Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exhausted FA's build 'fort'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Do keep in mind that it is a total of twelve to fourteen hours on the ground, during daytime, between two consecutive nights of working long haul flights.
Are you condoning this behavior? To me, its both amazing and comical 'safety professionals' can't understand why their profession commands such little respect from the traveling public.
Originally Posted by hillrider
Shocking.

Are you implying that the bad FAs are lying to us when they use the excuse that they're "there primarily for our safety" for not providing good service??
+1. They can't have it both ways. Sure they could say the OP admitted this unscheduled nap time did not impact service quality but it is jeopardizing safety. Afterall, the United AFA mentioned that they shouldn't provide passengers their first meal choice since the FAs will not be properly nourished to perform their safety duties:

With regard to the topic of Main Course Meals, the direction to use the “selection of all meals boarded including crew meals to ensure premium passengers are provided their first choice” is erroneous. Flight Attendants who place orders for special crew meals are under no obligation to relinquish those meals in order to satisfy the “first” or any meal choice of a premium passenger. Crew Meals are negotiated to ensure that working crew members are properly nourished in order to meet their safety and security responsibilities and the ability to order special meals is intended to facilitate that negotiated intent. The ability to order special meals in lieu of crew meals is a mutually understood practice that has been in effect since January of 1995. Flight Attendants flying in the purser position should not use crew meals or special meals ordered in lieu of crew meals or any components of these meals as passenger meal components. Using these special meals would deprive a working flying partner or her/his Contractual entitlement to a crew meal and would be a violation of the Contract and we have notified the company as such.
<snip>
September 20, 2011 Dear AFA

http://unitedafa.org/news/dearafa/default.aspx
Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:02 pm

So, a cabin depressurization or rapid loss of altitude and the FAs laying on the floor of the galley are flopping all around...... that is simply not what AA nor the flight attendant's union would tell you to expect. I don't need babying, but in my mind, this is simply not doing your job in any sense of the word, and should be reported.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Cool

Originally Posted by masonp123
Details are vague to protect the simultaneously guilty/innocent! On a recent overnight flight (departs late evening, arrives early next morning) on a 767-300, the clearly overworked FA's made themselves a nice fort up front (me being in J). The curtains were drawn across the right side of front galley with carts strategically placed and 'linked' so that pax could only access the rear-most lav and all of the galley (and front lav/cockpit door) was completely sealed. I peeked, and it looked to me like 4 FA's were sound asleep though I'm not 100% positive on all of them. One of them was snoring - on the floor! He had grabbed duvet's and pillows and was sprawled between the door and jumpseat.

Ironically - service was EXCELLENT! They did a great job during boarding, were super active during the meal service, everybody got the A+ treatment! Somebody must have set an alarm clock because breakfast service was the same - fantastic. My only issue is I slightly prefer the front lav for the bit of extra room as I'm tall and kinda fat.

So...no complaints here! I wouldn't mind the crosswords, people magazine reading, gossiping, etc if they at least make a major effort during the important periods - boarding, meals, descent. Gonna send a complimentary letter to AA, leaving out the 'fort' part.

Misogynists - this was mostly an all-male FA flight. Discuss.
COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL !

How anyone can justify this behavior is beyond me.

But pictures would have been EPIC !

HP
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:43 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by Blumie
Do you really think your safety is at all at risk when you're cruising at 36,000 feet without a babysitter monitoring the cabin for you? If so, I highly suggest that you hire attendants to cross the street with you and drive with you in your car, since both activities are much more dangerous.
If you would have read the post correctly, what I posted was that this is the line that FA's have been using for years, that they are there "primarily for your safety". Bottom line is that on most Asian carriers you don't see the pilots and FA's making a huge deal about their need to rest for a 7-8 hour flight. Sure they are there for safety, but their primary purpose is to provide a nice, professional level of service. I don't understand the level of fuss made for rest on a 8-9 hour Trans Atlantic flight. That is a normal working day for the rest of us.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GB
I don't understand the level of fuss made for rest on a 8-9 hour Trans Atlantic flight. That is a normal working day for the rest of us.

FAs are not like the rest of us! They have a job in which they are not able to step out for a 15-min coffee or a 1-hr lunch break! They are working continuously (and get paid continuously) from the moment the aircraft door closes until the moment it opens at the destination. They are "on duty" throughout the flight.

So, the unions negotiated for crewrest times and the details of those breaks during the flights. But they remain "on duty" at all times to ensure the safety of the passengers.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GB
If you would have read the post correctly, what I posted was that this is the line that FA's have been using for years, that they are there "primarily for your safety". Bottom line is that on most Asian carriers you don't see the pilots and FA's making a huge deal about their need to rest for a 7-8 hour flight.
While I am less familiar with Asian carriers, I do know that there is a major different in the flight personnel cycle. In many carriers over there, crewmembers work as FAs for a few years during their 20s-30s in order to see the world and leave their home country. Then, they leave the airlines and begin a different career. Being an FA is not considered their final career.

By contrast, in the USA many carriers have FAs who have 35, 40, even 45 years of service with the company. (Once I met a Purser with 51 years of service!) They are the true veterans of the industry, having given their entire working lives to service as FAs. Very different mentality from Asia--in the USA, being an FA is a profession/career, not just a job.

Sure they are there for safety, but their primary purpose is to provide a nice, professional level of service.
I doubt that any of the following entities would agree with that assertion:
- FAA
- airlines
- FA unions
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:06 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by ESpen36
FAs are not like the rest of us! They have a job in which they are not able to step out for a 15-min coffee or a 1-hr lunch break! They are working continuously (and get paid continuously) from the moment the aircraft door closes until the moment it opens at the destination. They are "on duty" throughout the flight.

