Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
At SFO. Flight delayed 2.5 hours. Got a food voucher sent via email. Is this normal for this length of delay? Luckily my same day return is on the same plane so won’t be stuck in BOS.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by macmedic;[url=tel:35048939
35048939[/url]]At SFO. Flight delayed 2.5 hours. Got a food voucher sent via email. Is this normal for this length of delay? Luckily my same day return is on the same plane so won’t be stuck in BOS.
Expect a “we are sorry” email too. The reports of reasonable (or at all) delay compensation have dwindle.

As for the food vouchers, I saw someone posted elsewhere a trick about using or depositing them into their Starbucks account for future coffee purchases.

Let us know how it turns out! 🤙🏻🍹
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Not complaining as AS has treated me well. 500 miles for a drink dropped on my shoe. Two $250 vouchers for helping a passenger with a medical complaint (I’m a paramedic). Compare that to the box of cookies I got for doing cpr for 1.5 hours on a HA flight to HNL :-).
Originally Posted by anteater
Expect a “we are sorry” email too. The reports of reasonable (or at all) delay compensation have dwindle.

As for the food vouchers, I saw someone posted elsewhere a trick about using or depositing them into their Starbucks account for future coffee purchases.

Let us know how it turns out! 🤙🏻🍹
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by macmedic;[url=tel:35049282
35049282[/url]]Not complaining as AS has treated me well. 500 miles for a drink dropped on my shoe. Two $250 vouchers for helping a passenger with a medical complaint (I’m a paramedic). Compare that to the box of cookies I got for doing cpr for 1.5 hours on a HA flight to HNL :-).
Thank you for your service. If you’re ever around anteater, enjoy a drink on me. 🤙🏻🍹
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:34 am

Flew a couple LATAM flights and was wondering how long those take to credit to an Alaska account? It has been more than two weeks since the first and I'm wondering whether or not it's worthwhile to prepare some request for credit emails, or if I'm just being too impatient, thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
Flew a couple LATAM flights and was wondering how long those take to credit to an Alaska account? It has been more than two weeks since the first and I'm wondering whether or not it's worthwhile to prepare some request for credit emails, or if I'm just being too impatient, thanks!
The form on the site says it will take 30-60 days but it's been my experience that if they don't show up within a couple weeks they aren't going to but that is mainly with domestic with AA flight using my AS #.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: *void
I can find Alaska award flight segments but I can't use them because they are on different days. Can I book one segment first, on the date that I want to actually fly, and then wait for the other award segment to appear (even though the other first segment is no longer available), then call Alaska to grab the new award and staple it to my existing other award segment?

Eg,
A-B-C is not available on the date I want, but on other dates it is 50K + $55
A-B is not available on the date I want, but on other dates it is 50K + $50
B-C is available on my preferred date, at 22.5K + $30

I would like to book B-C now, while available.

If A-B becomes available in the future, but the B-C award is no longer there, can I call Alaska to ask them to add A-B to the existing B-C segment. Are they able to do this without losing the original B-C sgement (other airlines programs have told me that they would have to cancel it and hope it reappears as award inventory).

I've read that there are no longer any change/cancellation fees on award bookings, which is a nice benefit and prompting me to try the above.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I can find Alaska award flight segments but I can't use them because they are on different days. Can I book one segment first, on the date that I want to actually fly, and then wait for the other award segment to appear (even though the other first segment is no longer available), then call Alaska to grab the new award and staple it to my existing other award segment?

Eg,
A-B-C is not available on the date I want, but on other dates it is 50K + $55
A-B is not available on the date I want, but on other dates it is 50K + $50
B-C is available on my preferred date, at 22.5K + $30

I would like to book B-C now, while available.

If A-B becomes available in the future, but the B-C award is no longer there, can I call Alaska to ask them to add A-B to the existing B-C segment. Are they able to do this without losing the original B-C sgement (other airlines programs have told me that they would have to cancel it and hope it reappears as award inventory).

