Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:24 pm

Me too. I just found AA last year after 10+ at UA and one idiotic year at DL. The service I have gotten has been so far above what I had seen elsewhere, I would be really despondent to lose it now.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
In a Chapter 11 filing essentially creditors seize control of the company. Any strategic moves need to be approved first by the creditors' committee and then the Court. If US (or anyother potential acquirer) makes a compeling deal to the creditors Horton won't be able to stop it.

That Arizona water might start smelling like swamp water to AA management.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
The US Y product is actually not that bad. I flew SFO-PHL and a few times and they did a beverage service 3 times and the seats are more comfortable than AA Y. The most I get on AA twice on a transcon. Yes, US used to suck in the past, but they suck less now.

The real fear is the change in the AAdvantage program. Sadly, I strongly feel that status and upgrades based on miles flown is going to go away very soon. It was great while it lasted.

The bright side is that US flies to TLV. Who knows whether US will keep the route our not, though, assuming they buy AA.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Xero
The US Y product is actually not that bad. I flew SFO-PHL and a few times and they did a beverage service 3 times and the seats are more comfortable than AA Y. The most I get on AA twice on a transcon. Yes, US used to suck in the past, but they suck less now.

The real fear is the change in the AAdvantage program. Sadly, I strongly feel that status and upgrades based on miles flown is going to go away very soon. It was great while it lasted.

The bright side is that US flies to TLV. Who knows whether US will keep the route our not, though, assuming they buy AA.
Flew quite a bit on US last year and the planes I flew on (most of them admittedly operated by Republic) were new Embraer 170/175's with 4 across seating, and they were really pretty nice. But the feeling was of a low cost carrier with not so low fares. The typical US flight has one gate agent working it, who has to do everything. It just seems like they are always running to catch up. One family with a stroller to check and you might not push back on time. But I have to say they didn't suck - unless you had a problem in PHL. With AA it feels to me like they have a little more to work with, talent wise and personnel-wise. Of course, this may change very soon.

Last edited by jpmcdonough; Feb 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Cocky and Bankrupt. Interesting combination.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Clipper110A
Horton told the Dallas Morning News. "I'm not sure what's in the water out there in Phoenix. Maybe it's the cactus. I don't know what it is."
I'm surprised no one has made a joke out of this yet.
Who knows what Doug would try to pull next but I'm pretty sure he's drinking too much of that 1 dollar water

Originally Posted by demkr

Profitability in Tempe vs unprofitability in Dallas.

How's Your European network AA?
You can't put a half truth and tell it as the whole truth.
Nice way to spin it
US used 2 Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2 years to get that profitability.
We're only through our 1st Chapter 11, come back later

And at the same time, I can say, where are the Asian flights US? Ha
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by Science Goy
US is the one company I've consistently boycotted, even when their fares were significantly lower than competitors'. Worst airline ever.
+1!!!!! I live in Philly and could have a much simpler flight life with way fewer connections if I used US. Every time I do use them, luggage is lost or an horrendous delay shows up.

In the days when they were called Allegheny, locally we referred to them as "Agony" Airlines for all the ick they added to life.

Plus, they kept flying into the mountains near Pittsburgh!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
US used 2 Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2 years to get that profitability.
This is a great point. It just underscores using 11 to cut employee wages, benefits and increasing productivity doesn't work if you don't have a sound strategy.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The current US Airways is a far cry from Allegheny Airlines. I remember the CVR-580's
and I think they flew something called a Nord-262. I don't remember a PIT crash but a few birds went down near Erie.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
US is the one company I've consistently boycotted, even when their fares were significantly lower than competitors'. Worst airline ever.
Hence my referring to it as USless
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Unfortunately then he is not being very clear about it…

"Henry Harteveldt, an aviation analyst with the Atmosphere Group, called Horton's remarks "unnecessarily arrogant." But he did say that American is serious about not merging.

"Mr. Horton and his team absolutely want to see American remain independent. American doesn't want to be asked to dance," Harteveldt said."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
Article could be correct, but I'll take Bloomberg over the Charlotte Observer..

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
How is his plan different than Aprey's? It's the same plan with reduced labor costs through Chapter 11. In fact he refers to Arpey in a recent AAmerican Way as "my great friend Gerard Arpey." Seems hardly like somebody who is distancing himself from the AArpey doctrine.

Crandall and Arpey/Horton IMO have little in common at least so far. I do think if Crandall had ever taken AA to Chap 11 he would have gone to a $1 salary - just as a show of solidarity - did Horton do that?

Anyway, nothing very innovative that has come out - no two-tier labor structure, no innovative twists of frequent flier programs, no innovative flying plans, no innovative ancillary revenue strategies, at least so far.
I don't see anything "innovative" here either, but I do like the aggressiveness of Horton(especially the 20% growth)-so far, maybe that is all which is needed.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by CPRich
Cocky and Bankrupt. Interesting combination.
It's fashionable amongst the ugly sister legacies to opine that LCC is the ugliest sister.

Last edited by hazelrah; Feb 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some may note posts have been deleted; posts are deleted when they go off topic oor become dilatory to the discussion, become uncivil or discuss issues belonging in other fora.

For the record, American has never operated flights to Israel; TWA did, and when TW ceased its operations so did Israel operations. As there is not a TWA forum, discussion of those operations, always sure to stimulate some flames and feelings, is not germant to this forum.

Thank you,

JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm Reason: formatting
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
IF US/AA actually did tango, presume AA name would be surviving as better recognition and US West types would no longer see USAirways name...Would be interesting to see American with a hub at Charlotte (RDU like flashback, but more flight operations) and flying its own metal to some of the cities in Europe that Delta and the new United fly to. ..But inheriting the labor mess that is US on top of its own mess would be hideous as Medusa....so I hope Horton is right that they will stand alone
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
This is good to hear. No reason to merge or be bought out by US. Much rather have AA on their strengths but with a reduced cost structute and same quality of service and FF program intact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.