Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
From ANA's website "The All New A380: Transforming ANA Travel to Hawaii"
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/promotions/airbus380/?cid=anaustop201812358

Great video of the A380 paintwork, from Airbus: https://youtu.be/wndab27nF8E
The first roll out, also from Airbus: https://youtu.be/ayQC68K9UhA

ANA Unveils the Features of its Honolulu Lounge (for the A 380)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1912260-ana-unveils-features-its-honolulu-lounge-380-a.html
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me

Sources are saying that this was a factor in Airbus's decision to support ANA's proposal to bail out Skymark, thus keeping Delta (a much bigger Airbus customer) from picking up a Japanese partner.

In the Nikkei:

The odds began to move in ANA's favor late last month when the company made a promise to Airbus of future aircraft orders, carefully couched so as not to trigger a disclosure requirement, people familiar with the matter said.

It is unclear how many or what model ANA pledged to buy. But a likely choice is the A380 superjumbo jet, which Skymark had planned to fly on international routes before its finances took a turn for the worse. With a catalog price of roughly $430 million, the A380 ranks as Airbus' top-of-the-line model, though it has proven unpopular among international carriers. Airbus has been pitching the double-decker, wide-body jet aggressively.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I believe it is to take over the Skymark's 380 that had already been built, which is just 2 planes. However, it is a possibility that NH may just trade in the 2 380 with Boeing in exchange for more 788/789 or even 777X (Boeing can also act as a plane leasing company, like SQ in the past had traded in their 343 in exchange for 77W)

If you are talking about NH is going to buy more Airbus models, NH already has an order for A320NEO.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

I don't know who you would get to lease a pair of A380s -- EK is the only candidate that comes to mind.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
I don't know who you would get to lease a pair of A380s -- EK is the only candidate that comes to mind.
TK has also been rumored at various times to be interested in A380s
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
It would make sense that TK takes the A380s.

I think NH is doing it as an bluff or to hold off DL from getting them.

NH made the decision to back off the 747s and definitely would not want to engage into the a380s.

NH bought 777-300ER's to replace it's 747s and 787s to replace it's 767s and routes that do not require such large aircraft.

On the other side I really hope ANA takes in the A380s. I'm worried NH is going to phase out F in the next decades based on it's latest configuration patterns with the 777 and especially the 787.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
IST cannot handle the A380.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:54 am
Original Poster

And, it should be added, neither can HND.

I *could* imagine ANA operating A380s, but they would need more than two -- probably Skymark's full allotment of six. My best guess is that they would put the 380s on NRT-LAX/JFK and try to squash the competition on cost and service quality. Perhaps rotate the aircraft to SIN/BKK/HKG/PEK/PVG as well. One can dream.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
My bad, was jet lagged after some long flying.

I thought it said TG. TG would be an good fit to replace those 747s

I *could* imagine ANA operating A380s, but they would need more than two -- probably Skymark's full allotment of six. My best guess is that they would put the 380s on NRT-LAX/JFK and try to squash the competition on cost and service quality. Perhaps rotate the aircraft to SIN/BKK/HKG/PEK/PVG as well. One can dream.
You think it could be an slot reasoning too? Not only to keep DL out but also to not expand JALs slots?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

I think NH is doing it as an bluff or to hold off DL from getting them.

NH made the decision to back off the 747s and definitely would not want to engage into the a380s.

NH bought 777-300ER's to replace it's 747s and 787s to replace it's 767s and routes that do not require such large aircraft.

On the other side I really hope ANA takes in the A380s. I'm worried NH is going to phase out F in the next decades based on it's latest configuration patterns with the 777 and especially the 787.
All the new 77W have been coming with F so I do not see a concern from that part of the fleet. It can maybe worry a bit that the 787-9 comes without F. The big question will be what happens with the 777X but that is still quite far down the road to guess. I don't fear F going away, but it will definitely be very targeted on specific markets.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum

The A380 is permitted at HND during the evening slots, IIRC.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Sure, but how do you fill an A380 at midnight, and where do you send it? ANA can barely fill a 772 to LAX.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:53 am

If NH takes Skymark's A380s, sells the a380s, do they get all the slots SkyMark had?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If NH takes Skymark's A380s, sells the a380s, do they get all the slots SkyMark had?
As far as I read the plan, Skymark will continue to exist as a carrier, with ANA as a minority shareholder. So no, NH will not get the slots.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warakorn
Won't the new airport be able to? What is the ETA on that...or is at BER type thing?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
My bad, was jet lagged after some long flying.

I thought it said TG. TG would be an good fit to replace those 747s
TG is in a majoring restructuring, 10 747 will retire by year end, and the possibility of selling some A380. TG already has 77W to replace 744, not to mention Rome and LAX is going to cancel, that further free up its widebodies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.