Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska First Is So Much Better Than American First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska First Is So Much Better Than American First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
In general, AS FAs do care more and care better than AA FAs. This is a cornerstone of the customer experience: to be treated as a human in a recliner seat, versus to be treated as self-loading cargo (even if in a lie-flat).

That said, I have met (in my many years of flying) AA FAs who are focused and attentive even on a short hop, and AS FAs who are hostile, indifferent, or confrontational.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:55 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You would have really liked the former Virgin America recliner seats.

And its very Flyertalk of you to fly a bunch of mileage runs on a carrier you like, so that youll have higher status to get upgraded on the one you dont
joachimm and anteater like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe Ive been lucky, but my experiences (at least inflight) on AA over the past few months have been good, and in some cases great.

Recently, I flew SNA-SEA round trip, AS F (updated A320) one way, and DL F (A220) the other. Both were good experiences but nothing made them stand out compared to AA.

Now, the Alaska Lounge and SkyClubs in SEA
those are both far better than any Admirals Club, and almost on par with some Flagship Lounges.

(Obviously, small sample sizes for AS and DL)

Last edited by Aero137; Oct 6, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Aero137
Maybe Ive been lucky, but my experiences (at least inflight) on AA over the past few months have been good, and in some cases great.

Recently, I flew SNA-SEA round trip, AS F (updated A320) one way, and DL F (A220) the other. Both were good experiences but nothing made them stand out compared to AA.

Now, the Alaska Lounge and SkyClubs in SEA
those are both far better than any Admirals Club, and almost on par with some Flagship Lounges.

(Obviously, small samples sizes for AS and DL)
AS' food offering on SNA-SEA should have been superior to AA and your F seat would have had around 4" more pitch.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
AS' food offering on SNA-SEA should have been superior to AA and your F seat would have had around 4" more pitch.
I noticed a little more legroom, but honestly I didnt think it was significant (and Im not short at 6).

It was a breakfast meal (choice of Egg Salad Sandwich or Protein Box). Granted, I havent had a breakfast meal on AA recently, but Ive been surprised by the AA meals recently. Ill have to give AS catering another shot on a lunch or dinner service.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:24 pm

Agree with Aero137 that the AS lounges make a big difference! I only wish there were more of them, but recognize that the numbers would not work out for the east coast stations (DCA/IAD).
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
No idea why people are talking about AA international business when we are comparing to AS first, we all know domestic and international are different animals. But since the door is already open I will just say I would prefer BA over AA to Europe as the service and product is similar but BA gives you more AS miles.
My comments are on soft product, which aside from an extra meal service doesn’t change that much between longhaul and whatever. I don’t find soft product service delivery to be massively different between ANY USA or European airline, it’s all marginal differences (maybe AS and WN are better but it’s all tiny stuff). Frankly the only airlines where things consistently go over the top are Asian ones (and even then I’ve had lousy CX shorthaul business class food).

Oh, and while you’re at it do BURNING miles between AA and BA. Enjoy your $300-700 extra YQ on BA while you’re in non-all aisle access seats on BA 789s, some 777s, and A380s.

(And frankly I’ve flown BA shorthaul and would rather fly U2, seriously.)
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
They're mostly doing JFK/DCA tcons, so yes, that's what they still like about them.
The AS A321s did those routes previously in addition to FLL but now the latter doesn't get them anymore; can't say I'm entirely surprised since all my FLL SEA and FLL SFO flights on A321s went out with empty seats and Y didn't look that full either
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:15 am

RE: AA First

For several years post Flagship First launch, I thought their F service from JFK to the West Coast was easily the best in class. The planes were new, the FAs were all excellent, professional and well briefed on their offerings. The JFK FFD & LAX (QF) dining experiences were truly exceptional by airport standards. Perhaps, one's memories gets fonder over time, but during those days, I think AA FAs were truly making an effort to differentiate the soft product. Back then, there was no question their hard product was world class. One of the most knowledgeable and best FAs I've ever experienced was a JFK to SFO flight, and, though rare, I'd say this experience was as good as the Asia int'l F FAs.

It's not bad now, but certainly not what I had remembered. Of course, the A321T is better than anything TCON AS has to offer, but it certainly isn't 10 times better, as its price difference.

Of course, I'd agree that AS's short haul F probably has no peer, when it comes to the soft product. Also, in my experience, AS's GAs, CSRs and lounge dragons all seem a cut above the rest, in terms of friendliness, anyway.
fly747first and TEDisgone like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Agree with Aero137 that the AS lounges make a big difference! I only wish there were more of them, but recognize that the numbers would not work out for the east coast stations (DCA/IAD).
While the numbers wouldn't work for a free-standing lounge, the numbers certainly could work for a shared lounge situation, such as AA @ HNL, which is a co-marketed JL and AA space, with AA and JL agents there. This would, at a minimum, trigger lounge access for paid F. As someone who has periodic, but not constant, paid lounge membership, this could serve to drive more business toward AS, and cost AS a whole lot less than its own buildout.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
You would have really liked the former Virgin America recliner seats.

