Wiki Posts
Search

Exhausted FA's build 'fort'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
All they care about is that I get my work done and perform the required duties of my position. I don't think my clients care either how often I use the bathroom, visit Starbucks or when I take my lunch break. So long as I act and dress professionally meet their needs and provide them the information they are looking for.

That is precisely my point. As long as the FAs meet their job responsibilities, and deliver an effective, efficient, professional service (which the OP says they did), then why should we care how they behave in their downtime? Are we that interested? Let's cut them some slack. The FAs referenced by the OP even went out of their way to obscure their resting activity from the view of the passenger cabin. Not all FAs do so. In fact, many do not (see the threads about the 772 F cabin becoming a crew lounge after the first meal service).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
FAs sleeping on the floor is unprofessional at best and unsafe at worst; but even more unsafe are the various carts creating the "fort." This has got to be some kind of safety violation - in sudden turbulence, you'd have those carts turn into missiles.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
FAs sleeping on the floor is unprofessional at best and unsafe at worst; but even more unsafe are the various carts creating the "fort." This has got to be some kind of safety violation - in sudden turbulence, you'd have those carts turn into missiles.
One flight on a 777 I was in row 31 and somebody from a middle seat tried to build a bed by the exit - not in my space per se, but obviously not excited about it. Within minutes they were told no. I have also seen FA tell middle section pax on 763s they can't sleep on the floor. For example, a couple in the 3 seat section, one takes the three seats and the other makes a floor bed.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That is precisely my point. As long as the FAs meet their job responsibilities, and deliver an effective, efficient, professional service (which the OP says they did), then why should we care how they behave in their downtime? Are we that interested? Let's cut them some slack. The FAs referenced by the OP even went out of their way to obscure their resting activity from the view of the passenger cabin. Not all FAs do so. In fact, many do not (see the threads about the 772 F cabin becoming a crew lounge after the first meal service).
I don't know what world you are living in but at the end of the day the airline business is very much a part of the service sector. Basic customer service is a requirement and expectations from passengers. Would you be alright walking in to the Mandarin Oriental NYC and seeing the front desk staff sleeping on the soft seating in the lobby? How would you feel if you went to a department store and saw the sales clerks sleeping behind the desk? This is no different. The FAs have scheduled crewrest time and dedicated crew rest areas for them to use. There is no reason for this to be going on. Since you're so quick to defend this behavior, explain to me why we don't see it on other airlines including AA's partners like B6, BA, and CX. You won't see this on SQ or WN either. So why should the AA FAs be granted slack?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I don't know what world you are living in but at the end of the day the airline business is very much a part of the service sector. Basic customer service is a requirement and expectations from passengers. Would you be alright walking in to the Mandarin Oriental NYC and seeing the front desk staff sleeping on the soft seating in the lobby? How would you feel if you went to a department store and saw the sales clerks sleeping behind the desk? This is no different. The FAs have scheduled crewrest time and dedicated crew rest areas for them to use. There is no reason for this to be going on. Since you're so quick to defend this behavior, explain to me why we don't see it on other airlines including AA's partners like B6, BA, and CX. You won't see this on SQ or WN either. So why should the AA FAs be granted slack?

I would like to interject on this juncture and state I`m am living in the same world as you are. While you do provide alot of valid points to "REAL WORLD" in relation to customer service levels. AA is not a perfect airline/company. We realize we have a long way to og and will never be SQ, or our partners as in BA & CX. We may not provide the great customer service/performance you may require in relation to your perfect perfomance at your job in your previous post which I commend you on. All i can say if your not happy with the perfomance of my fellow company cohorts (FA`S) or AA since thats who i work for? Change airlines.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Because there is always the potential that a passenger will observe such unprofessional behavior and post about it on the internet, thus pointing out such poor behavior to even a greater customer base. Sometimes these stories can go completely mainstream thus damaging the brand significantly.

Two examples that immediately come to mind are the Helen/OJ story and the one where the FA was wearing the equivalent to a "I hate my job" button on her apron a couple of years back.

Furthermore, the cumulative effect of such incidents as observed by AA's customers further diminishes the brand.

