Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska First Is So Much Better Than American First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska First Is So Much Better Than American First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Aero137

Now, the Alaska Lounge and SkyClubs in SEA…
those are both far better than any Admirals Club, and almost on par with some Flagship Lounges.
I hope you are kidding, AS SEA N gate lounge is very nice, but still far to be almost on par with ANY flagship lounge, provide pre pandemic I frequent flagship at ORD, JFK, LAX, and a week ago at the reopen MIA flagship, AS lounge only has 1/10 of the food from the flagship lounge
Also I found AS lounge agents are really incompetent, any ticket issues they direct me to call AS reservation instead, they are not authorized to do any changes, lack of knowledge, to I ask about where is my plane came from since I saw no plane at my gate at boarding, he responds he has no ability to find out, what a joke, these are the AS lounge agents no matter at SEA or LAX.
nineworldseries and AndyKehn like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Every single crew (even the flights that were just ok) introduced themselves to everyone in first and generally knew our names or faked it by reading it from their sheet. That was a very nice touch.
I did my 11 segments runs last month, only once was greeted by my first name, twice I was thanked by being one world sapphire member
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I hope you are kidding, AS SEA N gate lounge is very nice, but still far to be almost on par with ANY flagship lounge, provide pre pandemic I frequent flagship at ORD, JFK, LAX, and a week ago at the reopen MIA flagship, AS lounge only has 1/10 of the food from the flagship lounge
Also I found AS lounge agents are really incompetent, any ticket issues they direct me to call AS reservation instead, they are not authorized to do any changes, lack of knowledge, to I ask about where is my plane came from since I saw no plane at my gate at boarding, he responds he has no ability to find out, what a joke, these are the AS lounge agents no matter at SEA or LAX.
1) No question that the AL does not compare in any way to the FL F&B offerings. While the N lounge is a lovely physical space, it is somewhat like comparing a Holiday Inn express gormay buffay with an executive lounge at a luxury hotel.

2) i do take issue with the "incompetent" comment. Not trained and/or not authorized to do something is a company issue, and not the fault of what might be a perfectly intelligent and capable agent. While this can materially affect the AS F experience, it is because of AS staffing and policy (i.e. company incompetence), not agent incompetence.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

2) i do take issue with the "incompetent" comment. Not trained and/or not authorized to do something is a company issue, and not the fault of what might be a perfectly intelligent and capable agent. While this can materially affect the AS F experience, it is because of AS staffing and policy (i.e. company incompetence), not agent incompetence.
Maybe I have high expectations, I am very used to AA admirals club and UA club (or old RCC) lounge agents superb service, it is like any ticketing problems, upgrades, delays, rebooking, standbys, etc, can be done right there instead of have to call on the phone or go to the gate, so I was expected the same level of service at AS lounges. More than once I actually saw the agents at the desk also worked as bartenders, food prep, and even lounge janitors, I guess they are hired on a different role other than CSR like those in AA and UA lounges.

P.S. AS gate agents can put multi legs PNR on one boarding pass, but I was told they can't do that at the lounge.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 9, 2021 at 11:53 am
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

A reminder that this thread is a discussion of AS F vs. AA F, not lounge operations. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I did my 11 segments runs last month, only once was greeted by my first name, twice I was thanked by being one world sapphire member
That's crazy unless they were mostly 1 hour type flights, my experience had to be something like 12 of 14 segments... maybe the other two too but I was too buzzed or tired to remember. The routes were LAX or BUR to Seattle, and then Seattle to MCO or FLL, or the reverse of all such.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Pictures tell a story.

AA SEA-DFW in F vs. AS DAL-SEA in F. Breakfast meals for both flights.

Third picture is because the AS FA forgot a roll and apparently one of either Eastbay1K or Uri Geller was on my flight.

anteater likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
That's crazy unless they were mostly 1 hour type flights, my experience had to be something like 12 of 14 segments... maybe the other two too but I was too buzzed or tired to remember. The routes were LAX or BUR to Seattle, and then Seattle to MCO or FLL, or the reverse of all such.
nope, I flew back and fourth ORD-SEA/PDX/BOI-LAX, and the flights that I was greeted as one world sapphire member was one on AS, one on QX, the one greeted by my first name was ORD-SEA, so it shows there are inconsistency.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are also inconsistency to snack basket, and I am not even talking about breakfast flights. I mean what is the standard ?

​​​​​​ORD-SEA-ORD: one flight has snack basket but no cookie, one flight has cookie but no snack basket. It is always either or

West coast only flights (SEA-LAX-SEA, LAX-BOI, LAX-PDX), some flights has neither snack basket nor cookie, one SEA-SJC has both cookie and snack basket.

Then there is also problems with wifi particular on E75, half of my flights on E75 are not working at all despite multiple reset by FA, they have many OO and QX flights on E75 flying these 4+ hours routes ORD-PDX, ORD-BOI, would they reintroduce to hand out the tablets again ? AA is very consistent in this area no matter on the old layout or oasis
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pictures tell a story.

AA SEA-DFW in F vs. AS DAL-SEA in F. Breakfast meals for both flights.
That’s actually not a good representative comparison to make, as DAL is an outlier for AS in terms of catering. The breakfast would be much better on virtually any other route of that length.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
That’s actually not a good representative comparison to make, as DAL is an outlier for AS in terms of catering. The breakfast would be much better on virtually any other route of that length.
Gotta love FT, someone puts pictures of the actual experience up an actual person actually had without any actual comment on the comparison and it’s “well, ackshually…”

But sure, all kinds of subjective judgments + individual circumstances affect how AS and AA F are experienced.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:46 pm

Gotta love FT, someone puts pictures of the actual experience up an actual person actually had without any actual comment on the comparison and it’s “well, ackshually…”

But sure, all kinds of subjective judgments + individual circumstances affect how AS and AA F are experienced.
Except they actually have a valid point. DFW-SEA would be a hot breakfast or a fruit and cheese plate (which is the market they were comparing AA vs AS to), as would any other mainline midcon except for DAL-SEA. A more accurate comparison would be in the same market. DAL is the ONE mainline midcon market that doesn't offer a hot meal option in the morning. So yeah, pick the ONE mainline midcon market with a lesser offering and hold that up as representative of the midcon experience and I suppose you will get a comment.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Gotta love FT. People feel compelled to write this kind of palaver.
AS Flyer, NoLaGent and AndyKehn like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Gotta love FT. People feel compelled to write this kind of palaver.
Yup.. let’s make it an apples to apples comparison at least.
NoLaGent and AndyKehn like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
Yup.. let’s make it an apples to apples comparison at least.
Silly me thinking I could do a round trip to the city of Dallas on the exact airlines and cabins mentioned in the thread and it turns out “well, actually, you can’t compare the experiences you had and have it be a valid comparison because Reasons(tm).”

Oh, there are inconsistencies in the airline experience I could have? Do tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.