Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Played by the rules and almost lost my seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Played by the rules and almost lost my seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, recovering former United 1k
Exclamation Played by the rules and almost lost my seat

I checked in for my OME-ANC-SEA-DEN flight Friday morning and printed my boarding pass. Everything went well until I tried to board in SEA (Saturday morning) where the boarding agent redirected me to the gate counter. Turns out my seat was moments away from being given away - she had already printed the ticket for the other passenger. The agent asked me if I had checked in and of course I had. Her comment was something to the effect that segments that fall toward the end of the 24 hour window after checking in sometimes have this problem. Well, I checked in about 20 hours before the SEA departure. This sounds like a problem to me and should I now check in on each segment just in case they're about to give my seat away?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Hopefully, missy can direct this issue to the right person within AS. There is no way that they should have been giving your seat away. You were checked in. PERIOD.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 4:04 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
if you can PM me the flight info, I can see what might have happened behind the scenes... but thats odd.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:44 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Ive actually seen this before. The GA has to override something in the boarding computer to get these types of persons scanned and boarded on the load manifest. And I once saw a trainee doing this and the trainer said you have to over ride this one because his departure was over 24 hours ago...so something obviously is different with these types of reservations
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:28 am

It even happened to me today!

I was flying on company business, checked in the night before and had my seat assignment... then somehow ended up with no seat... on a flight that was maybe 30% full.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Interesting--my experience with a similar problem also involved DEN...

My problem wasn't exactly the same, though, since I didn't do OLCI and so the 24-hour window thing never came into play. I checked in in DEN for DEN-PDX-ANC, and the agent printed my boarding pass with both flights (DEN-PDX and PDX-ANC), confirming my upgrade on both flights.

I showed up in PDX, went over for coffee, and went to board the plane 26 minutes before departure. My seat in F had been given away, since I was not showing as checked in.

At least I only got bumped to Y and not off the flight completely!

Ever since then, I've always made it a point to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure (and not a moment more...unless I'm with certain other FTers who like to lounge in BRs until the last possible second and can't get their butts moving to the gate in a timely fashion! )
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Ygm

Missy, YGM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Sounds like AS is having a check-in systems glitch. Somebody made a programming change in SABRE that had an unintended side effect.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:04 pm

no glitch... at least not for my issue. Turned out to be an agent error. Instead of processing my waitlist request, he unseated me.

Unfortunately, worldminers flights had purged before I (with the help of ASTechGuy) could do any research.

So if this happens to anyone else..please PM me the info on the day it happens.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
no glitch... at least not for my issue. Turned out to be an agent error. Instead of processing my waitlist request, he unseated me.

Unfortunately, worldminers flights had purged before I (with the help of ASTechGuy) could do any research.

So if this happens to anyone else..please PM me the info on the day it happens.
Missy, thank you again for being such a great resource. I can't tell you how many times (both as an internal and external client) I have tried to get people to understand things aren't working as intended. Unfortunately, most of the time the people we can reach don't understand the issue, much less the need to escalate it. This forum, and the participation of missy and astechguy and others allow those issues to get the escalation that we could NEVER get thorugh normal channels. Thanks again!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Missy, thank you again for being such a great resource. I can't tell you how many times (both as an internal and external client) I have tried to get people to understand things aren't working as intended. Unfortunately, most of the time the people we can reach don't understand the issue, much less the need to escalate it. This forum, and the participation of missy and astechguy and others allow those issues to get the escalation that we could NEVER get thorugh normal channels. Thanks again!
HERE, HERE!!!!! ^^
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:52 am
Original Poster

It's reassuring to know that Alaska comprehends the value of our observations, compliments and grips.

Missydarlin, if I have to lose my seat to anyone, I hope its you!:-:

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.