Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by pointsrunner
Is it possible to apply AS mvp 100k upgrade cert and still get loyalty points? Instructions say mvp number has to applied to reservation. I have a ticket booked in J with AA ff number. I am a mvp 100k transitioning to AA EXP this year. Would prefer to earn 11x AA LP for the J tickets instead of distance based AS miles (which is almost 60% less). Planning to apply upgrade certs for J to F on AA metal for JFK-LHR. Any idea of success rate?
Last year my flights posted miles on AA not AS even after the upgrade. Not sure if thats intended but Im guessing AS would prefer that since they dont have to give out miles :-)
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 100k, Hyatt Globalist, Hhonors Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Thanks for sharing datapoint olouie. Were those milage based or spend based? Any idea how they had you AA FF number for this to happen?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by pointsrunner
Thanks for sharing datapoint olouie. Were those milage based or spend based? Any idea how they had you AA FF number for this to happen?
It was spend based. I booked flight on AA and had my FFN on there from the booking. When I called they applied the upgrade but I think it looks like an SWU to them so just kept my AA number intact I guess.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Possible to Reinstate unused 2022 AA UG Certs from AS?

When I received my UG email as a result of AS joining One World, in June, 2022, I booked a RT flight to DUB for April, 2023. When I called AA's special number with my "special" code, to inform them, they said I was on the UG list...I continued to call between June and February and was always told I was still on the UG list and the UG hadn't yet cleared.

When I wanted to cancel the flight in February, 2023 and book a different flight and apply the 2 UG certs, I was told the UG Certs (2, as I was 100K in 2022) were no longer valid and/or "in the system".

Is there any way to get these 2022 UG Certs reissued by AA or AS or am I SOL? I have a trip planned to ICN in November and would love to UG on those long flights from DFW.

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: Nectar Card
How do flights with the certificates applied, tend to credit? My assumption is that technically they credit based on original fare class. But in practice, has anyone received anything else? I've been experiencing inconsistent results. (I searched this 2023 thread and the 2022 thread and couldn't find any relevant experiences.)
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
How do flights with the certificates applied, tend to credit? My assumption is that technically they credit based on original fare class. But in practice, has anyone received anything else? I've been experiencing inconsistent results. (I searched this 2023 thread and the 2022 thread and couldn't find any relevant experiences.)
based on fare class you booked, so book wisely
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I had 2 flights in the spring, booked in premium (purposely did this so I would earn 100% EQM) and used SWUs. The first flight posted correctly (100% EQM) the return flight did not - I think that's because I had to make a change and ended up booking into a higher fare class. Took some time and calls but Alaska corrected it after a few weeks. Just save your receipts and emails from AA that show the original booking class so you can get credit despite using the SWU.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ssk244
I had 2 flights in the spring, booked in premium (purposely did this so I would earn 100% EQM) and used SWUs. The first flight posted correctly (100% EQM) the return flight did not - I think that's because I had to make a change and ended up booking into a higher fare class. Took some time and calls but Alaska corrected it after a few weeks. Just save your receipts and emails from AA that show the original booking class so you can get credit despite using the SWU.
What higher fare class did the change book into? On AA there are only 2 Premium Economy fare classes, P & full-fare W. Fare class W earns an additional 10% COS bonus. Whatever fare class you flew is what should post to Mileage Plan regardless of SWU application or not.

Sometimes, a change, especially if closer to departure, will book into the "cabin" J, W or Y.

Were there any domestic connecting flight? An SWU will upgrade up to three segments. In conjunction with an international Premium Economy fare, the Main cabin fare class on the connecting flight generally books into fare classes H, K, L, M or Y, all of which earn 100% EQM in Mileage Plan.

If your higher fare class was indeed W, make sure you earned the 10% EQM.

I haven't had any issues with miles posting even when an AA marketed BA flight was upgraded into U class on the BA Prime. The underlying fare class, P, mapped to BA T. The difference was that the accrual came from BA so it took about a week to post.

James
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Aa ug certs

I agree that even if the UG is given, the mileage will be based upon the class of service originally booked on AA,
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
If I just qualified for MVP 75k this week (July '23), will I not receive the AA upgrade cert until next April ('24)?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by Paella747
If I just qualified for MVP 75k this week (July '23), will I not receive the AA upgrade cert until next April ('24)?
Correct. It appears this benefit will always come at one time for the program. This year was April, prior year was June or July, (but you could use those for a flight the following year, you just had to apply them in the calendar year) This year you have to use them for a flight this year.
I dont think Alaska has control of when AA will release them (its been posted here that its after AA releases the AA/BA version of certificates for this own elites)
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FenwayTim
Correct. It appears this benefit will always come at one time for the program. This year was April, prior year was June or July, (but you could use those for a flight the following year, you just had to apply them in the calendar year) This year you have to use them for a flight this year.
I dont think Alaska has control of when AA will release them (its been posted here that its after AA releases the AA/BA version of certificates for this own elites)
Wow! Okay! Thank you so much for the info. This saves me a phone call to ask where the certificate is. :-D
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: AS 100K
so are these upgrades good for 2024 travel or do they really need to be applied/confirmed for 2023 travel?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:16 pm

AS UG on AA

Originally Posted by FenwayTim
I booked my 2022 AA RT upgrade from AS for May, 2023. When I tried to change it booh AA and AS said it had expired and was no longer in their systems, I used my one way UG for 2023 in May, 2023, on a return flight from LHR to MIA....I don't think the program was very well conceived.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
so are these upgrades good for 2024 travel or do they really need to be applied/confirmed for 2023 travel?
Booked in 2023 and travel completed in 2023
atcanobbio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.