Lastly, why are you so certain these sleeping FAs were on break? Even if they were on break, from the OP's observation, it appears they seem to have overslept quite a bit.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD & LAS
I would like to interject on this juncture and state I`m am living in the same world as you are. While you do provide alot of valid points to "REAL WORLD" in relation to customer service levels. AA is not a perfect airline/company. We realize we have a long way to og and will never be SQ, or our partners as in BA & CX. We may not provide the great customer service/performance you may require in relation to your perfect perfomance at your job in your previous post which I commend you on. All i can say if your not happy with the perfomance of my fellow company cohorts (FA`S) or AA since thats who i work for? Change airlines.
That's fine and I realize there are mishaps in any operation including the finest restaurants, luxury retailers and hotels. However to have trained, qualified employees sleeping on the floor of their work area with in the view of customers goes far beyond what a reasonable mishap would be. AA is getting the reputation of having disgruntled, indifferent, and surly FAs like AX, IB, NW, and UA to name a few. I'm sorry if this is such an unreasonable expectation to have but you'd be certain I'd pursue management upto and including Denise Lynn, VP of Flight Service.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
All i can say if your not happy with the perfomance of my fellow company cohorts (FA`S) or AA since thats who i work for? Change airlines.
One could also make that same argument from the customer's perspective: if you're not happy with the break duration or crew rest facilities, change employers.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Wow! This post has left me stunned!

The content of this post also reminds me of this recent story from Australia that has gone viral in recent days.

http://www.styleite.com/media/gasp-jeans-emails/
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:22 pm
Suspended

All i can say if your not happy with the perfomance of my fellow company cohorts (FA`S) or AA since thats who i work for? Change airlines.
I have four flights on AA this week. The next week I have two on CO. End of the month I have another trip and will do CO, UA, US or AA as I can credit my miles to either my *A or OW programs.

There is very little that drives me to AA beyond schedule and price - and I fly lowest fare First. During the 80s and 90s it would be very rare to have anything below very good service in AA premium cabins.

The "change airlines" response shows how little pride you have in your company and the product they deliver. Not your fault for sure - employees have endured a decade of bad management and broken promises. That said, it is what it is.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sukn
Wow! This post has left me stunned!

The content of this post also reminds me of this recent story from Australia that has gone viral in recent days.

http://www.styleite.com/media/gasp-jeans-emails/
And while maybe the Oz retailer can pull it off because they have unique products as they say specifically targeted to a narrow and appreciative audience, AA has a very mass client base and delivers nothing different or better than many other options. In other words, when you bring nothing special to the table, it pays to appreciate those who pay your wages with their patronage.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:10 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
This truly is an example of a non service attitude in a service driven business. Customers buy AA's product and what it represents to them. Maybe this is acceptable behavior to some. However, I would believe that AA's bread and butter premium customers expect and pay for a higher quality delivery of the AA brand and product.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
It might be easier to sympathize with your point if there were not three grammatical errors in the same sentence. Sort of detracts from the message.

In this case, the message of "if you don't like the mediocre service we're able to provide, go to a competitor" is hard to agree with in any case.

My experience with AA FAs have been very good. But what is reported here is laughable. Defending it in any way is even more so.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by brp
It might be easier to sympathize with your point if there were not three grammatical errors in the same sentence. Sort of detracts from the message.

In this case, the message of "if you don't like the mediocre service we're able to provide, go to a competitor" is hard to agree with in any case.

My experience with AA FAs have been very good. But what is reported here is laughable. Defending it in any way is even more so.

Cheers.
also shows how hard it would be for them to get a job in a different line of work..
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I'm actually a bit torn about this whole thread (I tore myself). I guess I'm just so used to general lackluster (not necessarily bad) service, that an FA sacked out on the floor behind a fort didn't disturb me in the least, given the exceptional level of service delivered when it was needed. I even chuckled to myself - to quote Spock: In an insane world, a sane man must appear insane. I guess I've crossed my Rubicon on that flight. Next time I'll be sure to tuck them in myself, maybe rub their backs and read 'em a story.

Just to clarify. Facts:

1. both forward access 'doors' were blocked by curtains/carts making an impregnable wall and blocking access to forward lav.

2. one FA was sleeping on the floor by the door. One other appeared to be asleep though I saw only feet/legs.

3. I have no idea what the other 1 or 2 (I think there were 4 up there but not 100% sure) were up to as they were beyond site behind the curtain.

4. A pilot was asleep in 2J for at least a portion of the flight. Nobody occupied 2H.

5. The crew delivered exceptional service during boarding, meals, prior to landing, etc.

6. Thread title was facetious.

Like I said, maybe my standards are low, but I'm more disturbed/pissed off by the NRT flights where the FA's will sit there in the jump seat for hours on end doing soduku and give you the look "how dare you come to me and ask for a diet coke". As a practice, I never press the FA button, but the next time I get that look I'm going to march back to my seat and press the damn thing every 20 minutes.

I understand the sight of any employee crashed out on the floor, at a desk, in a janitor closet, etc is definitely not what corporate has in mind for its employees, but for whatever reason this one didn't bug me. Maybe I really am nuts! Must have been the seafood soup I had!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.