Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by SoFlaFlyer737
I booked my 2022 AA RT upgrade from AS for May, 2023. When I tried to change it booh AA and AS said it had expired and was no longer in their systems, I used my one way UG for 2023 in May, 2023, on a return flight from LHR to MIA....I don't think the program was very well conceived.
Not well conceived could be it or more likely the benefit was purposely limited in a few ways, 1 being having to use it on the same year you got it and only good for AA not not BA like the normal AA certificates.

As for the 2022 one, that one you could use in 2023, you just had to book something by end of 2022.. But we got those in the summer of 2022..
This year they moved it up a “whole” 3 months and now you have to book and use in same year…
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Would be very appreciated if they didn't wait until you're halfway through the year and expect you to use it by the end of the year. Many people have already booked their year end travel by then so there's only a small window it's usable.
pmblinn, ItsAnAdam and FenwayTim like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 4:59 pm

Was finally able to use mine on some transcon flights. Not the best use of them but given the short time period this year I just wanted to make sure I used them instead of trying to optimize them given how limited AA international network is and how limited upgrades are.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by olouie
Was finally able to use mine on some transcon flights. Not the best use of them but given the short time period this year I just wanted to make sure I used them instead of trying to optimize them given how limited AA international network is and how limited upgrades are.
I might be in the same boat… Probably only have 2-3 international trips left this year and AA would only be a option for 1 of them. (LHR). Factor in limited windows of when I would be going and not likely they will do anything for me for international.
I wonder with the JetBlue partnership over, if AA and Alaska make some stronger ties and AA goes back to trying to ramp up international at Seattle and LAX which would give us more options. Wishful thinking probably on my part.
olouie likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: Alaska 75k
For using the certs between USA and LHR, are there additional taxes for applying the upgrade and if so, how much? Only have 1 so trying to figure out which direction would be more beneficial for me to use it.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by burningflames
For using the certs between USA and LHR, are there additional taxes for applying the upgrade and if so, how much? Only have 1 so trying to figure out which direction would be more beneficial for me to use it.
Yes extra taxes/fees. Departing LHR will have more.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:40 am

Yes extra taxes/fees. Departing LHR will have more.
Is there a chart or calculator somewhere to figure out the amount of taxes?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:42 am

Is there a chart or calculator somewhere to figure out the amount of taxes?
I think it’s around 5.60 to LHR and $250 from LHR to the US in business class. I’m sure if you Google it you can find the exact amounts.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:13 am

I think it’s around 5.60 to LHR and $250 from LHR to the US in business class. I’m sure if you Google it you can find the exact amounts.
Most people say $130 ex-LHR from what I see. The ones shared look like the standard taxes booking an award ticket outright.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Most people say $130 ex-LHR from what I see.
UK APD depends on how fare you're flying. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...passenger-duty
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: MVP
Just wondering if anyone has experience using their SWU on AA flights that weren't purchased on AA.com? I've read Alaska's T&C that states "Reservations may be made, and tickets purchased from any authorized travel agency or American Airlines. Upgrade requests must be made through the designated line at American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816 as provided in the email sent to qualified Gold 75K or Gold 100K member. Upgrade requests cannot be made on aa.com." -- however when my wife had to call Alaska to retrieve her SWU as she's 100K, the Alaska agent informed her they couldn't be applied to her upcoming AA flight that she has booked through her work (Concur Travel).

Any experiences of people booking work travel with Concur and applying these upgrades successfully? Calling AA's 888 number above this evening, but curious if there are other data points. Not sure what "authorized travel agency" really means here.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by eticket99
Just wondering if anyone has experience using their SWU on AA flights that weren't purchased on AA.com? I've read Alaska's T&C that states "Reservations may be made, and tickets purchased from any authorized travel agency or American Airlines. Upgrade requests must be made through the designated line at American Airlines at 1-888-824-1816 as provided in the email sent to qualified Gold 75K or Gold 100K member. Upgrade requests cannot be made on aa.com." -- however when my wife had to call Alaska to retrieve her SWU as she's 100K, the Alaska agent informed her they couldn't be applied to her upcoming AA flight that she has booked through her work (Concur Travel).

Any experiences of people booking work travel with Concur and applying these upgrades successfully? Calling AA's 888 number above this evening, but curious if there are other data points. Not sure what "authorized travel agency" really means here.
AS agents dont know much about these upgrades so your best bet is to call the dedicated number and try. It should work unless they booked her a codeshare, government/military ticket or econ basic ticket IIRC.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
AA upgrade that expires 12/23

How hard is it to find space to use this upgrade? I feel like I'd hate for it to go to waste. Ideally Id find a West Coast to Japan leg...
the AS Facebook group posts seem to claim this is worthless! :-(
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by tripmaster
How hard is it to find space to use this upgrade? I feel like I'd hate for it to go to waste. Ideally Id find a West Coast to Japan leg...
the AS Facebook group posts seem to claim this is worthless! :-(
I used three certificates this year on a HND - LAX trip earlier this year. Definitely not worthless
tripmaster and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I used three certificates this year on a HND - LAX trip earlier this year. Definitely not worthless
Can you tell from AA website if there's inventory open or do you have to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.