Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA award change policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are a lot of flights cancelled at the moment, but it sort of happens in 2-3 months blocks at a time, so if you are looking beyond that horizon, then you will see the usual schedule and the actual availability on the usual schedule.

If you are planning to travel while the current restrictions are in place, be aware that you are not allowed to take a domestic flight the first 14 days after arriving from outside of Japan due to the quarantine requirements.
Yeah I'm currently looking at the end of the available dates (early June) since that's where the JFK-HND availability is. Hoping the situation is better then. Thanks for all the help
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fengo
Yeah I'm currently looking at the end of the available dates (early June) since that's where the JFK-HND availability is. Hoping the situation is better then. Thanks for all the help
June 2022***
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fengo
To be honest, as NH are pretty good about checking in across tickets, and you'd anyway have to reclaim luggage in Tokyo, I would not worry too much about splitting the ticket in two. Just need a bit more time between flights than on a single ticket.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:54 am

So have we determined that ANA is only initially releasing one F award seat on US -> TYO routes?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Morkai
So have we determined that ANA is only initially releasing one F award seat on US -> TYO routes?
Did we? When I flew JFK to HND and back I could get 2 F award seats a couple of years back (and I was using VS miles aka the availability window opens later). And last year two showed up on the same route - but had to cancel due to covid.
I think different routes might have different amount of F seats open for awards.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
If you redeposit your miles for cancelling an award booking, do you also get the taxes/fees refunded?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
If you redeposit your miles for cancelling an award booking, do you also get the taxes/fees refunded?
Taxes/fees are refunded, you get charged 3,000 per flier
Changes and Refunds | Using Miles | ANA Mileage Club

Customers who wish to request a mileage refund for an ANA partner airline award ticket may do so prior to the departure of the reserved flight only if all sectors have not been used. After the designated amount of miles is deducted as a refund charge, the miles will be refunded to the mileage account.
  • *1.The oldest miles with the fastest approaching expiration dates will take precedence for deduction.
Mileage for Refund Charge
  • 3,000 miles per customer
  • Taxes and fees for unused awards will be refunded.

Last edited by bizum; Jul 22, 2021 at 8:47 am Reason: added the blurb
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Quick question for ANA redemption veterans out there. Because roundtrip redemptions are required, I have to book DFW-HND-DFW at the outset. After flying outbound segment DFW-HND, am I still permitted to change the date of the return HND-DFW?

EDIT- I was able to call the ANA service desk and confirm the answer is yes. Their service desk for the Americas is US based and seem very tenure and well-trained.

Last edited by ultrasoul; Aug 11, 2021 at 2:35 pm
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:45 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Can partner award be changed online on ana's website or does one have to call in? I see reference for online change but in the manage reservation there doesn't seem to be an option to make changes to the flight date.

Actually just called and changed. Another issue, the outbound is confirmed and will depart soon, but the inboud return flight is likely to be canceled soon (I see zero inventory set for flight). If that happens before the outbound flight, can one still board the confirmed outbound flight first and fix the return ticket later? Or does everything need to be confirmed and reticketed before one uses the first sector?

Basically I'd like to keep the ticket as-is and fly the outbound then fix the return when availability opens, if possible.

Last edited by jix; Sep 7, 2021 at 12:39 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
So I just had an interesting award change.
Had 2x CLT - YYZ (overnight connection) - ADD - VFA (stopover, open jaw) // CPT - EWR // (stopover, open jaw) CLT - ORD booked for 104k ANA points as a business award for March 2022. Have 2 companions also on the trip on different flights CLT - IAD - ADD - VFA (stopover, open jaw) // CPT - EWR // (stopover, open jaw) // CLT - ORD 2x business.
TLDR; Took a lot of wrangling, coordination, and luck but was able to change to more desired flights including origination change due to a significant cancellation and schedule change
  • Last week our YYZ - ADD segment on ET was cancelled due to a schedule change. The system auto-rebooked us on the next day's flight which caused a 36 hour layover in Toronto and arriving at our destination 24 hours late.
  • I called ANA asking to get on IAD - ADD instead for our original date despite there not being partner business award availability to remediate the schedule change and got on same flights as companions. I asked them to call ET and ask if they could open up space. They called the ET partner desk (maybe just the regular ET contact center) and ET said no
  • I contacted ET myself by e-mail to their contact center and explained the situation - they said they could not open the space.
  • I then looked up a ET executive on LinkedIn associated with revenue management and operations, wrote her an e-mail explaining that ET involuntary schedule change was blowing up my trip and ET thus far wouldn't open the space to remediate it. I used the contact center to send her the e-mail
  • Someone from her team contacted me and opened the business award space I needed for IAD - ADD. Woohoo
  • As soon as they did ANA auto-sent me an e-mail saying my waitlist had cleared and the segment was showing in my reservation, I just had to reticket
  • I called ANA the next day to reticket and sadly the segment had "dropped out" that ET fixed. I should have called right away
  • I contacted the executive's team point person who helped me and asked them to reopen it and I would instantly re-issue the ticket with ANA so it wouldn't drop out. They did. Thankfully.
  • I called ANA to reticket. Problem was CLT - IAD not available on UA to keep the origin the same. ANA representative called a supervisor and said its against policy to change the origination even in the case of an involuntary schedule change or flight cancellation. I either had to accept starting from CLT or get a refund and cancel the trip. I HUACA'd
  • Next call to ANA representative was more sympathetic. She contacted a supervisor to see if they could cancel my reservation and refund the points whilst keeping all my segments in-place (including the coveted EWR - CPT in Polaris) and then rebook. This was approved and so I kept the same record locator but had to have my taxes/fees and points refunded and then over the phone rebooked
  • New itinerary in place IAD - ADD - VFA (stopover, open jaw) // CPT - EWR // (stopover, open jaw) CLT - ORD. I will book separately CLT - IAD
Hope this data points helps for reference on future changes.
geclub1, Vyvd, aquanine and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Does anyone know how their customer service handle cancellations/schedule changes these days? Say I book a roundtrip ticket in business and the return flight gets cancelled. If there is zero seat availability +/- 5 days do they automatically cancel the ticket (and leave me stranded), drop me into economy class, or magically open up award ticket?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:53 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Confused about a RTW Award Validity. Is it 12 Months from Date of Issue - 12 Months after First Flight. Or may read somewhere 18 months.

r
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:38 pm

Tried to change my Y class to F class, willing to pay the difference but apparently you cannot do that.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Did they say this could be done online now? I remember in the past wanting to change the return after taking the outbound, but it was not an option online.

Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Quick question for ANA redemption veterans out there. Because roundtrip redemptions are required, I have to book DFW-HND-DFW at the outset. After flying outbound segment DFW-HND, am I still permitted to change the date of the return HND-DFW?

EDIT- I was able to call the ANA service desk and confirm the answer is yes. Their service desk for the Americas is US based and seem very tenure and well-trained.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:13 am

I'm booked on a RTW flight using ANA miles. One of the flights is TPE-SIN on BR, which is cancelled with no other BR flights on the date I need to fly. Is it possible to cancel the flight and keep the rest of the itinerary, and receive the corresponding refund in miles and taxes? I will then book the TPE-SIN flight on another airline on my own. I haven't asked ANA about this because the flight still shows up on the ANA booking, even though it's no longer appears on BR's website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.