Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Don't flame me for this question 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 will we see a return of polenta?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:13 pm

How Does American Prioritize Upgrades?

MVP 100k here, about to take my first flights on American next week. I assume the following regarding upgrades, can anyone tell me if incorrect?:

1) American does not rank 100k over 75k, to them both levels are mixed together/the same on the upgrade list
2) The American ranking is similar to Alaska: Fare class, date booked, etc.
3) The soonest I’d see an upgrade at my level is 72 hours out.

Thanks for setting me correct if any of the above are not accurate!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
In December I suffered the misfortune of flying on an AA fight on a Basic economy ticket with the fare code "B." I did not earn any miles. Now, I am sad to report that a provider I am working with booked me another basic economy flight on AA. I am saddened I won't get to enjoy free drinks in MCE but mostly bummed because every mile counts when it comes to maintaining my status. On the AS/AA earning chart below it appears that B fares should earn 25 percent. That might not sound like much, but with the 500 mile minimum, the segments add up. Has anyone had success getting AS to honor their own chart and grant miles for AA B fares? https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
Last year I purchased AA B fares for a trip (technically flew on C fares since I upgraded at check-in), and as MVP was not able to get into MCE at check-in. I did not earn any mileage, but it looks like if you have the AA ticket number you can request mileage credit here. I am actually trying that now; I asked AA for help on Twitter to find my ticket number.

-J.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Last year I purchased AA B fares for a trip (technically flew on C fares since I upgraded at check-in), and as MVP was not able to get into MCE at check-in. I did not earn any mileage, but it looks like if you have the AA ticket number you can request mileage credit here. I am actually trying that now; I asked AA for help on Twitter to find my ticket number.

-J.
I wonder how they've been getting away with not granting mileage when it's right there on their own chart. It's very irritating! I requested the missing mileage credit, too. I'll update when I get a response.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by remyjette
What day are you searching?

For example, on 2023-05-31 I see SEA-LAX-SCL where the SEA-LAX leg is AS 1144 departing 11:20am arriving 2:05pm, then the LAX-SCL leg is LATAM 603 leaving at 5pm. A perfectly reasonable itinerary.

My guess would be that there is no T space available on the Alaska flight you want. T (saver award) space must be available to attach it to an itinerary on a partner airline.
Got it, that was the issue. I didn’t know to look for T space. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to travel to Chile just after Christmas 2023 through early January 2024. Obviously I'd like to fly J award space since it's a long-haul overnight flight, but my travel dates are not really flexible. Departing sometime 12/26/23 onward and returning on/before 1/6/24.

I will originate in RIC, but can also travel by car to WAS airports or ORF (which will present just as limited options as RIC). What suggestions do you have for making this possible? Since I've only got miles in AA and Alaska, is Alaska the best route as it gets me access to LATAM awards?

I'm open to booking an early morning flight from RIC to MIA (arrive 930) or DFW via AA. While it'll be on a separate ticket, most of the flights to SCL appear to depart the US in the evening so that leaves me enough cushion for anything short of a cancellation. Plus, I'd have a large number of hours to hang out in the lounge so it could be worse, I guess. The award redemption I'm seeing on AA for J seats is outrageous (150k each way is crazy)

Would I be better off monitoring Premium Economy on AA and just rolling with the 30-40k each way tickets that I'm have been seeing for early to mid-December going RIC-DFW-SCL. Should I expect J award availability on LATAM via Alaska during the holiday season? All I'm currently seeing is MIA - LIM - SCL or MIA - BOG - SCL with the 2nd one being 'subject to government approval'.

Last edited by wahoo09; Jan 20, 2023 at 9:02 am
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:15 am

For those that have flown on the E175 before... which seats would you suggest for a non-status member in Main to actually have a window that you can look out of? Seems the E175 windows are horribly mis-aligned.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:52 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Denguin
For those that have flown on the E175 before... which seats would you suggest for a non-status member in Main to actually have a window that you can look out of? Seems the E175 windows are horribly mis-aligned.
https://www.aerolopa.com/as-embraer-175 has a pretty accurate diagram of where the windows are relative to the seats. If you have no status, then you'll want to be in the back of the plane in row 20 or 21 for a more accurately aligned window
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
If you take the recent AS fast track challenge do you get the level you are challenging for immediately and then lose if you do not fly the 20K MVP75 or fly at your same level but if you complete the challenge you are bumped up then for the rest of the year?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by tobikosan
If you take the recent AS fast track challenge do you get the level you are challenging for immediately and then lose if you do not fly the 20K MVP75 or fly at your same level but if you complete the challenge you are bumped up then for the rest of the year?
if you take the recent AS challenge, as per Oops email, you would get level you were last year at completion of challenge.
Good through 2023. You need to earn through 2023 for status level for 2024.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Hoping someone can answer this. Extended layover in PDX next weekend, 6+ hours. Can I check a bag at my original departure location or will I need to carry my carry on all around Portland before my flight home since they don't have a luggage storage solution?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by cragAK
Hoping someone can answer this. Extended layover in PDX next weekend, 6+ hours. Can I check a bag at my original departure location or will I need to carry my carry on all around Portland before my flight home since they don't have a luggage storage solution?
From https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags :

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 18 hours between flights. If you will be in the connecting city for 18 hours or longer, you will need to claim and re-check your baggage. Additional baggage fees may apply.
So yep, you can absolutely check it at your original location and it will be checked to your final destination unless you ask otherwise (or if the first leg is international, in which case you'd have to reclaim your bag but could immediately check it after clearing customs)
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:29 am

my alaska companion fare code expires in 2 weeks, can i book a flight within the next 2 weeks for travel after the expiration date? i probably won't travel in the next 2 weeks so i was wondering if I can book today the companion fare for travel in June? also, wondering what happens if in May I decide to cancel the June trip? I assume I would loose the companion code and I cannot reschedule?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by odom4president
my alaska companion fare code expires in 2 weeks, can i book a flight within the next 2 weeks for travel after the expiration date? i probably won't travel in the next 2 weeks so i was wondering if I can book today the companion fare for travel in June? also, wondering what happens if in May I decide to cancel the June trip? I assume I would loose the companion code and I cannot reschedule?
Yes, you can use it now for travel after the expiration date.

If you realize you cannot travel, you should be able to change the flight to a different itinerary and keep the companion pass applied. If you just cancel it, then you'd get a refund to your wallet for the fare paid and the companion code would be forfeited.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by remyjette
From https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags :

So yep, you can absolutely check it at your original location and it will be checked to your final destination unless you ask otherwise (or if the first leg is international, in which case you'd have to reclaim your bag but could immediately check it after clearing customs)
Awesome, it's just JFK-PDX-ANC. Was only concerned because last time I flew that route they wouldn't take my bag in Portland until four hours before the flight, but that was trying to check it midway since there was no bag storage instead of checking it in New York.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.