Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Can you tell from AA website if there's inventory open or do you have to call?
You can search for upgrade space on EF. There is no way to tell from the AA website (unless you have valid AA SWU in your AA account).
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:27 am

My biggest gripe with these is how long it takes AS to issue them. There is really no excuse for a 4-5month delay and then making then expire end of calendar year they are issued in. So you really only have 7-8 months to use them, but really its less time than that if you want to make sure you use them and not get waitlisted without clearing. 1-2 month day I could understand, but 4-5 is nuts. Thats part of the reason so many find them "worthless".
haroon145, ssk244 and simonsuo like this.

Last edited by olouie; Aug 21, 2023 at 11:57 am
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by olouie
My biggest gripe with these is how long it takes AS to issue them. There is really no excuse for a 4-5month delay and then making then expire end of calendar year they are issued in. So you really only have 7-8 months to use them, but really its less time than that if you want to make sure you use them and not get waitlisted without clearing. 1-2 month day I could understand, but 4-5 is nuts. Thats part of the reason so many find them "worthless".
another reason i gave up 100k this year, maybe giving up 75k too. Want to use on LAX-SYD, of course nothing available.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

At the risk of (once again) sounding like an AS apologist, my past understanding is that AS' acquisition of these SWUs is a one-time batch issuance by AA. In other words, AS has to wait until it finalizes its list of 100K/75Ks before it can request the codes from AA, then confirm the account matching after it receives them. Since we're talking about two dinosaur IT environments, I think the minimum turnaround time would be 60 days, so 100 days doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. YMMV.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll add as well that they're of such limited utility, it doesn't matter that much to me. I always had to struggle to use my SWU as an EXP, and usually wound up burning them for J=>F upgrades on SFO/LAX-JFK.
olouie likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
At the risk of (once again) sounding like an AS apologist, my past understanding is that AS' acquisition of these SWUs is a one-time batch issuance by AA. In other words, AS has to wait until it finalizes its list of 100K/75Ks before it can request the codes from AA, then confirm the account matching after it receives them. Since we're talking about two dinosaur IT environments, I think the minimum turnaround time would be 60 days, so 100 days doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. YMMV.
Which if true makes the decision to limit them to calendar year even worse. AA own SWUs can be applied for much longer and get to members quicker. So by the time AS elites get them it’s already a massive disadvantage.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can search for upgrade space on EF. There is no way to tell from the AA website (unless you have valid AA SWU in your AA account).
Is EF an awardnexus -like service?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
Is EF an awardnexus -like service?
EF is EF. It pulls data from the GDS and other sources.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 100k, Hyatt Globalist, Hhonors Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Happy to report that i was able to use both my SWUs for upgrades for upcoming lights to europe in october. I was able to confirm one at booking and another cleared in 2 days The business class loading is pretty low for flights in october (i checked flights to ZRH and MUC), so its worthwhile to waitlist on those flights. It was easier for me to search for routes with SWU upgrade space as a AA EXP.
lalala and FenwayTim like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K
I am booking for flights for my wife to Paris via LAX-LHR. Found availability for return but 0 for outgoing flight. Using EP, shows that there are 7C when using flights from LAX to CDG, but shows 0 from LAX to LHR. Do you know if this is likely to clear? Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AA y-up fares into PE are a sweet spot. You earn 100% EQM in Mileage Plan too.

Last year's upgraded PE to J on YVR-DFW-IAH-LHR and on PHX-LHR-BUD.YVR-DFW was waitlisted but all the rest confirmed at booking. A gifted SWU upgraded LHR-LAX from J to F.

My two from this year have already been applied and confirmed on LHR-JFK in mid December, waitlisted on A321T JFK-LAX. The segments are part of a larger itinerary flying PE from South Africa outbound and J back to Europe next Easter.

James
I'm currently booked in J, waitlisted for F, on a RT AA flight LAX > LHR in November. Looking in the reservation I have, since my MVP number is there, I can't see any status of the upgrade other than just refreshing. Did you get an email confirmation that you were confirmed?

Also, do we know what order in the SWU upgrade list we fall in as 100k's?
Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by eyang1990
I am booking for flights for my wife to Paris via LAX-LHR. Found availability for return but 0 for outgoing flight. Using EP, shows that there are 7C when using flights from LAX to CDG, but shows 0 from LAX to LHR. Do you know if this is likely to clear? Thanks
Its 0 for the long haul and only shows 7C due to married segmented issues with upgrade space search, keep monitoring the LAX to LHR segment as inter Europe business class is not huge deal.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyang1990
The upgrade numbers returned by EF are only meaningful if you search segment by segment (no connections). The 7 you see when you look at a connection is basically meaningless.

You can look at total J (revenue) space in flight availability to give you an idea of the chance of clearance (they clear down to the last business class seat at the gate) but remember that you will probably be last on the list because the vast majority of SWUs go to AA CK and EXP who will be ahead of you. I would not waitlist unless you are really ok with sitting in economy. There is also a thread about likelihood of clearance on various routes on the AA forum; you'll probably get more useful information there.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
LAX-SYD roundtrip Thanksgiving week both confirmed

Originally Posted by simonsuo
another reason i gave up 100k this year, maybe giving up 75k too. Want to use on LAX-SYD, of course nothing available.
Slapping myself in the face here. I borrowed my buddy's EF for an LAX-SYD alert. Got the alert on Saturday morning, booked an $1100 roundtrip, and cleared after calling at noon. No wait for the call. Thanksgiving week, J cash is about $11k roundtrip. SWU value: $5k/piece. Finally had a score this year. Used both on Transcon last year.
I could be wrong, but AA LAX-SYD used to be once daily for my dates, but it's now twice daily. I'm sure more frequency helped out here.
pointsrunner, ssk244 and FenwayTim like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by simonsuo
Slapping myself in the face here. I borrowed my buddy's EF for an LAX-SYD alert. Got the alert on Saturday morning, booked an $1100 roundtrip, and cleared after calling at noon. No wait for the call. Thanksgiving week, J cash is about $11k roundtrip. SWU value: $5k/piece. Finally had a score this year. Used both on Transcon last year.
I could be wrong, but AA LAX-SYD used to be once daily for my dates, but it's now twice daily. I'm sure more frequency helped out here.
Time to buy that lottery ticket. But also CX is running LAX-HKG-SYD for around $5k RT business class which is cheap during thanksgiving week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.