Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2millionquest
He comes off a bit cocky and brash, but Wall Street looooves cocky and brash.
Wall Street likes Revenue Growth/Profit Growth/Cost and Risk Control
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually its stupidity. The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.
I'm sure AA is open to combinations - on their own terms post-bankruptcy.

But right now AA is fighting for it's life. You don't merge in bankruptcy, you get bought out. And then you become part of US's LCC model.

No thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by DillMan
I'll stage an Occupy DFW protest if US comes anywhere near AA.
How about we occupy the ACs systemwide?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:53 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Actually I rode US for the first time post merger recently, in F SEA-PHL. I must confess, it wasn't bad at all.

Those comments from Horton are, in a word, dumb. He's in no position to burn bridges, even if it is Doug he's talking about.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ty97
I'm sure AA is open to combinations - on their own terms post-bankruptcy.
They haven't said that. Tilton and Grinstein both made it clear they would look at combinations that made sense.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver
I hope it doesn't occur as a US Elite, the hub mismatch is one huge issue, the focus on domestic versus international another. It will be exceedingly difficult to get these new pilots and FAs onboard as the post-merger integration is still an issue (ask a US flier what East-West is). Picking up the European, Asian and LatAm routes would be nice, but not nice enough to justify purchasing AA. It would make a lot more sense for US to simply try and acquire the routes they want like was done by various carriers before when rivals when bankrupt. That and they might consider acquiring any jets and gates that they want. Having worked in M&A the chance of post-merger success is small.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I mean at least he could say, "We would like to merge with our key JV partner IAG as soon as we can convince the government on the benefits of allowing majority shareholding by foreign entities."

BA has had three key U.S. partners - first was their Marketing Marriage with UA, followed by their investment in US and then AA, which they seriously considered ditching at one point for CO.

If AA can't right its ship why wouldn't BA look for more stable alternatives? I think Horton and crew perhaps take for granted that BA/IAG will always be there unless A) they are a strong, profitable carrier or B) they are in fact part of IAG.
The situation is very different now with the JV/ATI which AA has with IAG. Would BA invest or do something again with US? Possibly, but I don't think BA at this point in time is too interested in US even remotely. If anything they are more interested in investing in B6.

Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Rude and unprofessional. Profitability in Tempe vs unprofitability in Dallas.
Right, as if neither HP nor US didn't go through BK to cut costs...

They haven't said that. Tilton and Grinstein both made it clear they would look at combinations that made sense.
AA has indeed said that.

"AMR Corp (AAMRQ).’s American Airlines plans to exit bankruptcy as a stand-alone carrier and would consider making acquisitions afterward, Chief Executive Officer Tom Horton said. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ut-merger.html
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
Originally Posted by futurectdoc
I hope it doesn't occur as a US Elite, the hub mismatch is one huge issue, the focus on domestic versus international another. It will be exceedingly difficult to get these new pilots and FAs onboard as the post-merger integration is still an issue (ask a US flier what East-West is). Picking up the European, Asian and LatAm routes would be nice, but not nice enough to justify purchasing AA. It would make a lot more sense for US to simply try and acquire the routes they want like was done by various carriers before when rivals when bankrupt. That and they might consider acquiring any jets and gates that they want. Having worked in M&A the chance of post-merger success is small.
Can't agree with you more that a merger senseless..

IF AA can pull it off and come out of it, there is really nothing to gain from an alliance with US and the issues that you outlined above may wind up sinking both of them!!

In my humble opinion, you don't have to be #1 - you have to be the best and put out a product that people are willing to buy!!

Can AA do that?? Anyone's guess...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jacobin777

AA has indeed said that.

"AMR Corp (AAMRQ).’s American Airlines plans to exit bankruptcy as a stand-alone carrier and would consider making acquisitions afterward, Chief Executive Officer Tom Horton said. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ut-merger.html
Unfortunately then he is not being very clear about it…

"Henry Harteveldt, an aviation analyst with the Atmosphere Group, called Horton's remarks "unnecessarily arrogant." But he did say that American is serious about not merging.

"Mr. Horton and his team absolutely want to see American remain independent. American doesn't want to be asked to dance," Harteveldt said."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:43 pm

Horton is dead on the mark. I applaud what he said. Everyone who is bagging on him are asking him to be like Arpey. You want a serious leader? There you go. He has said in no uncertain terms "This is what we are going to do, and this is how we are going to do it." For all you people that pine for Crandall, well, that's exactly what he would have said being handed a bankrupt airline.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Horton is dead on the mark. I applaud what he said. Everyone who is bagging on him are asking him to be like Arpey. You want a serious leader? There you go. He has said in no uncertain terms "This is what we are going to do, and this is how we are going to do it." For all you people that pine for Crandall, well, that's exactly what he would have said being handed a bankrupt airline.
How is his plan different than Aprey's? It's the same plan with reduced labor costs through Chapter 11. In fact he refers to Arpey in a recent AAmerican Way as "my great friend Gerard Arpey." Seems hardly like somebody who is distancing himself from the AArpey doctrine.

Crandall and Arpey/Horton IMO have little in common at least so far. I do think if Crandall had ever taken AA to Chap 11 he would have gone to a $1 salary - just as a show of solidarity - did Horton do that?

Anyway, nothing very innovative that has come out - no two-tier labor structure, no innovative twists of frequent flier programs, no innovative flying plans, no innovative ancillary revenue strategies, at least so far.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:03 pm

The attitude has change. Arpey is a mild mannered wall flower. Horton is a confident go getter.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:16 pm
Suspended

The attitude has change. Arpey is a mild mannered wall flower. Horton is a confident go getter.
Agreed on that. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have anything new to say and certainly he has done nothing that would engender support from the troops.

While he may be "fired up" according to the Dallas Morning News blog, I'm not sure the 1 in 7 employees who will be going or the 6 in 7 who will be staying are quite as pumped up.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:18 pm

Agreed on that. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have anything new to say and certainly he has done nothing that would engender support from the troops.

While he may be "fired up" according to the Dallas Morning News blog, I'm not sure the 1 in 7 employees who will be going or the 6 in 7 who will be staying are quite as pumped up.
It's early days, and he certainly needs a concrete plan. I am more confident now that will come. Time will tell.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:20 pm
Suspended

It's early days, and he certainly needs a concrete plan. I am more confident now that will come. Time will tell.
I hope so. Would like my Lifetime Plat to stay around for while. As a pax, I am content with AA as is, AAdvantage as is. Hope the plan works...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.