Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:21 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by beckoa

Not just AWACS, but lots of military a/c frequent ANC it seems in the East Corner...
true but there are 2 awacs that havent moved in a good 2 weeks
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Argh...was gonna post some pictures of the Dreamlifter for beckoa et al., but my goram laptop won't pick up the local wireless access point's signal. (It's three years, seven months old and falling apart--beckoa will attest--and when the screen frame split in half in the corner, the AirPort antenna got severed.

Since lotsa computer products are made in Malaysia, maybe I can find a PCMCIA 802.11g (n?) card cheaply here...unfortunately, Apple has the price of their products set the same worldwide, so even though the super-secret Apple laptop manufacturing plant is in Singapore, they're no cheaper there (or here in in Malaysia) than in the States. In fact, I can save $100 over the local prices with my education discount...one final year to use that (hopefully!)...

ANYWAY...back to whatever I was saying...got some great shots of the Dreamlifter which I'll upload to Flickr and post a link to in the eventual future.

On a completely different topic...I can now say I've flown AK, so when the newbies come by here and say they're looking at flying AK, I can now legitimately laugh at them . I'm starting to question the next three flights I have booked on them, though, plus the six more I was planning on but haven't booked yet, given the landing I experienced in LKG yesterday--from about the 10,000-foot mark, I could tell the pilot was coming in hot, and when we approached the runway, there was no flare at all--all three wheels hit simultaneously, and I'm sure the shocks bottomed out. Ouch. My butt was literally sore. (Nice, brand-new A320s, though--their operation looks pretty slick and shiny...just hope their flight training regimen is as thorough as FAA standards make them in the US...though that may not be saying much, either...)

And on one last completely different topic...I wonder if the AWACS that are sitting there near Jewel Lake and International have something to do with the relocation of Kulis Air Guard Base to Elmendorf. Maybe they're closing down some of the buildings over there and need a place to stage some aircraft until they complete the move to Elmendorf.

Oh, P.S....anyone want to do my history webcourse quiz for me? It's due at midnight tonight (Alaska time)...and I haven't even started reading the material...get me a good enough score on the quiz and there may be a trip to Paris in the future for you! (JUST KIDDING...)
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Argh...was gonna post some pictures of the Dreamlifter for beckoa et al., but my goram laptop won't pick up the local wireless access point's signal. (It's three years, seven months old and falling apart--beckoa will attest--and when the screen frame split in half in the corner, the AirPort antenna got severed.

Since lotsa computer products are made in Malaysia, maybe I can find a PCMCIA 802.11g (n?) card cheaply here...unfortunately, Apple has the price of their products set the same worldwide, so even though the super-secret Apple laptop manufacturing plant is in Singapore, they're no cheaper there (or here in in Malaysia) than in the States. In fact, I can save $100 over the local prices with my education discount...one final year to use that (hopefully!)...

ANYWAY...back to whatever I was saying...got some great shots of the Dreamlifter which I'll upload to Flickr and post a link to in the eventual future.

On a completely different topic...I can now say I've flown AK, so when the newbies come by here and say they're looking at flying AK, I can now legitimately laugh at them . I'm starting to question the next three flights I have booked on them, though, plus the six more I was planning on but haven't booked yet, given the landing I experienced in LKG yesterday--from about the 10,000-foot mark, I could tell the pilot was coming in hot, and when we approached the runway, there was no flare at all--all three wheels hit simultaneously, and I'm sure the shocks bottomed out. Ouch. My butt was literally sore. (Nice, brand-new A320s, though--their operation looks pretty slick and shiny...just hope their flight training regimen is as thorough as FAA standards make them in the US...though that may not be saying much, either...)

And on one last completely different topic...I wonder if the AWACS that are sitting there near Jewel Lake and International have something to do with the relocation of Kulis Air Guard Base to Elmendorf. Maybe they're closing down some of the buildings over there and need a place to stage some aircraft until they complete the move to Elmendorf.

Oh, P.S....anyone want to do my history webcourse quiz for me? It's due at midnight tonight (Alaska time)...and I haven't even started reading the material...get me a good enough score on the quiz and there may be a trip to Paris in the future for you! (JUST KIDDING...)
Did you get it done... got off work late tonight-but can help now

I am surprised you brought that computer with you on your trip... you've got the iphone... well- guess your giving it a great last-hurrah. I do have a 802.11 g USB adapter @ my house- probably could figure out a way to make it work on a Mac... but not sure-

Bout time you switched to PC's anyway

Good luck on the rest of your flights with AK & NokAir, and lets see that flightmemory updated!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you get it done... got off work late tonight-but can help now

I am surprised you brought that computer with you on your trip... you've got the iphone... well- guess your giving it a great last-hurrah. I do have a 802.11 g USB adapter @ my house- probably could figure out a way to make it work on a Mac... but not sure-

Bout time you switched to PC's anyway

Good luck on the rest of your flights with AK & NokAir, and lets see that flightmemory updated!
Ugh...bought a USB 802.11g adapter from an electronics shop here. Obviously made in Asia (a surprising number of electronics sold in Singapore are imported from the US and correspondingly are more expensive than you can find online!) and I'm in a duty-free area of Malaysia (mmm...good German chocolates like Ritter Sport's Yoghurt flavor for 1/4 what they are in ANC!)...yet it still cost me $50! And that was after bargaining with the guy! (He then added a 2.5% charge for using a credit card...can't really dispute that with the card company as the total price still came out to less than it was marked at...but retailers here do a lot of surcharges for cards and minimum purchase amounts, both of which are verboten by the credit card associations...)

