Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Trying to rejoin the internet - done with college for the summer and have been without reliable internet access since then. Been in SAN and the East Coast during the past two weeks, and wish AS had wireless already!!!

Internet (Dial up) is down at my house, and so my sporatic attempts at using the world wide web are cortousey of the wireless signal the Libraries send out. Am sitting in the Chugiak-Eagle River branch right now typing away, trying to catch up with FT... up to May 14 now... I guess I can be thankful that I don't follow some of the crazier forums with hundreds of posts a week...

So I just got back from my NYC/DC trip and some Cheerwine did survive. Had to make a special trip by the Dulles Air & Space Museum (Which is too cool!!!) and 11/11 bottles and 23/24 cans of Cheerwine survived! (Not too bad considering my return routing DCA-LAX-SEA-ANC).

So beckoa is back for the summer, and working on UG'ing his internet... starting with getting dial-up working on his laptops again. I deleted the software for the modem thinking I'd never use it again... so I downloaded some new today... ugh!

<rant off>
Old May 16, 2008, 10:45 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Trying to rejoin the internet - done with college for the summer and have been without reliable internet access since then. Been in SAN and the East Coast during the past two weeks, and wish AS had wireless already!!!

Internet (Dial up) is down at my house, and so my sporatic attempts at using the world wide web are cortousey of the wireless signal the Libraries send out. Am sitting in the Chugiak-Eagle River branch right now typing away, trying to catch up with FT... up to May 14 now... I guess I can be thankful that I don't follow some of the crazier forums with hundreds of posts a week...

So I just got back from my NYC/DC trip and some Cheerwine did survive. Had to make a special trip by the Dulles Air & Space Museum (Which is too cool!!!) and 11/11 bottles and 23/24 cans of Cheerwine survived! (Not too bad considering my return routing DCA-LAX-SEA-ANC).

So beckoa is back for the summer, and working on UG'ing his internet... starting with getting dial-up working on his laptops again. I deleted the software for the modem thinking I'd never use it again... so I downloaded some new today... ugh!

<rant off>
Welcome back!

And dial up sucks. When our second phone line bit the dust (hardcore bit the dust...the phone company was like, "Uhh, yeah. No. We're not fixing it unless you want to pay in the hundreds."), we upgraded to DSL with wireless.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I guess that's what you get for living in Eagle River...do you even have electricity up at your place?

Funny...I have better internet in Moab, UT than you do at home. Not looking forward to going back home and having to go back to work (vacations are always more fun), but I am looking forward to sampling some Cheerwine! At least I only have to be home for four days before going to CA for Memorial Day Weekend...

...Oh, and no one answered my question about Amtrak Cascades! I know you're out there...c'mon...maybe these super-duper AS MVPG-soon-to-be-MVPP flyers just don't want to admit to using it...
Old May 20, 2008, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
Welcome back!

And dial up sucks. When our second phone line bit the dust (hardcore bit the dust...the phone company was like, "Uhh, yeah. No. We're not fixing it unless you want to pay in the hundreds."), we upgraded to DSL with wireless.
Thanks-

And a belated congrads on your recent FT fame... I at least saw that in my email when I downloaded that a while ago!

Originally Posted by jackal
I guess that's what you get for living in Eagle River...do you even have electricity up at your place?

Funny...I have better internet in Moab, UT than you do at home. Not looking forward to going back home and having to go back to work (vacations are always more fun), but I am looking forward to sampling some Cheerwine! At least I only have to be home for four days before going to CA for Memorial Day Weekend...

...Oh, and no one answered my question about Amtrak Cascades! I know you're out there...c'mon...maybe these super-duper AS MVPG-soon-to-be-MVPP flyers just don't want to admit to using it...
It is really getting old w/ no internet - living at the library and now outside a friends house (listening to a jet fly overhead) leeching off their wireless...

The Cheerwine is good, abit disappearing... my dad found my diet Cheerwine stash... but will have a little left to sample at least.

As for the Cascades... I'd prefer QX anyday... my recent AMTRAK adventure wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be... granted it was regional service stopping every few states, but still... noisier then an airplane, even with QC2's...

And the AS burger is better then AMTRAK's!
Old May 23, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The soup in the Alaska Lounge today is Cheddar Broccoli and rather tasty.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:15 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks-

And a belated congrads on your recent FT fame... I at least saw that in my email when I downloaded that a while ago!
Thanks!

It was a total surprise for me!
Old May 24, 2008, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just met PVDProf at the ANC airport on his way back home to PVD. Make sure you all look at the Consolidated ANC Meet-Up Thread listed in my signature and see if you can meet up with your fellow FTers!
Old May 25, 2008, 11:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Looking for an invite

Will be departing ANC about 4:44 on CO tomorrow, Mem Day, May 26th.

Would appreciate an invite to BoardRoom anywhere from Noon on.

Any FTers going to be in there and have room for 1 guest?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:49 pm

I'm flying PDX-LAX on Sat, 6/7. I already have a boardroom pass, but would be happy to meet up with anyone else flying that day.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'ello!

Someone needs to dredge this thread up from under the mire...might as well be me! (It really deserves to be stickied so people remember that it exists!)

OK, so I've had a great time meeting all sorts of folks who normally frequent the UA forum, courtesy of the cheap East Coast-ANC UA fare. (A couple of AAers have also joined in the fun, as AA seems to have matched the fare and also the Double EQM promotion!)

But there's lots of AS FTers that have yet to meet...including some from my own hometown!

