Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
From ANA's website "The All New A380: Transforming ANA Travel to Hawaii"
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/promotions/airbus380/?cid=anaustop201812358

Great video of the A380 paintwork, from Airbus: https://youtu.be/wndab27nF8E
The first roll out, also from Airbus: https://youtu.be/ayQC68K9UhA

ANA Unveils the Features of its Honolulu Lounge (for the A 380)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1912260-ana-unveils-features-its-honolulu-lounge-380-a.html
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I don't pretend to know the subject in depth, but it's my impression that the A380 isn't exactly super popular with most airlines - there are more airlines that have them are looking to get rid of them than there are airlines seeking to acquire them. Yeah, there are exceptions, but overall it seems that adoption of the A380 has significantly slowed or stopped altogether. While I'm sure it would be fun to ride in a premium cabin on an NH A380, I don't think the plane seems like a good fit for this airline. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
When the A380 was first developed/ sold wasn't it aimed specifically at the slot restricted markets like Japan? There must be a reason neither JL or NH have purchased them, and I don't expect that to change.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Madone59
When the A380 was first developed/ sold wasn't it aimed specifically at the slot restricted markets like Japan? There must be a reason neither JL or NH have purchased them, and I don't expect that to change.
Narita was heavily capacity restricted when the development started, and domestic Japan was 747 for trunk routes. It was thought to be one of the ideal markets.
Haneda was added to the international market, plus a second runway at Narita means that the Tokyo market became far less constrained.
Domestically, the 747s were replaced with 777-300 and 777-200. The 300 has almost the same capacity as the 747 it replaced. With more airlines coming in, Skymark, Starflyer, Solaseed, Jet Star Japan, Peach, and a few others, the need for bigger airplanes were probably reduced.
Finally, Haneda has not yet been opened for A380. It took Lufthansa a while to just get the 747-8 approved. I noticed a gate the other day at the international terminal that seemed to have 3 boarding arms, so maybe the A380 will be coming. It was just a quick glimpse during take off so am not sure.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Finally, Haneda has not yet been opened for A380. It took Lufthansa a while to just get the 747-8 approved. I noticed a gate the other day at the international terminal that seemed to have 3 boarding arms, so maybe the A380 will be coming. It was just a quick glimpse during take off so am not sure.
EK has used an A380 to HND before. It is only useable for the night slots.

I'm more surprised that QF is allowed to park a 747 at HND all day.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
EK used to have 380 service to NRT, but I believe the HND flight has always been a 777.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What makes the market for Korea with less than half the population of Japan be able to have both KE & OZ operating the A380 but neither NH or JL can for Japan?

Korea is also the only country that has its two main airlines both operating the A380, right?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by warakorn
IST cannot handle the A380.
No, they won't. They cannot handle it. Only other airports who can bring A380 to FRA, CDG, MUC, AMS, LHR, FCO, MXP, MAN, LGW, ZRH, DXB, JED, AUH, JFK, IAD, ATL, MIA, LAX, SFO, DFW, IAH, NRT, HKG, SIN, BKK, SYD, MEL, BNE, PER, AKL, PEK, PVG, CAN, JNB, CPT, MRU, KUL, DOH, BOM, DEL, and ICN.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Himeno
EK has used an A380 to HND before. It is only useable for the night slots.

I'm more surprised that QF is allowed to park a 747 at HND all day.
It may have been flown there as a demonstration flight, but Haneda is not A380 ready. Yet.

I guess they tow the QF bird somewhere, I don't think HND lacks remote stand space during the day. More an issue of gate space.

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, they won't. They cannot handle it. Only other airports who can bring A380 to FRA, CDG, MUC, AMS, LHR, FCO, MXP, MAN, LGW, ZRH, DXB, JED, AUH, JFK, IAD, ATL, MIA, LAX, SFO, DFW, IAH, NRT, HKG, SIN, BKK, SYD, MEL, BNE, PER, AKL, PEK, PVG, CAN, JNB, CPT, MRU, KUL, DOH, BOM, DEL, and ICN.
Add Copenhagen to that list soon. Right now they are getting ready for the first two class EK A380 flights.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Domestically, the 747s were replaced with 777-300 and 777-200. The 300 has almost the same capacity as the 747 it replaced. With more airlines coming in, Skymark, Starflyer, Solaseed, Jet Star Japan, Peach, and a few others, the need for bigger airplanes were probably reduced.
Other than that, another reason is ITM banned 4 engines planes due to noise. HND-ITM is 6th busiest route in the world, so basically A380 won't have much use in Japan other than HND-CTS and HND-OKA, which means 4 to 5 planes are enough, a small fleet of new plane type would not make any financial sense.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What makes the market for Korea with less than half the population of Japan be able to have both KE & OZ operating the A380 but neither NH or JL can for Japan?

Korea is also the only country that has its two main airlines both operating the A380, right?
It doesn't, and OZ wasn't in a position to buy A380 anyway, it is more due to the pressure of KE, you can also see how few 380 OZ had bought, as there is basically 2 routes would fit in the entire OZ network.

Some can say OZ buy 380 to replace 744, but basically OZ only had 4 744 left, with 2 of them are 74M, which means it only has the capacity of a 772, that also means 380 would be way over capacity for the route operated by 74M, like FRA. (FRA is always one of the few F routes with OZ that have consistent award space in all classes, so you can see how good is the yield compare to LAX and JFK)

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
UAE too, of course.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Other than that, another reason is ITM banned 4 engines planes due to noise. HND-ITM is 6th busiest route in the world, so basically A380 won't have much use in Japan other than HND-CTS and HND-OKA, which means 4 to 5 planes are enough, a small fleet of new plane type would not make any financial sense.
I agree that it's really unlikely that we would see the 380 on domestic flights in Japan. If it ever flies from HND, I would expect to see it on international routes, where its capacity would be more useful in light of the slot restrictions.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:33 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Just out, http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...Hawaii-service
ANA Holdings will order three Airbus A380s as it seeks to expand international service amid a peaking market for domestic flights.

The deal, worth around 150 billion yen ($1.23 billion) based on the market price, would make ANA the first Japanese airline to add the superjumbos to its fleet. The planes are to be introduced in fiscal 2018 in routes to Hawaii and elsewhere.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Are they really "ordering" 3 NEW A380s or simply buying Skymarks dust filled planes?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:50 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Are they really "ordering" 3 NEW A380s or simply buying Skymarks dust filled planes?
2 from Skymark + 1 from Transaero per http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/12/...e-airbus-a380/

It is likely that if the order report ends up being true that ANA probably scored a fairly good deal for the A380s. There are three that are parked in which two were supposed to be delivered to Skymark while the other one to Transaero, but these will no longer be delivered to their respective customers which makes it seem likely that these will be handed over to ANA.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Very cool. 3 class or will these be HD I wonder.
Also with 3 frames how many/what sort of routes can they operate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.