Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska First Is So Much Better Than American First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

I planned to do a whole review when I completed a week plus of mileage runs, 95 percent Alaska first and 5 percent American with all miles crediting for Aa, though I’ve only got a couple go to and the results are obvious. Alaska wins by a million.

We’ve had some issues with service dogs, the crew handled them fine. Every single crew (even the flights that were just ok) introduced themselves to everyone in first and generally knew our names or faked it by reading it from their sheet. That was a very nice touch.

I had shoddy Wi-Fi on a flight and while Alaska didn’t refund the months Wi-if plan they did give me a 50 dollar discount on a future booking.

Literally on 10 pieces of metal on Alaska in first this last week my only complaints have been:
  • No champagne
  • No cranberry juice
  • No lie flat on a 5 hour routing.
  • the guy at first class check in today who asked me why I didn’t use the kiosk since it’s faster even though I was the ONLY one in line. He will single handed my ruin the airport survey from Alaska listens today and yes I have your full name

but overall I am telling you, Alaska is way better!!! On American there was no introduction (to our group or individually) nor custom hello mr Jones - and no food besides pretzels and biscoff. Plenty of mini bottles handed out though. I can’t fault our FA but the company culture. Oh and my seat was broken, ZERO RECLINE. Freaking American why would you be shocked when I eventually status match and move? You keep sucking. It’s. It even one offs. Alaska rocks minus their Wi-Fi and overall tech
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I don't think anyone here is going to argue with you on the overall message.

The only thing I'd ask is why you think you would be entitled to having the whole month of WiFi refunded for a bad flight?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Yepper, one day we may see lie flats on cross country / Central American flights. If that day comes, AS will truely shoot above the rest.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I got perfectly fine service and meals over the past long weekend on a spur of the moment trip to LHR in AA J. The champagne was a “who?” (H. Blin) but drinkable. The meals (crab cakes and a spiced chicken breast airline style, with a little leg bone in it) were fine. Flight attendants checked on my drinks and comfort. It’s not SQ or CX but it’s perfectly passable (and generally I find it like that on domestic flights). VERIFLY worked very well for getting docs and tests on one central place.

I don’t think AA is very special… but it’s been fine for me as an option for a long time. YMMV (and inevitably for someone who hits 00 on the roulette wheel of airlines it WV).
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AS F is great on short flights but on premium transcon flights it isn't competitive at all. And now, the A321s seem to only doing West Coast runs so on some flights out of FLL, we are stuck with ancient AS 738s.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
the guy at first class check in today who asked me why I didn’t use the kiosk since it’s faster even though I was the ONLY one in line. He will single handed my ruin the airport survey from Alaska listens today and yes I have your full name
You're certainly welcome to complain, but it would take more than that to ruin anything for me. YMMV.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
AS F is great on short flights but on premium transcon flights it isn't competitive at all. And now, the A321s seem to only doing West Coast runs so on some flights out of FLL, we are stuck with ancient AS 738s.
Meanwhile wasn't what Alaska originally liked about the A321s is that they're good for transcons?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Meanwhile wasn't what Alaska originally liked about the A321s is that they're good for transcons?
My upcoming JFK is scheduled for a 321.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Originally Posted by fly747first
They're mostly doing JFK/DCA tcons, so yes, that's what they still like about them.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
AS service is definitely better. They handle IRROP better as well. It is true that their equipment makes them less competitive for the longer routes.

Late June, there were staffing issues at SEA. Our plane sat at the gate for nearly an hour waiting for ground staffs to get to us. A few days later, $50 flight credits showed for each of us. We did not ask for it. It just showed up in our email inbox.

I have flown first between LAX -- IAH and PHX --IAH both on American Eagle. The service is drinks only even in first. AS would have provided a sandwich or a snack box.

Finally, late June, my husband traveled with crotches due to a broken ankle. AS FA were compassionate and kind. They told him about the special emergency procedure for people needing assistance to walk. When he needed to use the bathroom, they blocked the aisle to give him time, offered to spot him in case if he falls. When I flew with crotches years ago due to a broken leg, neither the gate agent nor the FA (won't mentioned the company here) cared. It is an amazing difference when specially attention is needed.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
In general, AS FAs do care more and care better than AA FAs. This is a cornerstone of the customer experience: to be treated as a human in a recliner seat, versus to be treated as self-loading cargo (even if in a lie-flat).

That said, I have met AA FAs who are focused and attentive even on a short hop, and AS FAs who are hostile, indifferent, or confrontational.
Eastbay1K, N1120A, Klrduks and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
My wife and I flew SEA-LHR on AA in business class and came back on Virgin Atlantic. The experience on AA was dreadful. Not so much as a cup of water until 1 hour into the flight and the crew was indifferent at best. It was the 777-200 and the seat was nice but the entertainment system did not work properly and the crew didn't care.

Don't waste you money with AA over the pond.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Trust me, absolutely nobody is going to disagree with you on that statement... especially when you couple in oASSis seats... but AA does have. a pretty good long haul product i'll give them that

And on a much controversial opinion, currently during post COVID times, Alaska currently offers the best domestic first class product out of any US carrier.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
I agree unless its a A321T on the premium transcon routes, honestly I don't care much for soft product and more about the hard product - just get me where I want to go on time and in comfort.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
No idea why people are talking about AA international business when we are comparing to AS first, we all know domestic and international are different animals. But since the door is already open I will just say I would prefer BA over AA to Europe as the service and product is similar but BA gives you more AS miles.
be_rettSEA and RAD_PDX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.