Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change Your Flight for Exclusive Rewards! (Nominal Travel Credit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite

Huh, this is fascinating. Just got this email from Alaska. I wonder if other people have received similar emails and if they've received similar offers

$35 though ..... yawn tack on a zero and you'll get me interested LOL

Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
How much of a change did they want you to make for $35?

And opportunity?!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Available options aren't "too" bad - I'm flying SFO-AUS nonstop on Jun 27 (8:40am - 2:18pm) and I'm given five options

- Jun 27 5:55pm - 11:31pm nonstop $35
- Jun 28 morning flight nonstop $35
- Jun 28 evening flight nonstop $35
- Jun 29 morning flight nonstop $35
- Jun 29 evening flight nonstop $35

Too bad the options are all "later" flights - if AS has an option for Jun 26, I might actually have taken them up on it ...... even for a paltry $35
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
For a minimum 9 hour delay, that seems pretty cheap of them.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:27 pm

Something tells me that if you wait you could see a much better offer.
Spiff, Gar1P, StrandedinLA and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:15 am

Hi -

Checking EF tells part of the story.

There are plenty of seats available on the other flights. Could be a cancellation and a rebooking soon in your future ... .
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I would consider changing for $35 if it involved changing the routing to something that would get me more RDMs/EQMs like a connection in SEA or better yet a double connection in LAX and SEA but not to another nonstop unless the upgrade chances were significantly better.
Ted S and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:29 am

Pretty smart of Alaska to proactively manage inventory in this manner. Not everyone thinks of squeezing big VDB vouchers. If even 5% of the people they send it to would now find it more convenient to change to one of the alternatives, it's a success.
Colin, Ted S, SEA777GUY and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:43 am

My guess is its due to the 12:40-6:15 flight on the 27th being oversold by 19 seats, which is even 8 over authorized.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Pretty smart of Alaska to proactively manage inventory in this manner. Not everyone thinks of squeezing big VDB vouchers. If even 5% of the people they send it to would now find it more convenient to change to one of the alternatives, it's a success.
But it’s “exclusive”
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
$35 is kind of a low amount though. AA and DL are trying this too but offers usually start around $100.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by olouie
$35 is kind of a low amount though. AA and DL are trying this too but offers usually start around $100.
Ya, $100 seems like a more reasonable start but I would not be surprised to see similar emails with different offers as they test how low still gets a response, and what routes require more / less $.

$35 wouldn't get me to change anything I wanted to stick with but if I was already thinking about a change or just bought in to the cheaper flight which is now more full, and it's get a few bucks vs pay a fare change, easy win.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
This is interesting. Although I think it's wise of AS to get ahead of potential issues, I agree with everyone who has pointed out that this offer just isn't tempting. If they want to stick with a measly $35, it might be more tempting to some if it was offered as an actual refund as opposed to a flight credit. Otherwise, they just need to up the ante. The only folks likely to jump on this are the ones who were considering changing to a later flight anyway.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Ted S
Ya, $100 seems like a more reasonable start but I would not be surprised to see similar emails with different offers as they test how low still gets a response, and what routes require more / less $.

$35 wouldn't get me to change anything I wanted to stick with but if I was already thinking about a change or just bought in to the cheaper flight which is now more full, and it's get a few bucks vs pay a fare change, easy win.
Whats really amazing is that even when AS knows they need to free up space they will still make changes incredibly difficult unless you get an offer. Heck even when they cancel you still get a lot of agents refusing to change more than +/- 1 day. Penny wise pound foolish given the state of flying.
notquiteaff and Ted S like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But it’s “exclusive”
Just like with luck, it could be exclusively good, or exclusively bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.