Oh well...at least now I have FT!

iPhone is convenient, but honestly, it's not a replacement for a full computer. No way I could have taken that quiz on the iPhone! (Actually, I probably could have, since there isn't anything on BlackBoard that requires Flash or Java, but it would have been a lot of squinting and scrolling...got a 27/30 on it, btw...)

All right...Flickr pics will have to wait another day or so, as I have a flight that departs in 8 hours, 11 minutes and I still have yet to go to bed! (Posting at 1:24am local time...) Besides, 'Net here is pretty slow...about 512/128, maybe...where are all these 100mbps connections for $5 per month I hear about that are all over Asia?

(FlightMemory will get updated around the same time...hotel I just booked in BKK does have free wifi, so I'll be able to use my shiny new adapter and fix both Flickr and FlightMemory...)
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Friday dinner

MCRT is coming to town on Sept. 26. We are meeting up for dinner anyone want to join us?

Sounds like fun^
Anyone else interested? Any thoughts on where?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
MCRT is coming to town on Sept. 26. We are meeting up for dinner anyone want to join us?

The 26th is Friday...great- the one night this year my family is going to an event- 6-10 PM

Saturday I am available after 6:30 PM... (so far) but didn't realize the 26th was Friday... How long is MCRT in town?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W

I'm interested, just not available!

(Unlike beckoa, I have a valid reason for not attending... )

Just FYI, I also have said dinner listed under the Consolidated ANC Meet-Up Thread. I will attempt to keep that thread updated with news posted here and there whilst gallavanting around the wrong side of the world.

(Ahh...just had a delightful hour-long traditional Thai massage...and paid all of $8 for it! Even cheaper ones will be had tomorrow in Chiang Mai! )
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:17 pm

Just FYI, I also have said dinner listed under the Consolidated ANC Meet-Up Thread. I will attempt to keep that thread updated with news posted here and there whilst gallavanting around the wrong side of the world.

(Ahh...just had a delightful hour-long traditional Thai massage...and paid all of $8 for it! Even cheaper ones will be had tomorrow in Chiang Mai! )
If you were truly dedicated to ANC Do's you'd fly from BKK to ANC via TPE!

Glad to hear you are spending your PFD well...

For location of ANC Do's - Costco has the gift certificate packs in... $80 for $100 worth... for Orso/Glacier Brewhouse and Simon & Seaforts
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you were truly dedicated to ANC Do's you'd fly from BKK to ANC via TPE!

Glad to hear you are spending your PFD well...

For location of ANC Do's - Costco has the gift certificate packs in... $80 for $100 worth... for Orso/Glacier Brewhouse and Simon & Seaforts
My PFD is going quite far in Thailand: a double room with air conditioning and en-suite bathroom in the Rendezvous Guest House is all of 500 baht per night. Four nights here is less than one Costco gift card to Orso!

(I did notice you guys stocked those literally the day before I left ANC...those are the best deals going!)

Anyone know of cheap places to stay in Oz? I doubt we'll find anything this cheap (even hostels there are probably double, triple, or even quadruple this for a single bed, depending on the city)...pooch mentioned to me a chain of cheap (Motel 6-style, from what I gather) accommodations across the country...will have to look into those...
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:41 pm

Would like to congratulate missydarlin for making an appearance in the FT Talkmail Email today!

One of the great benefits of having lurkers who work for the airlines and hotels participate on FlyerTalk is that they can often assist with the occasional oddball travel snafu. What happens though when the same oddball travel snafu snags the lurker too?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869019
For the following:

Originally Posted by missydarlin
It even happened to me today!

I was flying on company business, checked in the night before and had my seat assignment... then somehow ended up with no seat... on a flight that was maybe 30% full.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would like to congratulate missydarlin for making an appearance in the FT Talkmail Email today!
Er, except I'd hardly call her a lurker. She does, after all, moderate one of the cooler (but as yet virtually undiscovered by me!) fora on FT, and she is one of the more frequent posters in the AS forum.

As Nobbi said in response to johnp012001 in the above-mentioned thread: "HERE, HERE!!!!! ^^"

(Though I'm not quite sure what the was about... )
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
Hey jackal are you lurking around?If so checkout question in AK social group.
Thanks akdude
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akdude
Hey jackal are you lurking around?If so checkout question in AK social group.
Thanks akdude
And see my response there!

Admins need to patch the forum software to make postings in social groups show up in the MyFlyerTalk page...otherwise it's too easy to forget and not check it!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
Thanks jackal;
Enjoy Cambodia,I know I do.Been going there 6yrs. now,ever since Thailand got expensive and the $ dumped against the B.
It really reminds me of Thailand 20yrs. ago.
akdude
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:53 pm

I think that jackal has a pretty dang good excuse. I would love to be back in Chang Mai for a massage. One of these days... There is a temple in downtown Bangkok that has a massage school. Great cheap massages there.

I'm still looking forward to hearing the when and where for the meet up. 6:30-7:00 works great for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.