Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Tempted the travel gods too much by getting moved to a later departure (and shorter connection) on a schedule & route change. SEA runway didn't get us, but MX on a RON QX did. LAX hotel and coach instead of F and the beach.

Sure notice the higher load factors and reduced frequency in the AS network when trying to find alternatives. And the loss of AA benefits. $150+ to sit with my wife in MCE or seperately in Y.
Hear you on the loads even out of BOI planes are packed. But then air travel in the past few years has been getting less and less fun (for business )
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Air MVP Gold
Access

Are there any alternate was to get access to the board room? My wife has an American Express card that advertises club access but I'm not sure if it includes the Alaska Lounge. I use the ANC/SEA and PDX lounges frequently and am MVP Gold but wonder if there is a card out there that might save me the $295 every year?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flat Lake Flyer
Are there any alternate was to get access to the board room? My wife has an American Express card that advertises club access but I'm not sure if it includes the Alaska Lounge. I use the ANC/SEA and PDX lounges frequently and am MVP Gold but wonder if there is a card out there that might save me the $295 every year?
The Priority Pass membership with the Amex Plat includes the PDX and ANC Alaska Lounges, but not the SEA locations anymore as of last month.
Flat Lake Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Flat Lake Flyer
if your wife has AmEx Plat with PP, then use AmEx to access Centurion Lounge at SEA and TRY to access PDX and ANC with Priority Pass. (Capacity controlled so many times No PP sign is out). Status only gets you discount on AS Lounge membership. Currently, AS is offering discounted Day Passes for AS Visa card holders.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS
Interesting DP. On phone with AS, in SEA, and they asked if we could hold off on entering system for a few minutes. "Our system goes down everyday around 2:30 and I don't want to lose what we are working on".
We both laughed and waited 2 minutes. Then, everything went smoothly.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Interesting DP. On phone with AS, in SEA, and they asked if we could hold off on entering system for a few minutes. "Our system goes down everyday around 2:30 and I don't want to lose what we are working on".
We both laughed and waited 2 minutes. Then, everything went smoothly.

IT has never been AS strong suit since the early 2000's.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS- flag carrier of the Republic of Cascadia?

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:18 pm

"Seattle Shuttle" signage is gone from PDX A2-5 gate area. Could have sworn it was still here a couple months ago. Or am I misremembering where it was?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
What a pathetic place the Alaska lounges have become. I am in the north lounge at SEA, the soup is almost empty and barely lukewarm, there is not even a sign out saying what it used to be. The mini refrigerators that used to have carrots celery cheeses another snack foods are both empty. The salad bowl Has some pathetic iceberg lettuce and just enough carrots and purple cabbage shreds to create some color within the bowl. Blue cheese and some sort of raspberry vinaigrette are the only offerings for dressings. I am so glad I gave up my membership as the rooms continue to go further into the abyss.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
What a pathetic place the Alaska lounges have become. I am in the north lounge at SEA, the soup is almost empty and barely lukewarm, there is not even a sign out saying what it used to be. The mini refrigerators that used to have carrots celery cheeses another snack foods are both empty. The salad bowl Has some pathetic iceberg lettuce and just enough carrots and purple cabbage shreds to create some color within the bowl. Blue cheese and some sort of raspberry vinaigrette are the only offerings for dressings. I am so glad I gave up my membership as the rooms continue to go further into the abyss.
Bob where have you been !!!! These have been in steady decline for years. They "bandaged" up with the "satellite" at N Gates while it was welcomed it quickly became overran due to the movement of flights over, then they took over the old Admirals Club that helped as well. If one has been in there lately you will see the disgusting furniture full of dirt grease and over stains from people putting their feet, shoes boots on them. The legacy rooms are all "ghetto" lounges and have been. Witness San Diego a perfectly nice former UA clubroom and they won't open it saying it does not make sense. I say look around that terminal during the day and you tell me. SO what does AS do with their money spend it in New York, Really so when did NY become that important that us who really feed AS have to contend with dumps out here !

After 15 years of membership I dropped the BR instead relying on my purchase of FC tickets/PP/Centurion Lounges.

