Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exhausted FA's build 'fort'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by DallaStarwooDelta
since I have a connection at AA that tells me a crew recently got fired for doing exactly what the OP described.

My money says the crew fired was on his flight
I was under the impression it was not that easy to get fired at AA...don't they have some kind of progressive discipline unless it is like drugs or alcohol stuff ? Union probably would not sit still for that either...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Clipper110A
I was under the impression it was not that easy to get fired at AA...don't they have some kind of progressive discipline unless it is like drugs or alcohol stuff ? Union probably would not sit still for that either...
I'd love to see the union argument about how sleeping on the job is not a cause for discipline or termination.

As to your point, perhaps the terminated FAs have exhibited this sort of behavior before.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
The issue with the cart, as I see it, is that a cart is more likely to go flying when in the aisle vs. when it is secured, so it's always irresponsible to leave the cart unsecured when it doesn't have to be out for service purposes (or to temporarily provide a first line of defense when the pilot has to use the facilities).

It's not a question of whether the FA can control it during sudden turbulence rather whether it even needed to be out in the first place knowing that clear air turbulence is always a risk.
It is irresponsible YES, but it also is in direct contravention against FAA guidance regarding carts. It is quite likely that it is also in direct violation of AA policy and procedure in the Flight Attendant Manual as well. The guidance and procedures exist with a safety rationale.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
It is irresponsible YES, but it also is in direct contravention against FAA guidance regarding carts. It is quite likely that it is also in direct violation of AA policy and procedure in the Flight Attendant Manual as well. The guidance and procedures exist with a safety rationale.
Perhaps this is the justification for termination? Knowingly, willfully violating FAA directives should be cause for termination particularly when the airline is liable for any resulting injuries (or worse).

Also, should an emergency arise, they are blocking the captain/FO from accessing the cabin (though I don't even know if they're allowed back there now, for "security", even in the most extreme circumstances) and cabin crew access to the flight deck (if one of the flight crew has a heart attack it's now that much harder to get a doctor and the defibrillator up there).
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Perhaps this is the justification for termination? Knowingly, willfully violating FAA directives should be cause for termination particularly when the airline is liable for any resulting injuries (or worse).

Also, should an emergency arise, they are blocking the captain/FO from accessing the cabin (though I don't even know if they're allowed back there now, for "security", even in the most extreme circumstances) and cabin crew access to the flight deck (if one of the flight crew has a heart attack it's now that much harder to get a doctor and the defibrillator up there).
Would be surprised if anyone was terminated even if AA found out. How do you prove which crewmembers ? If I was on the crew and was working the back galley, how does AA know if I came up there for a nap on the floor, or if I was awake on duty in the back galley or at row 17 for break as I am supposed to be? If I was working J class, how does AA know if the naps on the floor and the cart fort was built while I was taking a professional, safe, legitimate break at row 17. Are they gonna fire me too, just because I bid J class and ended up with these people who sleep on the floor ? Highly unlikely a pax could take an identifying photo based on the configuration described. Pax "memory" of which crewmembers could be easily portrayed as unreliable or inaccurate.

Your point about free access also valid, though less likely flight deck to cabin as cabin to cabin. A need for crew/pax to crossover aisles in emergency situation (lithium battery fire from laptop or entertanment unit) would also be impeded albeit briefly. Ability of crew to get to emergency equipment or to cross aisles as needed in emergency also briefly impeded because they would be jacking around with demolition of the "fort". Again, what are the odds ? .... but the point of aviation safety and cabin safety is to be in the best possible stance and configuration to deal with these things. And these things do happen and have happened.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Would be surprised if anyone was terminated even if AA found out. How do you prove which crewmembers ? If I was on the crew and was working the back galley, how does AA know if I came up there for a nap on the floor, or if I was awake on duty in the back galley or at row 17 for break as I am supposed to be? If I was working J class, how does AA know if the naps on the floor and the cart fort was built while I was taking a professional, safe, legitimate break at row 17. Are they gonna fire me too, just because I bid J class and ended up with these people who sleep on the floor ? Highly unlikely a pax could take an identifying photo based on the configuration described. Pax "memory" of which crewmembers could be easily portrayed as unreliable or inaccurate.