It's always fun to meet up with visitors, but maybe we should plan something just for us ANCers (or, more properly, ANCites).

So see the thread linked in my signature and let me know if you guys want to get together! (Plus, I think beckoa still owes me a can of Cheerwine...)

And I hope to meet some of the folks who post around here at SEA DO! Make sure to come if you can!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I think beckoa still owes me a can of Cheerwine...)!
Cheerwine..that's what I was trying to remember last night at the Upper One
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:01 pm

'ello!

Someone needs to dredge this thread up from under the mire...might as well be me! (It really deserves to be stickied so people remember that it exists!)

OK, so I've had a great time meeting all sorts of folks who normally frequent the UA forum, courtesy of the cheap East Coast-ANC UA fare. (A couple of AAers have also joined in the fun, as AA seems to have matched the fare and also the Double EQM promotion!)

But there's lots of AS FTers that have yet to meet...including some from my own hometown!

It's always fun to meet up with visitors, but maybe we should plan something just for us ANCers (or, more properly, ANCites).

So see the thread linked in my signature and let me know if you guys want to get together! (Plus, I think beckoa still owes me a can of Cheerwine...)

And I hope to meet some of the folks who post around here at SEA DO! Make sure to come if you can!
Originally Posted by BOB W
Cheerwine..that's what I was trying to remember last night at the Upper One
Still have some left - both diet and sugar... and I am getting internet this week from MTA!!! (So I can access FT at home instead of the Anchorage/Eagle River Libraries and UAA campuses- at University Center now...)

So hopefully soon I can share a little of the bounty... once the internet is installed in the next few days so I can stay current with the ANC FT 'do's'
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally re-met beckoa--turns out he was at the Solstice Do at Casa de Bob W last year. (Bob, you sure that wasn't two years ago? )

I've been following the "Never fly Alaska Airlines with a child!" thread. Interesting. It appears to have been started somewhere else (TravelBuzz, maybe?) and moved here, so I suspect that many of the people following it are not AS forum regulars and are keeping updated on it via MyFlyerTalk subscriptions, so they're not really in tune with the atmosphere over here on our board--it reads more like many of the threads on more active forums, like UA or AA.

It's been interesting and encouraging to see more active posting and vigorous debate, but with that has come some of the mild animosity and ever-so-slightly personal attacks that tend to be promulgated on these other fora--nothing violating the ToS or anything, but it just seems so out-of-character for us mild-mannered West Coast AS flyers!

So, I thought I'd ask and take a little informal poll: do you guys (AS forum regulars, although it's open to comment by everyone) prefer the lower-activity, friendly atmosphere that more or less predominates the AS forum or the higher-activity, adversarial, argumentative style that seems to predominate on the larger forums?

One thing about the argumentative style: you definitely get to know people better (by way of their opinions). Sometimes I feel like I don't really know many people here (which might explain why I've been so active trying to get the ANC residents together and meet as many people as possible!). On the other hand, I don't like making "enemies," and if we do cross paths someday, I don't want to feel any animosity towards you because of an argument we had on FT!

What say you?

Last edited by jackal; Jun 10, 2008 at 6:43 am Reason: minor grammar goof
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Finally re-met beckoa--turns out he was at the Solstice Do at Casa de Bob W last year. (Bob, you sure that wasn't two years ago? )

I've been following the "Never fly Alaska Airlines with a child!" thread. Interesting. It appears to have been started somewhere else (TravelBuzz, maybe?) and moved here, so I suspect that many of the people following it are not AS forum regulars and are keeping updated on it via MyFlyerTalk subscriptions, so they're not really in tune with the atmosphere over here on our board--it reads more like many of the threads on more active forums, like UA or AA.

It's been interesting and encouraging to see more active posting and vigorous debate, but with that has come some of the mild animosity and ever-so-slightly personal attacks that tend to be promulgated on these other fora--nothing violating the ToS or anything, but it just seems so out-of-character for us mild-mannered West Coast AS flyers!

So, I thought I'd ask and take a little informal poll: do you guys (AS forum regulars, although it's open to comment by everyone) prefer the lower-activity, friendly atmosphere that more or less predominates the AS forum or the higher-activity, adversarial, argumentative style that seems to predominate on the larger forums?

One thing about the argumentative style: you definitely get to know people better (by way of their opinions). Sometimes I feel like I don't really know many people here (which might explain why I've been so active trying to get the ANC residents together and meet as many people as possible!). On the other hand, I don't like making "enemies," and if we do cross paths someday, I don't want to feel any animosity towards you because of an argument we had on FT!

What say you?
I'm enjoying the thread and really hope they don't shut it down. The risk analysis/economics discussion in the past 24 hours has been really good in pointing out the irrationality of others and their inability to accurately assess risk (ie you really are putting a dollar value on someone's life with various decisions albeit subconsciously)

In most threads such discussions never happen here... for better or for worse.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brarrr
I'm enjoying the thread and really hope they don't shut it down. The risk analysis/economics discussion in the past 24 hours has been really good in pointing out the irrationality of others and their inability to accurately assess risk (ie you really are putting a dollar value on someone's life with various decisions albeit subconsciously)

In most threads such discussions never happen here... for better or for worse.
Very true--I never even thought about the economics of risk analysis before reading that thread. I'll probably still drive six minutes to the grocery store instead of three minutes to the convenience store to save $2 on milk, but every time I do so now, I'll be thinking, "Hmm--is my life worth more than $2?"

See, I said that when vigorous debate like this happens, we get to know each other--and ourselves--better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.