Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Personal entertainment devices (PED) on Hawaii 763 (HNL, OGG)? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
This older thread has now been closed/archived.

Please also follow the new thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1468148-exciting-news-bose-qc15-headphones-samsung-galaxy-tabs-now-hnl-dfw-f.html
Print Wikipost

Personal entertainment devices (PED) on Hawaii 763 (HNL, OGG)? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by hillrider
I own a tablet, yet my choice is to step in a cabin where somebody else has done the tedious work of buying movies for me.
When I started flying on my own, after moving out of my parents' house in 1971, I got in the habit of always taking a book and/or magazine with me on a flight. I am still in the habit of taking something of my own choice to divert my mind while in Airport World.

I also choose to buy chicken breasts at the supermarket instead of buying a chicken and killing it myself. YMMV.
Poor analogy.

If you get to the supermarket and find they don't have chicken breasts in stock, you can go to another market. Alternatively, you can figure on another dish for dinner.

If you get on an airplane and find the IFE is missing/broken, then you are just stuck with nothing to do for X hours.

It's truly great when everything works the way it is supposed to work. Sometimes it doesn't.

Be Prepared. (Thank you, Lord Baden-Powell.)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I'm quite surprised that a 2.3MM EXP doesn't travel with an iPad loaded with entertainment content sufficient for such long-haul flights. Also, I am never without my BOSE headphones while traveling (I use my own instead of the AA ones). Just seems like common sense that BOSE + iPad are THE quintessential travel companions for any properly prepared EXP in today's world.
A true connoisseur would have a Sennheiser + iPad, but then I'm just being picky Let the OT responses to an OT comment begin!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This thread has now been merged into the existing discussion about the lack of PEDs on HNL 767-300 flights. This merged thread has also been retitled for improved searchability.

/Moderator
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:58 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
As a LAX/SNA based 2.3MM EXP, you have never flown LAX-HNL?
Never on a 763. Up to this point, it has always been on a 757, which doesn't have personal entertainment devices in F, so I usually make appropriate preparations.

Last edited by Hoc; Apr 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:02 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I'm quite surprised that a 2.3MM EXP doesn't travel with an iPad loaded with entertainment content sufficient for such long-haul flights. Also, I am never without my BOSE headphones while traveling (I use my own instead of the AA ones). Just seems like common sense that BOSE + iPad are THE quintessential travel companions for any properly prepared EXP in today's world.
1. I don't own an ipad. They don't accommodate my work requirements (need a device that can run WordPerfect, so I have my IBM-Compatible laptop for that), and I don't see the value in paying $500 for a device that is useless except to play movies that I can play on a DVD on my laptop; and

2. I prefer not to bring my Bose headsets with me if they are provided by AA. I prefer to travel as light as possible.

I probably would have brought my Bose headsets and a DVD or two for my laptop if I did not think there was going to be entertainment options on the plane.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:05 pm
Hoc

[QUOTE=bareflanks;18426710]
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Don't mean to sound this way, but the OP should be thankful their F experience was not on a 757 built in 1994.
I specifically picked these flights because they were 763s and I wanted the flat/angled beds, rather than the uncomfortable F seats in the 757s.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:05 pm
Hoc

Originally Posted by hillrider
I own a tablet, yet my choice is to step in a cabin where somebody else has done the tedious work of buying movies for me. I also choose to buy chicken breasts at the supermarket instead of buying a chicken and killing it myself. YMMV.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:15 pm
Hoc

Originally Posted by Bishope2
LAX-HNL isn't a bad flight regardless of aircraft your flying on, if in first and you don't have an IPad or the like. It is a five hour flight.
LAX-HNL is six hours. HNL-LAX is five.

Originally Posted by Bishope2
As for the OP not knowing things with over 2.3MM, thats not unusual.
AA is so variable in these kinds of things, I know only to check the AA website, which, of course, in this situation, was unhelpful. (Don't even get me started on asking here and getting 400+ responses to "do a search" which is usually fruitless unless you happen to already know the thread, so that you can search for the right terms.) I do fly widebodies whenever possible because I like the F/J seats on those flights better, but that's usually from LAX to New York, Miami or Europe.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:25 pm

LAX-HNL would only be 6 hours in the most extreme of headwind conditions.

The average flight times on that route are 5:10 WB and 4:50 EB.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:40 am

What do ya'll do for entertainment from closed door to 10,000 ft? Can nobody live on reading material alone?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I'm not sure why/where you thought the AA website implied you'd receive PVDs, as it clearly states they're only available on international 763 flights and select transcon 762/763 flights.
-FlyerBeek
The confusion about PVD for those flying first time on the 763 HI routes is coming from the inflight "Entertainment" page on aa.com. When you enter any flight number on the "Music and More" selections for the month. . . if a 763 is the scheduled aircraft (which include HI routes) it states that you will get a PVD in J class and to see the Samsung choices below. So, a first timer, excited about their HI vacation and flying F on a 763 would assume that was correct.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=bareflanks;18426710]
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I don't own an iPad, either. My choice: Kindle, iPod, Killer Sudoku.

My preference is noise cancelling ear-buds plugged into nothing. After commuting LAX-HNL twice a month for years, the 763's were wonderful. Don't mean to sound this way, but the OP should be thankful their F experience was not on a 757 built in 1994.
Or worse, the 757's w/the refurbished cabins-those seats are just awful!

While the PEDs would be nice, I'm in agreement one should always have one's own entertainment-never know when the GA will announce, 'sorry folks, IFE on this plane isn't working so you may want to pick up a magazine before we leave'. Happened on the very route in question just a few weeks ago, albeit on the 757 referenced above.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by skylady
Can nobody live on reading material alone?
^
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:27 pm

Hi,

I have just discovered to my horror that it appears that if travelling from DFW to Honolulu in First that there is no form of tv .... tell me it is not true .... having paid a small fortune for these flights, I am bit shocked by this ....

Mark
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by isplumm
Hi,

I have just discovered to my horror that it appears that if travelling from DFW to Honolulu in First that there is no form of tv .... tell me it is not true .... having paid a small fortune for these flights, I am bit shocked by this ....

Mark
Well, you seem to have posted in the thread that has the answers to your question, so there you have it

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.