Your point about free access also valid, though less likely flight deck to cabin as cabin to cabin. A need for crew/pax to crossover aisles in emergency situation (lithium battery fire from laptop or entertanment unit) would also be impeded albeit briefly. Ability of crew to get to emergency equipment or to cross aisles as needed in emergency also briefly impeded because they would be jacking around with demolition of the "fort". Again, what are the odds ? .... but the point of aviation safety and cabin safety is to be in the best possible stance and configuration to deal with these things. And these things do happen and have happened.
Herein lies the problem. Part of the reason CX and SQ have such good reputations is their service oriented attitude, however a large part is that they also have in-flight supervisors that are members of MANAGEMENT. And incidentally, both CX and SQ are heavily unionized and still provide legendary service.

AA will not discipline their staff. Short of an employees sliding down an exit with stolen booze the company's hands are tied.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Herein lies the problem. Part of the reason CX and SQ have such good reputations is their service oriented attitude, however a large part is that they also have in-flight supervisors that are members of MANAGEMENT. And incidentally, both CX and SQ are heavily unionized and still provide legendary service.

AA will not discipline their staff. Short of an employees sliding down an exit with stolen booze the company's hands are tied.
+ 1 about SQ and CX.

UA was briefly doing something similar pre 9-11. Onboard management on flights to deep SA from MIA when UA was trying those routes. Did not last long as a program.

Last edited by Clipper110A; Oct 5, 2011 at 5:23 am
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
+ 1 about SQ and CX. .
Taking CX F SFO-HKG next week. I'll report back if I see any of them sleeping
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL

Well, while I don't know if the story was true, or whether we're talking about the same crew, see the post above regarding a crew being fired for this very offense. Remember what most criminal convictions are won on: confessions. Could be that someone reported the activity, management questioned the crew, they buckled and confessed and were promptly terminated. If the pilot came out for the lav and a) had to wait for someone to wake up and come to the door and b) saw the sleepers he could have been the one to dime them out, particularly if he saw the safety concerns.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikelat
They definitely will not sleep.They will hover over you constantly providing a level of service that it, basically, intrusive, overbearing and annoying...while being very courteous and professional. I was less impressed with CX F service than many here as I don't need that level of obsequiousness.

I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't "all that," IMO.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by brp
I was less impressed with CX F service than many here...
brp, I can't stand to see you so unhappy. Being the good guy that I am, I'll trade you your next CX flight in F for my next AA flight in F. As a gesture of selfless kindness, of course
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
brp, I can't stand to see you so unhappy. Being the good guy that I am, I'll trade you your next CX flight in F for my next AA flight in F. As a gesture of selfless kindness, of course
With friends like you who needs coach

With all that I said above, the libation and entertainment choices on CX were considerably superior to those on AA. I can deal with a little annoyance from FAs for that.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
hahaha
Not in a MILLION years would CX pax see fas sleeping unless in some weird alternate universe (like an AA flight with CX coded flight number).....As you know what you will see is smiling, pleasant faces looking after you, rightfully proud of their company and with the conviction that safety/service are not separate and are both an art form.. ENJOY....

Last edited by Clipper110A; Oct 7, 2011 at 8:58 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:07 pm

I believe most CX long haul aircraft (747 and 77Ws for sure... not sure about A330E or A343...) have cabin crew rest areas, and the F/As will sleep in the crew bunk beds during mid-flight. Most Asian airlines have crew rest areas, so you never see them sleeping in the open.

This story actually reminds me of a news story that SQ F/As were photoed sleeping in passenger seats on a Boeing 777 flight to Australia. SQ later replies that due to the particular configuration of this version of 777, there is no separate crew rest area and SQ has blocked off a row of Y seats for F/As to rest during midflight. The passenger actually took a photo of two or three SQ girls sleeping with their eye masks on.

Carfield
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by brp
They definitely will not sleep.They will hover over you constantly providing a level of service that it, basically, intrusive, overbearing and annoying...while being very courteous and professional. I was less impressed with CX F service than many here as I don't need that level of obsequiousness.

I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't "all that," IMO.

Cheers.
Haven't flown CX but I tend to agree with you. The last thing I need serviced on a plane is my ego so the idea of people coming around to make sure I feel important is, as you say, a bit intrusive. I tend to find BA to be a good balance in that regard. They make sure you know they are there to take care of you but they understand you are an adult and will ask for something when you want/need it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.