I've read that there are no longer any change/cancellation fees on award bookings, which is a nice benefit and prompting me to try the above.
If this is a partner + Alaska award booking, then yes, you can call, and they can add on the additional segments that you want as long as it is a legal award routing. You need E (first) or T (economy) fare class space to be available to combine with a partner booking. Some agents are more knowledgable about how to do this than others though, so you might need to HUCA if you get someone who doesn't know how.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by snsec
Is this is a partner + Alaska award booking, then yes, you can call, and they can add on the additional segments that you want as long as it is a legal award routing. Some agents are more knowledgable about how to do this than others though, so you might need to HUCA if you get someone that doesn't know how.
Actually, both segments are the same partner awards. Thus I can find A-B-C on other dates, but not on the date/month that I want to travel. Does this change things?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Actually, both segments are the same partner awards. Thus I can find A-B-C on other dates, but not on the date/month that I want to travel. Does this change things?
Nope, doesn't change things. If the award space opens up then you should be able to have it added by calling or using the online change function if it is available for your reservation.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by snsec
Nope, doesn't change things. If the award space opens up then you should be able to have it added by calling or using the online change function if it is available for your reservation.
Thank you for taking time to respond and educate!

I've booked the available segment now. I do see an option to "Change reservation" when I view the Trip at the browser site (but not in the mobile app?). If I ever get this to work I will report back. Thanks again!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thank you for taking time to respond and educate!

I've booked the available segment now. I do see an option to "Change reservation" when I view the Trip at the browser site (but not in the mobile app?). If I ever get this to work I will report back. Thanks again!
You can also change your itinerary, revenue or award, via the APP. When looking at your reservations, touch the 3 vertical dots on the top right of the itinerary. Change reservation & Cancel reservation are options.

James
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to all this, but wanted to start trying my hand at getting more miles. I'm in Seattle, and Alaska seems like a good option for where I fly to most often (SFO/SJC, Alaska, and some other places). I have some (probably newbie?) questions that I couldn't figure out googling around.

Do you get more miles for taking main vs saver? Similarly, do you get more miles for first class vs saver/main? I don't see it described anywhere, so I figure the answer is no.

I also have the same question regarding partner airlines: are there bonuses for taking partners and booking through Alaska? I'm a bit new to how all this works, so instead of writing a whole long answer, feel free to link me to other places that describe it. I may have follow up questions.

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by devine.sparkles
Hi all,

I'm a bit new to all this, but wanted to start trying my hand at getting more miles. I'm in Seattle, and Alaska seems like a good option for where I fly to most often (SFO/SJC, Alaska, and some other places). I have some (probably newbie?) questions that I couldn't figure out googling around.

Do you get more miles for taking main vs saver? Similarly, do you get more miles for first class vs saver/main? I don't see it described anywhere, so I figure the answer is no.

I also have the same question regarding partner airlines: are there bonuses for taking partners and booking through Alaska? I'm a bit new to how all this works, so instead of writing a whole long answer, feel free to link me to other places that describe it. I may have follow up questions.

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help!

Even more important for earning than cabin is "fare code", but they correlate generally with the cabin. See the chart here for earnings: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

"X" corresponds to saver. There's other charts outlining earning rates for each of their partners, too.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:53 pm

Do other people always book their round trips as two one-ways?

I usually do that, with my logic being that if for some reason I miss the first leg, they're not going to cancel the second leg, and at least then I'll only have to pay for one alternative flight instead of both outbound and return flights.

I also had another thought about this recently, but I'm not sure if my logic is sound.

If outbound was $200 and inbound was $200 for a total of $400, but then the outbound went down to $100, and the inbound went up to $300, it would still be a total of $400, but I'm thinking if you had booked them as one ways you'd be able to cancel and rebook the leg with the price drop and leave the one with the price increase locked. But if you booked it as a round trip you wouldn't be able to achieve any savings, since the total stayed the same. Does that make sense?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.