Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Personal entertainment devices (PED) on Hawaii 763 (HNL, OGG)? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
This older thread has now been closed/archived.

Please also follow the new thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1468148-exciting-news-bose-qc15-headphones-samsung-galaxy-tabs-now-hnl-dfw-f.html
Print Wikipost

Personal entertainment devices (PED) on Hawaii 763 (HNL, OGG)? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
anyone heard of a "book"? That's spelled "b o o k". It has these slips of paper tied together in the middle, and there's interesting (sometimes even fascinating) writing printed on those pieces of paper.

Try reading one on your next flight.

[in an effort to be helpful, I've started a new thread "What to read on your next flight" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post13836615]
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
anyone heard of a "book"? That's spelled "b o o k". It has these slips of paper tied together in the middle, and there's interesting (sometimes even fascinating) writing printed on those pieces of paper.

Try reading one on your next flight.

[in an effort to be helpful, I've started a new thread "What to read on your next flight" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post13836615]
Of course this doesn't change the fact that the absence of inseat IFE is inexcusable on a route of this length, especially considering how easy it would be to provision the PEDs on the equipment in question.

I'll be on AA 5 in July, in F, and I'm glad I didn't pay money for these tickets.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Of course this doesn't change the fact that the absence of inseat IFE is inexcusable on a route of this length, especially considering how easy it would be to provision the PEDs on the equipment in question.

I'll be on AA 5 in July, in F, and I'm glad I didn't pay money for these tickets.
If AA offered a JFK-GUM nonstop, I wouldn't be surprised if we had no PED's in F and no meals in coach since it's technically a "domestic" flight, though I wonder if congress would step in and do something about no meals in coach on a 17 hour flight.

As for the no PED issue on DFW-HNL, you can solve that yourself, just go buy yourself an iPad along with some Bose headphones and you have your own PED that you can take anywhere with you for minimal bulk aside from that $1000 hole in your pocket!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I just must be beaten down by AA as when I'm going the lack of IFE is just another issue to overcome and not a real consideration as I just automatically pack my own entertainment without worrying about it too much now well other than whether the powerports will work
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:27 pm

Hawaii Inflight Entertainment

Let me preface this by saying I have searched several times and can't find the requisite info. I'm looking for the thread/s that discuss the rumored addition of PEDs to the ORD/DFW-Hawaii routes and am coming up blank. Do any of you remember where it was discussed, or what the details were? I seem to remember that this was supposed to take place by year's end. I suppose I could have read it on another site, but I'm quite confident I read about it on FT. Bueller?....Anyone? Anyone?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two threads with much speculation on the topics

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-more-ife.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-ex-bos.html
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I flew on ORD-HNL a few weeks ago and not surprisingly, there were no PEDs.

I don't think there was ever an official announcement that the Hawaii 767 routes would receive PED service.

Bring a laptop along and an inverter, problem solved and you can choose your own movies.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I flew DFW-HNL and HNL-DFW in July and no PEDs in either direction on those, either.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I knew I couldn't be the only one who brings my laptop to Hawaii. Who needs a PED when you can watch exactly what you want?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by HNL
Thanks for the links, but those don't contain the info I remember reading. I seem to recall it being an informal announcement made by someone who has reliably relayed advance notice in the past.

I don't think there was ever an official announcement that the Hawaii 767 routes would receive PED service.

Bring a laptop along and an inverter, problem solved and you can choose your own movies.
I think you're correct, I was just looking for the thread because it had more details than what I could remember like an estimated start date, and I wanted to forward the info on to someone.

As to bringing a laptop, that's what I do too. However, considering that the only purpose it serves for me while traveling to Hawaii is that of a PED, I wouldn't mind leaving it at home. I can always get email through my BB and if absolutely necessary, I can use the hotel business centre for fast internet accesses. Crazy as it may sound, I don't mind not being 100% wired while decompressing in da 'aina.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JNB280
Thanks for the links, but those don't contain the info I remember reading. I seem to recall it being an informal announcement made by someone who has reliably relayed advance notice in the past.

I think you're correct, I was just looking for the thread because it had more details than what I could remember like an estimated start date, and I wanted to forward the info on to someone.

As to bringing a laptop, that's what I do too. However, considering that the only purpose it serves for me while traveling to Hawaii is that of a PED, I wouldn't mind leaving it at home. I can always get email through my BB and if absolutely necessary, I can use the hotel business centre for fast internet accesses. Crazy as it may sound, I don't mind not being 100% wired while decompressing in da 'aina.
Here is the thread. Go to the march 2010 posts. Like this one and this one that says they are already being used DFW-HNL "selectively" although there have been no reports here or elsewhere of their use that I know of.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Here is the thread. Go to the march 2010 posts. Like this one and this one that says they are already being used DFW-HNL "selectively" although there have been no reports here or elsewhere of their use that I know of.
Yes, that was the thread I was looking for. Thanks for that jerry a. laska. I still think I read an estimated "official" implementation date, but that could very well have been on a different site. Thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you're looking to be entertained by AA to/from HNL/OGG on the 767, be prepared for about the only disappointing aspect of these flights. It's shared, cabin-wide screen only, no portable entertainment, no in-seat entertainment. If you have the misfortune of traveling during the Christmas holidays, your "entertainment" consists of ancient films like "Elf".

I always bring my own entertainment on these flights. Or I "entertain" myself with cocktails. It's also a good sleeping opportunity up front.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just booked my HNL trip to see a friend. No IFE? that's ok. Also just bought BOSE headphones and an AMAZON kindle!! YESS
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:21 am

I heard a rumor that IFE were on "selected" flights from DFW-HNL and that they could be installed on all flights by the end of the year. Just rumors. Hopefully they are true because I'm in first class on flight 5 in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.