First no more cookies at Xmas, then this! As one can see this has been a sore point with me for ages.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Bob where have you been !!!! These have been in steady decline for years. They "bandaged" up with the "satellite" at N Gates while it was welcomed it quickly became overran due to the movement of flights over, then they took over the old Admirals Club that helped as well. If one has been in there lately you will see the disgusting furniture full of dirt grease and over stains from people putting their feet, shoes boots on them. The legacy rooms are all "ghetto" lounges and have been. Witness San Diego a perfectly nice former UA clubroom and they won't open it saying it does not make sense. I say look around that terminal during the day and you tell me. SO what does AS do with their money spend it in New York, Really so when did NY become that important that us who really feed AS have to contend with dumps out here !

After 15 years of membership I dropped the BR instead relying on my purchase of FC tickets/PP/Centurion Lounges.

First no more cookies at Xmas, then this! As one can see this has been a sore point with me for ages.
I was a Bored Room member for over 20 years but gave it up as the rooms got bad. There was also the issue of FOX (not) news being the only thing ever on TV at the ANC lounge and the lounge manager there lying to me more than once. I continued to access the lounges using PP, until that option ended at the end of August. I used the SEA N lounge last night only because our flight was late and I did not have time to go to one of the PP lounges. Plus, I had two lounge passes that expire at the end of the year.

When I asked about the lack of food options with the bartender, I could see that there was sadness and disgust in their eyes, They stated that "AS is continually changing the program and not telling the staff what the program is". They were not happy. I did not want to press it, so I let it drop. There is absolutely nothing that would convince me to rejoin or even pay for a day pass anymore. It is truly tragic how bad these places have become.

I have said that the lounges are treated as the hated, red-headed step child almost since the beginning by Management. Now they are not even trying to hide their loathing. Perhaps they are making them so bad that no one will go in and they will finally have their excuse to shut them down. AS wants to play with the big dogs (DL, AA, UAL) but they have actually become another Southwest or Jet Blue wannabee.

Last edited by BOB W; Oct 20, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
I was a Bored Room member for over 20 years but gave it up as the rooms got bad. There was also the issue of FOX (not) news being the only thing ever on TV at the ANC lounge and the lounge manager there lying to me more than once. I continued to access the lounges using PP, until that option ended at the end of August. I used the SEA N lounge last night only because our flight was late and I did not have time to go to one of the PP lounges. Plus, I had two lounge passes that expire at the end of the year.

When I asked about the lack of food options with the bartender, I could see that there was sadness and disgust in their eyes, They stated that "AS is continually changing the program and not telling the staff what the program is". They were not happy. I did not want to press it, so I let it drop. There is absolutely nothing that would convince me to rejoin or even pay for a day pass anymore. It is truly tragic how bad these places have become.

I have said that the lounges are treated as the hated, red-headed step child almost since the beginning by Management. Now they are not even trying to hide their loathing. Perhaps they are making them so bad that no one will go in and they will finally have their excuse to shut them down. AS wants to play with the big dogs (DL, AA, UAL) but they have actually become another Southwest or Jet Blue wannabee.

Bob I couldn't agree with you more. I have a friend in the BR eco system and they too express their frustration with management. I repeat SAN is a glaring example of their incompetence to serve their flyers. Then to put all that time and money into NY thumbing their collected noses at the people that made them. One thing about being a MM is I am off that treadmill and "fly direct"

Treavel safe
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I repeat SAN is a glaring example of their incompetence to serve their flyers.
I think you misspelled SFO...

(and PDX, frankly)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I think you misspelled SFO...

(and PDX, frankly)
SAN San Diego never mentioned PDX nor SFO
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:32 pm

I've tried to find an answer to this question, but no luck. Sorry if it answered elsewhere. I have an award flight on Cathay Pacific, using my Alaska miles. It's an award leaving from LAX, with a stopover in Hong Kong and eventually ending in Saigon. Am I allowed to add on an Alaska metal flight from PDX to get myself to LAX - or do I have to purchase a separate ticket, at this time? I thought it was allowed, but the agent on the phone said I would have to purchase a separate ticket. Just thought I'd check with ya'll before I HUCA. TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.