Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Personal entertainment devices (PED) on Hawaii 763 (HNL, OGG)? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
This older thread has now been closed/archived.

Please also follow the new thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1468148-exciting-news-bose-qc15-headphones-samsung-galaxy-tabs-now-hnl-dfw-f.html
Print Wikipost

Personal entertainment devices (PED) on Hawaii 763 (HNL, OGG)? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by amyers
I heard a rumor that IFE were on "selected" flights from DFW-HNL and that they could be installed on all flights by the end of the year. Just rumors. Hopefully they are true because I'm in first class on flight 5 in December.
Maybe just confusion here in defintions , but AA has always offered IFE (in flight entertainment) on its non-stops to HNL/OGG from DFW and ORD. We just were on #5 and #72. In FC they pass out earbuds, show two movies (outbound) , TV shows, special features, and have all the audio channels of course that AA has system wide. These are shown on the overhead monitors and audio selection is at seat controls. What they don't load and use on the HI trips is the PED the personal "in seat" video devices designed for the 763 and used on international routes.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
Maybe just confusion here in defintions , but AA has always offered IFE (in flight entertainment) on its non-stops to HNL/OGG from DFW and ORD. We just were on #5 and #72. In FC they pass out earbuds, show two movies (outbound) , TV shows, special features, and have all the audio channels of course that AA has system wide. These are shown on the overhead monitors and audio selection is at seat controls. What they don't load and use on the HI trips is the PED the personal "in seat" video devices designed for the 763 and used on international routes.
There is no confusion. The rumor is that they will add PEDs to the Hawaii route, possibly by year's end. According to someone with consistently great information, they are just waiting for more of the units. It's also been stated that they have already begun distributing them on a limited basis.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Well, it was reported by this member in March 2010 that AA has plans to roll PED's out on the Hawaii flights once they acquire more. It was also reported that they are currently "selectively" in use on the DFW-HNL flights although there have been no reports here or elsewhere of their use.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Aug 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Related to this subject.
How about ORD-HNL? Big TV or PED?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Related to this subject.
How about ORD-HNL? Big TV or PED?
According to recent accounts found in this thread neither ORD-HNL or DFW-HNL/OGG have seen the PED's distributed yet.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:40 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by JNB280
Let me preface this by saying I have searched several times and can't find the requisite info. I'm looking for the thread/s that discuss the rumored addition of PEDs to the ORD/DFW-Hawaii routes and am coming up blank. Do any of you remember where it was discussed, or what the details were? I seem to remember that this was supposed to take place by year's end. I suppose I could have read it on another site, but I'm quite confident I read about it on FT. Bueller?....Anyone? Anyone?

Per the OP's request, this thread has now been merged into one of the existing threads. Thanks also to jerry a. laska for identifying key posts above from another thread.

/Moderator
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
You are correct. I meant to say PED's not IFE.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Gold
In Flight Entertainment options to and from HNL

Interesting flights over the weekend, outbound ORD-HNL and return HNL-DFW. Impressed with the lie flat beds for 7.5+ hour domestic flight it was much appreciated having the nice seat in FC, however the entertainment options were almost non existant. No personal DVD players as with the JFK-LAX or SFO flights, no wifi and food options in coach were buy on board. Just curious as to what AA is thinking on these flights especially with fares to any part of Hawaii being crazy high right now?
Old May 9, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by getmarshall
Interesting flights over the weekend, outbound ORD-HNL and return HNL-DFW. Impressed with the lie flat beds for 7.5+ hour domestic flight it was much appreciated having the nice seat in FC, however the entertainment options were almost non existant. No personal DVD players as with the JFK-LAX or SFO flights, no wifi and food options in coach were buy on board. Just curious as to what AA is thinking on these flights especially with fares to any part of Hawaii being crazy high right now?
Totally agree. I just got back from an HNL-DFW-JFK, and if it wasn't for bring 3 extra laptop batteries and a host of DVDs, I would've thought AA was looking to torture it's FC pax, lol.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Does anyone know a reason why they don't have the PEDs on these routes?

It seems like a cheap addition since the planes are already setup to accommodate this on the international routes. All they need to do is purchase a few more of those devices... no modification to the plane or additional infrastructure required.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by getmarshall
Did the same routing this weekend and totally agree. I was not interested in watching the Justin Bieber movie on the overhead monitor But I was glad to have gotten the upgrade and it being my first time in the NGBC seats, I was able to sleep easily (a pleasant surprise considering some of the critical comments I've seen in this forum).
Old May 9, 2011, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm doing that route in August and am very surprised there is no IFE devices given out in J. No IFE and no wifi, I'd better get some books. Seems that it is hit or miss on whether the FAs will let you use a Kindle in flight.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm doing that route in August and am very surprised there is no IFE devices given out in J. No IFE and no wifi, I'd better get some books. Seems that it is hit or miss on whether the FAs will let you use a Kindle in flight.
Where have you seen reports where a Kindle wasn't allowed on board?!
Old May 9, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Various
The topic has been brought up many times, and as the threads have been merged with the main thread, anybody can review the "why nots" and "how come" reasoning deeper in this thread.

The only data point I can provide is that when the PEDs for the 763 and NGBC seat were first introduced, occasionally they were provided (one of my flights had them back in 2007/2008?) I don't agree with not providing these units on these flights, but there could be some prohibitive thing with HNL not having the contractor or facilities to turn the Rockwell Collins units around for the next flight. If I'm not mistaken, HNL now only sees 2 or 3 daily 763 flights. Mosly leisure passengers and no consistent money making fares to the Hawaii market could be part of the reason....then again, this is my 'armchair' speculation as I don't work for AA or have any internal knowledge of their standards.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
well, given that CO runs a modified BusinessFirst service on IAH-HNL and EWR-HNL with intl planes, I wonder why AA doesn't just go and give CO a run for their money and revive the old "Hawaii Flagship Service." They've more or less already have the aircraft with the 763, they can use the PEDs from the transcons (though then they'd need a special set of PEDs based in ORD/DFW), and try to market the heck out of it. "Hawaii Flagship Service" vs "Hawaii BusinessFirst". And with 28 NGBC seats to sell, how about bringing the price down a bit and actually selling them? CO seems to do a great job of getting people to actually pay for premium seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.