Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change Your Flight for Exclusive Rewards! (Nominal Travel Credit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Your Flight for Exclusive Rewards! (Nominal Travel Credit)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Uhm, yeah, $35 is not going to move the needle for me. I’d rather stay on my flight and hope for a BSG and 2500 rdm.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I usually book far enough in advance that I have a decent choice of seats. Finding a comparable seat on an alternate flight might be difficult. And I often have car rental reservations and/or hotel at the destination that isn’t easily changeable. They really need to sweeten the deal for me to consider helping them out in most cases I can think of.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:45 am

The advantage of a "low" offer is that this is in advance so you can shift plans accordingly. At the airport people will have to make last minute changes to their plans so obviously the vouchers at the airport will be higher.

If I was a college student or someone on limited income getting this email I would absolutely take it vs risking a voucher at the airport
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:36 pm

You will be a much better offer at the gate when they are asking for volunteers.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I'd try this approach: call them and say I got your exclusive offer - and - if you would be willing to move me to flight XXX on June 26 and up the offer to (a more reasonable figure like $100), then you got a deal!
Gar1P, SEA777GUY and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by downinit
You will be a much better offer at the gate when they are asking for volunteers.
Flew UA the other day and they wanted one volunteer. They couldn't find one @ $1,000 and eventually a guy who had initially been amongst those who had passed got out with $1,500!
I'm admittedly still kicking myself, but I was worried about screwing up plans with family. Sigh.
donotblink likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Flew UA the other day and they wanted one volunteer. They couldn't find one @ $1,000 and eventually a guy who had initially been amongst those who had passed got out with $1,500!
I'm admittedly still kicking myself, but I was worried about screwing up plans with family. Sigh.
Was flying DCA and SFO and UA was offering $3K plus a light from IAD 3 hours later with taxi and food covered. They needed 8 ppl and no takers at $1, $1.5, got 2-3 at $2K and finally a ton of ppl jumped at $3K haha. Pretty amazing offer. AS flight I was on left with around 15-20 open seats.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by olouie
Whats really amazing is that even when AS knows they need to free up space they will still make changes incredibly difficult unless you get an offer. Heck even when they cancel you still get a lot of agents refusing to change more than +/- 1 day. Penny wise pound foolish given the state of flying.
For sure. I've had a moment last fall where I got an email about overbooking before it showed in the support system and the agent couldn't do a thing. They did call me back 10 minutes later and I happily took $600 to fly EWR instead of JFK, 10 minutes earlier. A decent proactive system would have saved them an easy $500 there.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by olouie
Was flying DCA and SFO and UA was offering $3K plus a light from IAD 3 hours later with taxi and food covered. They needed 8 ppl and no takers at $1, $1.5, got 2-3 at $2K and finally a ton of ppl jumped at $3K haha. Pretty amazing offer. AS flight I was on left with around 15-20 open seats.
I suppose I could also have mentioned that my anecdote referred to a 1hr 15 min flight!
olouie likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Resplendent
For a minimum 9 hour delay, that seems pretty cheap of them.
Alaska has always been super cheap at $200 for VDB but this takes the cake
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I've seen AS go into the 1k+ region on a flight from SFO-PVR during Christmas time ~5 years ago, started at 500 and after everyone boarded a couple took the offer at $1400 each. I had volunteered, but because they needed two, they decided to take the couple instead.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The advantage of a "low" offer is that this is in advance so you can shift plans accordingly. At the airport people will have to make last minute changes to their plans so obviously the vouchers at the airport will be higher.

If I was a college student or someone on limited income getting this email I would absolutely take it vs risking a voucher at the airport
Originally Posted by safari ari
I've seen AS go into the 1k+ region on a flight from SFO-PVR during Christmas time ~5 years ago, started at 500 and after everyone boarded a couple took the offer at $1400 each. I had volunteered, but because they needed two, they decided to take the couple instead.
years ago when I was at college I’d book flights with the homes of getting bump offers. I got free money fir XC trips in the 90s

i had an AS flight from Chicago that wasn’t overbooked but had some special cargo on it. They had weight limits on a 737. Thry had 99 booked but only coukd allow 84 or so. They offered. I had to beat work the next day otherwise I would have taken it. I think they were offering $500+
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Do people generally take the offers or do they IDB a lot of people?

Because if enough people are taking the offers for $200 there's no reason to offer more.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CDKing
Was on an oversold flight x2 pax where the GA offered $1000 each flying SFO-DAL
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do people generally take the offers or do they IDB a lot of people?

Because if enough people are taking the offers for $200 there's no reason to offer more.
I think it is pretty rare. It is a stat that most airlines want to avoid. That's why the $$$ keeps going up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.