Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by tom911
Isn't there some stipulation within the bankruptcy that AA can't entertain offers until after September?
I am not in the corporate world, but doesn't a hostile takeover mean that the target doesn't want to be taken over?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantge; AmEx Plat; SPG; Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I am not in the corporate world, but doesn't a hostile takeover mean that the target doesn't want to be taken over?
My assumption is that this statement from Hutchinson is what is being referenced above, but please keep in mind her representative body :P.

"I've seen the public reports about hostile takeovers involving American Airlines, including another airline that is communicating directly with American's creditors and unions.
"I'm concerned about the potential disruptive effects of such efforts during the ongoing bankruptcy proceedings, and ask that all airlines give American and the committee of creditors an opportunity to complete the bankruptcy reorganization process.
"Completing this essential step is in the best interests of American's employees, creditors, and the communities served by American Airlines. Any merger discussions can occur when the bankruptcy court has cleared the process by which American can emerge from court supervision.""

Taken from:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...-american.html
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Generally, a hostile takeover is when the buyer attempts to pitch an offer directly to shareholders as opposed to a willing board and/or management. In most such situations, the board rejects an offer, or makes public that it is not entertaining any offers, so the hostile buyer may be going in with less foreknowledge than in a more cooperative process, and may in fact end up in a proxy battle to try to oust the existing management or board.

In any case, a target company (AMR?) that has publicly pooh-poohed acquisition by a particular buyer (US Airways?) may easily find itself in a hostile situation where that acquirer attempts to circumvent the uncooperative target's leadership. I have zero idea what the effect of bankruptcy is on the process, however--though any such change by a firm currently in chapter 11 reorganisation would require approval of the bankruptcy court.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by elechrisity
I remember reading that Sen. Hutchinson came out specifically against the possibility of merging AA with another carrier. I don't think the political powers that be would let that occur, regardless of US Air's purported working with Union reps/creditors.
She has no regulatory authority, nor does the Senate as a whole; besides, she is a lame duck.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by TWA884
She has no regulatory authority, nor does the Senate as a whole; besides, she is a lame duck.
She's just stumping for Rick's job with her AMR comments.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantge; AmEx Plat; SPG; Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by TWA884
Agreed, completely. Just saying, her husband (bond attorney) was and is heavily involved in DFW airport, so I'm betting she has more than a constituent based-interest (read: personal) in keeping American independent.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Here's what I was looking for, from an article just three weeks ago:

Separately at Thursday's hearing, the airline received the court's go-ahead to extend until September its exclusivity rights for proposing a restructuring plan. The extension means creditors and potential acquirers cannot pursue their own proposals for how to restructure the airline until the exclusive period has passed.
http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1332379473.html

If this information is true, how can another carrier take over AA until after September?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
If this information is true, how can another carrier take over AA until after September?
The court order contains some language that permits the unsecured creditors committee to petition the court to shorten the (now extended) period of exclusivity. If the UCC petitions to shorten the exclusivity period, the burden is on AA management if it resists shortening the exclusivity period. On another site, a flight attendant argued strenuously (but incorrectly) that the language permits the UCC to negotiate and accept competing bids now.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Rumor: US hostile in bk bid for AA done deal

Posted this morning by a less than credible poster on a.net:

From a source with American Airlines:

RECEIVED THIS MORNING FROM A JFK PILOT
(he also gave me permission to post it) It may not have been announced Tuesday but I think this is going to happen. No information on how this would effect flight attendants.

USAirways has signed agreements with all three AA unions and the support of the PBGC in a bid to execute a "hostile in BK" merger with American. It is possible, even likely, that US has the support of enough of the other members of the committee to get a majority vote.

US's plan includes a loss of control by AA's management team. On the pilot side the agreement? Onhe pilot side the agreement includes a 5.5% pay raise upon date of signing, with 4 annual 3% raises over a 5 year term. In 2018 the pay rates will adjust to the average of DAL and UAL rates or our own rates , whichever is higher. The EMB-190 CA rate will top out at 136 per in 2017 and these airplanes will be flown at mainline. I have no further confirmed details other than AA management and Horton plan to fight this in court and that the union agreements in principle do include concessions such as elimination of the A-fund, preferential bidding, and more hours flown per month.

Link here: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5434044/

Huge news if true.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I heard it on KRLD in dallas this morning, i have no idea what this means for AA fliers/elite passangers.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by envgeo
I heard it on KRLD in dallas this morning, i have no idea what this means for AA fliers/elite passangers.
Initially nothing. Longer term it all depends on the choices the combined entity makes...OW or Star, AA service levels or US service levels, massive devaluations or not?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by envgeo
Well it BETTER not mean drinks in F in plastic cups... LOL

Seriously, interesting development if true, but even if true difficult to predict how it will play out.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:52 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Clipper110A

Seriously, interesting development if true, but even if true difficult to predict how it will play out.
More importantly,what happens to the AA forum

Cheers.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:54 am

I have said for a long time now that the merger is inevitable, but a "in bk hostile takeover" makes us AA elites very vulnerable since in theory the entire program could be dumped....
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs down

Don't laugh!

While I think Dixie Cup Doug has gotten over his passion for plastic, I wouldn't put it past that hole to start jerking around with AAdvantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.