So, the unions negotiated for crewrest times and the details of those breaks during the flights. But they remain "on duty" at all times to ensure the safety of the passengers.
I'm sorry but to say that FA's are working continuously is a big stretch. Outside of take off/landing and the meal services, in my observation most often they are relaxing, reading, chatting with the other FA's, etc. Sure, they may be "on duty" and compensated, but in terms of active engagement for their customers, this just isn't accurate.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
They are working continuously (and get paid continuously) from the moment the aircraft door closes until the moment it opens at the destination.
LMAO and ROTF. Thanks for the best laugh of the day, although I don't think you meant it to be.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

Apparently to ensure our safety, they are allowed to sleep on the floor and not use a seatbelt. Indeed they are not like the rest of us!

Last edited by sukn; Oct 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
[QUOTE=GB;17208269Bottom line is that on most Asian carriers you don't see the pilots and FA's making a huge deal about their need to rest for a 7-8 hour flight. Sure they are there for safety, but their primary purpose is to provide a nice, professional level of service. I don't understand the level of fuss made for rest on a 8-9 hour Trans Atlantic flight. That is a normal working day for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

In terms of Euro and US/Canada/Aussie carriers, pilot rest is mandated on long flights. Its not just a matter of union rules. Union rules, however, may determine exactly how many pilots are on board and whether, for example, the crew consists of a Captain and three FO's or two Captains and two FO's. Not sure how much the FA rest periods are mandated.

Curious how specific the service standards manual is regarding rest periods and why AA doesn't attempt to enforce it.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

The FAs work the entire time during the flights? Tell me which AA flights you frequent. On many of my flights the FAs talk loudly, read magazines and rarely leave the galley/jump seat area. A couple weeks back the FAs on 25 7:30am BOS-LAX did not BEVERAGE service until 70 minutes after wheels up. No joke. The lady behind me rang her bell to request something and was scolded that they "still getting things together". So either you're blind sighted or must have some compelling interest as an employee and union advocate for the APFA/AFA/IAM.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:27 pm

Honestly when I read threads like this I just thing to myself how glad I am that 125,000 airline jobs have been slashed in the past decade, how many flights have been outsourced to regionals, and the stagnant pay and deteriorating working conditions for the FAs. While it's never good to paint everyone in a workgroup with the same brush the fact is lately good service is the exception not the norm on AA.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The FAs work the entire time during the flights? Tell me which AA flights you frequent. On many of my flights the FAs talk loudly, read magazines and rarely leave the galley/jump seat area. A couple weeks back the FAs on 25 7:30am BOS-LAX did not BEVERAGE service until 70 minutes after wheels up. No joke. The lady behind me rang her bell to request something and was scolded that they "still getting things together". So either you're blind sighted or must have some compelling interest as an employee and union advocate for the APFA/AFA/IAM.

I think you might have misinterpreted my post. I was trying to communicate that FAs are "on the clock" for the entire duration of the flight. I was not commenting on their level of productivity, which I think is a highly subjective datum point. Yes, I frequently see FAs chatting over coffee or reading magazines or playing Sudoku on their iPads. But if their responsibility after meal service is to stay awake to monitor the cabin, perhaps that's how they can do so most effectively after many hours on duty (and several segments, in some cases of domestic FAs). FAs are people, after all, not robots. And they happen to be in a highly visible work environment. Would you like it if your customers/constituents knew how often you went to the lav, or how much coffee you drank, or which magazines you read during "downtime" at work?

I have no connection to any crew unions; I'm just trying to stand up for our good friends out there who are FAs! I think that the vast majority of them deserve nothing but our utmost respect for delivering professional service in a tumultuous industry that offers its employees constant challenges and a completely unpredictable work environment every day.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:31 pm
Suspended

It sounds like if they were using extra duvets there must have been open seats in J, so it's surprising they just didn't take over open J seats.

I've experienced what OP did once or twice on 763s although it was only the galley they had blocked off. It was a bit annoying as they didn't respond to call buttons.

The only other experiences where I have seen crew treat themselves as pax or pax + with general indifference to the real pax was some of the former Eastern European airlines.

On AA, I find the more senior the FAs, the more chance of lackluster service or indifference. YMMV
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:41 pm

I think you might have misinterpreted my post. I was trying to communicate that FAs are "on the clock" for the entire duration of the flight. I was not commenting on their level of productivity, which I think is a highly subjective datum point. Yes, I frequently see FAs chatting over coffee or reading magazines or playing Sudoku on their iPads. But if their responsibility after meal service is to stay awake to monitor the cabin, perhaps that's how they can do so most effectively after many hours on duty (and several segments, in some cases of domestic FAs). FAs are people, after all, not robots. And they happen to be in a highly visible work environment. Would you like it if your customers/constituents knew how often you went to the lav, or how much coffee you drank, or which magazines you read during "downtime" at work?

I have no connection to any crew unions; I'm just trying to stand up for our good friends out there who are FAs! I think that the vast majority of them deserve nothing but our utmost respect for delivering professional service in a tumultuous industry that offers its employees constant challenges and a completely unpredictable work environment every day.
No I wouldn't mind it. In fact my boss sits in the office next to me. All they care about is that I get my work done and perform the required duties of my position. I don't think my clients care either how often I use the bathroom, visit Starbucks or when I take my lunch break. So long as I act and dress professionally meet their needs and provide them the information they are looking for. Since 2008, the financial services industry has shrunk roughly 35%. So are you saying I can use that as justification for a bad work ethic? If anything given the limitations and changes in my industry I have to work longer and harder while compensation and other benefits have been slashed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.