Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K/75K AA Upgrade (SWU) Codes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by olouie
Big warning on these upgrades. AA is making a mess of this year upgrades.... And AS is unable to help if any issues arise.
This is a big disappointment. Another on the fringe of bait-and-switch?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
This is a big disappointment. Another on the fringe of bait-and-switch?
I think some of this has to do with how badly AS times the releases of the upgrades and how most agents have no clue what is going on.
Basically they keep changing things so agents aren't sure what to do. Latest agent just shouted at me "of course they didn't work, you cannot apply international upgrades to a domestic flight" haha.

Be very careful if applying to next year flights. It will likely cause many issues with your next year upgrades. And AA likely wont tell you anything until you try and check in so thats fun.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 12:41 pm

Since the flight is tomorrow, anyone know how a secret to getting AA to reissue the upgrades/SWUs in a timely manner? So far they said it will take 3-4days to 1-2 weeks.

Well 5 hours of many many calls and waiting and finally found a great legacy agent who fought hard to get them to make this right. Lesson learned, triple check exactly what the agents are doing when applying upgrades and then check again after its confirmed and ticketed.
FenwayTim likes this.

Last edited by olouie; Nov 10, 2023 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My experience is that once an AS AA upgrade code is successfully applied to an AA flight, it looks like an AA SWU (systemwide upgrade) to an AA agent. And AA's SWU rules and procedures apply. AS has nothing to do with it. I don't think that AS can reissue it, but anything is possible.

My pro tip: After it's been applied, refer to it as an SWU when talking to an AA agent.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
My experience is that once an AS AA upgrade code is successfully applied to an AA flight, it looks like an AA SWU (systemwide upgrade) to an AA agent. And AA's SWU rules and procedures apply. AS has nothing to do with it. I don't think that AS can reissue it, but anything is possible.

My pro tip: After it's been applied, refer to it as an SWU when talking to an AA agent.
Yes this is true. TIL the code Alaska gives you is actually the AA FFN for a dummy account they create to track upgrades (this is according to multiple agents today). However that dummy account may also have fake names on them so when there are issues agents get super confused since they are empty accounts with fake names and only might contain your SWUs. Once the SWUs have been used it requires moving mountains to fix anything since no one on the AAdvantage side wants to touch those dummy accounts.

Also any changes to a flight including minor flight times can throw things off so better to keep checking your upgrades as things go if you book far out.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Where you able to apply a SWU for 2024 travel? i was under the impression hat it was for 2023 travel only. It'd be great (and fair considering we get them so late) if we can use them for 2024 travel.
Hmm, if other folks are having success I may try for 2024 after all. I hate the AA SEA-LHR flight timing, but the return is actually quite nice...(and so are the CX/QF F Lounges)
Old Nov 19, 2023, 2:30 pm
vji

Reissuing one of these is a nightmare. I had a SWU applied for a flight that I eventually cancelled and am trying to apply it to a different flight. However, I've tried calling the number on the email and each time someone tells me something different:

1. "We can't reissue these since they were by Alaska, we have to get American Airlines customer care to reissue them, please call us during their business hours"
2. Called the number and asked to be forwarded to customer care, and they say that since it's an Alaska FF number, we have to have Alaska reissue it
3. I'll call Alaska customer care on Monday, but it looks futile...
\
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it is even possible, I strongly suspect that only AA AAdvantage CS can reissue a code.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Another data point: tried to put the SWU on a premium economy fare BA AMM-LHR-JFK then AA JFK-DCA in January. Knowledgeable agent wouldn't let me book LHR-JFK on BA but was happy to put it on an American flight LHR-JFK leaving 1.5 hours later. He also wouldn't let me get upgraded AMM-LHR because it's an Alaska SWU and because it doesn't originate in Europe.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My booked P-E (p) fare received .25 the mileage (o) after being rebooked via lax to London. My outbound credited correctly and I know I bought a P-E ticket both ways because I I needed the full mileage accrual. Will follow up with AS/AA on my return.

Glad I already made my 100k nut or this would super suck.

so watch those fare codes post reticketing
Old Nov 21, 2023, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by vji
Reissuing one of these is a nightmare. I had a SWU applied for a flight that I eventually cancelled and am trying to apply it to a different flight. However, I've tried calling the number on the email and each time someone tells me something different:

1. "We can't reissue these since they were by Alaska, we have to get American Airlines customer care to reissue them, please call us during their business hours"
2. Called the number and asked to be forwarded to customer care, and they say that since it's an Alaska FF number, we have to have Alaska reissue it
3. I'll call Alaska customer care on Monday, but it looks futile...
\
Good luck. Keep on calling. It took me 5+ hours and god knows how many agents to fix my issue. Sadly I’m not sure the troubles are over as when I called in for something else AA systems still show my account as overdrawn by 1 upgrade. This might be forever problem now 😑 or at least AA customer care corporate team decides to fix it (quoted time of a few weeks but we all now how that goes).

AS customer care can’t help you at all here. You are at the mercy of AA.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:23 am
vji

Haha, I called again and something? happened:

Called the phone number given, they pulled my reservation up
They said they can't redeposit systemwides, that their customer care has to do it
They transferred me to customer care
Customer care says that they are completing the process but it'll take 3-5 business days

(Are my problems over? They also referred to me as Mr. Alaska, so you know it's the right account...)

I guess we'll see when I have to apply it...
olouie likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by vji
Haha, I called again and something? happened:

Called the phone number given, they pulled my reservation up
They said they can't redeposit systemwides, that their customer care has to do it
They transferred me to customer care
Customer care says that they are completing the process but it'll take 3-5 business days

(Are my problems over? They also referred to me as Mr. Alaska, so you know it's the right account...)

I guess we'll see when I have to apply it...
Gotta love the fake names they put on the upgrade accounts. So secure and high tech haha. I would call back in a few days to verify it completed instead of when you try to use it again. AA customer care isn't great at follow through.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:51 am
vji

Originally Posted by olouie
Gotta love the fake names they put on the upgrade accounts. So secure and high tech haha. I would call back in a few days to verify it completed instead of when you try to use it again. AA customer care isn't great at follow through.
Apparent success - after a couple of HUCAs I applied the SWU to another reservation of mine. It looks like it got redeposited before 3-5 business days (within the same day actually) and now I have a new ticket in J, reissued and confirmed
olouie and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder will SWU post in April again next year? I notice the verbiage hasn't changed in T&C:

> ¹⁰Members who qualify for MVP Gold 75K or MVP Gold 100K are eligible for either a total of 1 or 2 one-way upgrade certificates on American, depending on tier qualified for at year-end. Certificates will be distributed in April. Only members who meet the published qualification criteria for the tier are eligible. Status acquired via nomination, status match promotion, or special offers are not eligible. Terms and Conditions.

Being unable to use SWU during the first 4 months of the year is kind of lame.

Also, just to confirm, can you use these SWU's for other people flying? (I know AA allows this for their elites)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.