Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA award change policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
If I’m reading the rules correctly, I can change class, yes? Currently have an international business class ticket on partners but had to grab economy seats for a few short US domestic and intra Europe segments. Business seats now available for half our pax. If this change is permitted, will they have to split the PNRs since only two of four pax would be changed for that one segment? Not a big deal, just curious.

Also, and I feel like this is a yes but it’s been a long time since I flew international business, if the ticket is booked as business (could only get J seats on long haul tho) then the shorter economy segments (UA and A3) still receive the same benefits as the business ticket, yes? For example, if connecting BNA-ORD-EWR-LHR, and all but the last segment is economy, I still can use business check in and lounges etc throughout?
With Star Alliance lounge access depends on the class of the departure flight, or status. Meaning if you depart in Y you need a Star Alliance Gold card to get lounge access. There are a few specific exceptions, but I can't see those being applicable to your examples. Like arriving with Lufthansa in F in Frankfurt and Munich.

Same for check-in, if you break the journey, and leave the airport you will be checking in at the counter of your departing flight class or status, arriving flight does not count. If your first flight is Y, followed by a long haul in J on the same airline, you would likely be allowed to use the J counters. But if you stay airside all the way to the end, you only check in once. Though transit security along the route would also relegate you to the lines of your departing class or status.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:00 am

Looking to book a round-trip biz class ticket NRT-LAX/SFO for Feb 2024. Because the tickets seem to go very fast within a day, I'm trying to book each way on the day of the initial release (355 days out?). However, if I book the outbound ticket on the day of release, I don't have any dummy return tickets to book because they wouldn't be released yet. Any suggestions on what to do? TIA!
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
With Star Alliance lounge access depends on the class of the departure flight, or status. Meaning if you depart in Y you need a Star Alliance Gold card to get lounge access. There are a few specific exceptions, but I can't see those being applicable to your examples. Like arriving with Lufthansa in F in Frankfurt and Munich.

Same for check-in, if you break the journey, and leave the airport you will be checking in at the counter of your departing flight class or status, arriving flight does not count. If your first flight is Y, followed by a long haul in J on the same airline, you would likely be allowed to use the J counters. But if you stay airside all the way to the end, you only check in once. Though transit security along the route would also relegate you to the lines of your departing class or status.
Ah. Got it. My first inbound flight is Y on A3 so I guess that means a no go for lounges until I get to LHR for J. I have an overnight connection there (after another connection) Was hoping to hit lounge afree inbound flight before going to hotel. I guess that won’t happen. I was also concerned about how many bags I could check bc I thought it was 1 with Y and 2 with J. But I just checked ticket and it’s 2, so that’s good.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brokenarcher
Looking to book a round-trip biz class ticket NRT-LAX/SFO for Feb 2024. Because the tickets seem to go very fast within a day, I'm trying to book each way on the day of the initial release (355 days out?). However, if I book the outbound ticket on the day of release, I don't have any dummy return tickets to book because they wouldn't be released yet. Any suggestions on what to do? TIA!
Is there anything in rules that says you can’t flip the dates? So book lax/sfo-nrt before nrt-lax/sfo and then flip that outbound to the inbound? I don’t know if it would work. There may be some language re not changing the turnaround city. Otherwise I think I’d wait until the day after outbound to book so you can grab a return on the day of arrival. They used to hold Ana flights for a few days. If they still do that, hold on the outbound would give you enough time to book a dummy return and change later.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Is there anything in rules that says you can’t flip the dates? So book lax/sfo-nrt before nrt-lax/sfo and then flip that outbound to the inbound? I don’t know if it would work. There may be some language re not changing the turnaround city. Otherwise I think I’d wait until the day after outbound to book so you can grab a return on the day of arrival. They used to hold Ana flights for a few days. If they still do that, hold on the outbound would give you enough time to book a dummy return and change later.
Yea I thought about this but according to posters above this would be considered a route change which is not allowed
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by brokenarcher
Yea I thought about this but according to posters above this would be considered a route change which is not allowed
Not 100% sure (as it was some years ago), but I think I used the same day as return (impossible but it worked as far as I remember)
Old Feb 7, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by blitzen
Not 100% sure (as it was some years ago), but I think I used the same day as return (impossible but it worked as far as I remember)
If you start in Japan, you can book Tokyo-US-Tokyo as the flights generally arrive and depart the same day in the US as they departed from Japan. Then when the actual desired return date opens later you can move the return flight. But I don't think you can Switch the order of Tokyo US Tokyo to be US Tokyo US.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Feb 8, 2023 at 2:43 pm
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:43 pm

If you start in Japan, you can book Tokyo-US-Tokyo as the flights generally arrive and depart the same in the US as they departed from Japan. Then when the actual desired return date opens later you can move the return flight. But I don't think you can Switch the order of Tokyo US Tokyo to be US Tokyo US.
ANA is very strict on the rules. If only the time is to be changed, that may be OK. But no routing change for free.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
If you start in Japan, you can book Tokyo-US-Tokyo as the flights generally arrive and depart the same day in the US as they departed from Japan. Then when the actual desired return date opens later you can move the return flight. But I don't think you can Switch the order of Tokyo US Tokyo to be US Tokyo US.
I did the impossible US-Japan-US connection which was on the same calendar day departure (if memory serves)
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did the impossible US-Japan-US connection which was on the same calendar day departure (if memory serves)
It is not impossible to book US-JP-US, BUT the reason why some people like to book JP-US-JP is that outbound and return opens for availability on the same day. So you can confirm a full return on the day the first flight opens. For US-JP-US you will need to wait for one or two days after the first flight opens before you can confirm a return. But if either option succeeds, you can then move the return flight to the actual return date you want when that happens.

But you can't book US-JP-US on the same calendar day, as the return flight would need to depart before the outbound arrives. As a single ticket, the system would reject that.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:53 pm

I booked 4x J ticket via phone bc website couldn’t ticket. All partner airlines. One segment in Y. Now 2x J seats have opened up for that segment. Two questions:

1) is it possible to change this online?
2) will this split the PNR since 2x are in Y and 2x are in J for that one segment?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Is there *any* flexibility with changing awards?

My UA NRT-LAX flight got canceled, and I got rerouted NRT-SFO-LAX. I actually want to fly in and out of SFO (I only booked out of LAX for availability). Is there any possible chance I could try for an exception and get it moved to SFO?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by lesamuel
Is there *any* flexibility with changing awards?

My UA NRT-LAX flight got canceled, and I got rerouted NRT-SFO-LAX. I actually want to fly in and out of SFO (I only booked out of LAX for availability). Is there any possible chance I could try for an exception and get it moved to SFO?
UA or ANA awards booking?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
UA or ANA awards booking?
ANA, sadly.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:46 am

Does anyone know if I cancel an ANA award flight booked with ANA miles, will it get immediately added to the system as a bookable ticket? What if it was booked with partner miles (e.g. AC)? TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.