an airline in BK over labor costs is taken over by another airline that promises to increase labor costs.
Yes, they are stupid if they accept the proposal.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Don't they have them for Chairman's and companions?
Yes, just looking into it now. Doesn't appear to be any fare restrictions for CP, though only 2 one-way certificates for yourself and 2 for a companion. I.e. going to Europe with a companion once a year will use them up. 1/2 of the 8 SWUs AA gives to EXPs, and with a lesser route network. I don't know why I didn't look into CP sooner in more detail, I might have it next year even if US doesn't buy AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.