And its very Flyertalk of you to fly a bunch of mileage runs on a carrier you like, so that youll have higher status to get upgraded on the one you dont
Ha! I didn't know!!! Every AS flight greets you by name, doesn't act like a total B, and you always get food! AA still treats you like basic cattle.

Had I known... aye aye aye!! ANYTIME Alaska flies a route I can actually use now, I'll be using them.
beckoa likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS does a solid job overall.

I flew AA FAI-DFW this summer- got upgraded at the gate (kinda shocked, as I was the last one) but thought the main cabin was more comfy (friend was in PE with empty middle/aisle).

I did get both a blanket and pillow in F (been a while since I've seen those on AS- and was a nicer blanket offering compared to AS)

And... AA offers Glenlivet 12 as well. Miss those... and Diet Dr. Pepper.

<rAAnt off>
metallo likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I believe this is my 6th year as 75K and 11th year with top tier AA status (was previously EP, now CK), and I must say, considering domestic flights only, both airlines have their pros and cons.

I remember having the same thoughts as the OP about AS being superior in many ways when I originally status matched EP to 75K, but here are a few counter points:

1. Wide bodies and lie flat seats on AA Im heading to Hawaii for my third time in the past couple of months, and theres no comparison between flying a 777 from DFW to the Islands as opposed to connecting at an AS hub and flying a 737.

2. Flagship lounges, flagship first dining, and even just many of the Admirals Clubs absolutely blow the average AS lounge out of the water (not counting the SEA N gate lounge ).

3. The short haul meals on AS seem better than AA currently, but I didnt feel that was necessarily the case pre-pandemic, and I suspect AA will improve again as time goes on.

4. Far more routing options on AA, especially outside the west coast, and seemingly more J availability (and also upgrade chances, if youre interested in that).

5. Speaking of upgrades, you rarely hear of upgrade processor issues at AA like you do with AS. I would take EP over MVP100k any day, because the upgrade odds will likely be better with less capacity at AS, and I just cant imagine AS will get its act together with their upgrade list IT by the time their new top tier level is rolled out.

6. Better discount J purchase options on AA it seems like every non-west coast flight in J on AS is down to full fare J seats only when I try to book, and the price is usually well over $1000 for a midcon and usually over $1500 for a transcon one way on AS.

7. At outstations, AS seems to have more contract staff than AA, making the overall experience with those agents less predictable.

8. Last point if you fly/spend enough to get CK on AA, theres no comparable service available with AS. Even if youre just comparing EP, from what Ive read about the new 100k benefits, they just seem disappointing and less than I would have predicted.

Overall, I think AA is better geared toward the higher spend traveler who wants a premium experience. AS is better if you frequently fly mostly west coast routes and want a distance-based mileage program. Service, in my experience, it hit or miss at both airlines.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by metallo

8. Last point if you fly/spend enough to get CK on AA, theres no comparable service available with AS. Even if youre just comparing EP, from what Ive read about the new 100k benefits, they just seem disappointing and less than I would have predicted.
That is one thing that AS, AFAIK, has never excelled with. Unless there's some secret double handshake service for their top top flyers, with private rooms at their hubs that I've never heard of after 35 years as a customer with this airline, AS really drops the ball here. You can't even get proper agent service in the lounges (and there's a reason for that which the airline could fix). I was a UA 1K for nearly a decade, long prior to GS implementation, and the ground support for whatever we needed (within reason and then some), in dedicated hub service rooms just for us was beyond compare. I recall once with some IRROPS on AS, and having the lounge agent telling me I needed to go out to the lost sea of humanity Customer Service Center for assistance.

I've only flown AA as an AS partner member, and then, only generally in paid premium cabins (including international). I give the edge in crew kindness and service to AS. Ok, I take that back. I flew AA with my OC miles after AA bought them and ruined them. If I still have an AAdvantage account, it has been dormant for 25-ish years.

I'll take the current domestic 2 cabin AS F seat over the AA seat - as an aisle seat sitter, the pitch makes a big difference with people getting in and out of the window seats.

AS has no compare to the FLs. But as compared to an AC, it is a closer call.

As a west coast person not subject to a captive hub, I'm glad I'm a west coast person not subject to a captive hub!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Agreed that AS Inflight, (aside from lacking lie-flat) is great, but AS does have its weakness, particularly for its network and outpost stations. Not a problem for west coast, but East Coast, there is limited service, not to mention airport amenities. With non-existing political clout and most premium gates taken by major carriers, these outpost stations gets the leftovers.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.