Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Alaska Lounges in ANC, LAX, PDX, and JFK accept Priority Pass (PP) on space-available (limited) basis.

Alaska Lounges in SEA no longer accept Priority Pass. (AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)

2018 and earlier version of this thread.
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
PP can increase the price that it charges Chase, and as a result, the low annual fee (150 USD) should not be able to justified the added cost.

i dont really use my PP benefits that much myself, as I can access DL lounge when I fly delta, UA lounge when I fly UA, AA (flagship lounge) when I fly AA -- none of this comes via PP.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
PP can increase the price that it charges Chase, and as a result, the low annual fee (150 USD) should not be able to justified the added cost.

i dont really use my PP benefits that much myself, as I can access DL lounge when I fly delta, UA lounge when I fly UA, AA (flagship lounge) when I fly AA -- none of this comes via PP.
I'm sure that Chase will immediately change their benefits to exactly meet your needs and ignore those of their other customers.

Without PP, the CSR would not be competitive with other travel cards in its price range (~$500 AF). Lounge access standard for a high-end travel card.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

CSR is 150, not around 500.
CSP is 95.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CSR is 150, not around 500.
CSP is 95.
The annual fee on the CSR is $450.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

300 travel credit is trivial to use. i know of no person who couldnt use it.

unlike amex airline credit which takes real skill to use. that is 200 out of annual fee of 550
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I appreciate the fact ANC, PDX, LAX and JFK are still in Priority Pass. I understand access is not guaranteed, but hope there is still opportunity in the future to use these lounges. Just checked into PDX tonight- sad it closed early due to the delay of AS143, could have been there a bit longer. I do not encourage AS and PP to terminate any more agreements.
fti likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

300 travel credit is trivial to use. i know of no person who couldnt use it.

unlike amex airline credit which takes real skill to use. that is 200 out of annual fee of 550

The card has many benefits, and of course you get value from those benefits. That doesn't change the annual fee. I'm not sure why you are subtracting the travel credit and not the value of the other benefits.

The point is that there are only a few non-branded travel cards in that price range, with varying benefits, but they all include lounge access. Removing it would be a ridiculously bad marketing decision. -- it would make the card uncompetitive. If PP were to up the cost, they'd probably just go to a $500 AF. That still leaves them equal to the Citi Presige and still cheaper than the Amex Plat.

Bottom line: PP Select isn't going anywhere.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

I don't see why I am better off when PP kicks AS out.

I have been able to access AS BR 80% of the time this yaer (and similar rate in 2018)

It was really easy back before the existence of CSR.

Many people obtain PP via CSR, as a result, it is crowding the BR.

In fact, I have friend who is debating to keep the CSR or not for the 150 net annual fee. ( They wouldn't even consider cards like amex plat which has a net annual fee of 350 after the airline credit.)

My argument is that the low annual net fee for CSR is causing the crowding and complaints.

It can be solved via increasing the net annual fee for majority of people.
​​​
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:19 pm

Flying out of PDX and an MVP Gold last 3 years, I am around 2 for 30 when it comes to being admitted to the AS BR using PP. This is for PDX, SEA, and LAX. It became so I stopped even bothering to stop by the last 24 months as I knew it would be full. Amex Cent lounge lately has also been turning away Platinum card holders due to over capacity. This happened to me twice in SEA and twice in Las Vegas the last 90 days.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see why I am better off when PP kicks AS out.
I didn't say that you would be

It can be solved via increasing the net annual fee for majority of people.​​
Unfortunately that makes no sense. This is not Chase's problem; why would they give up business in order to solve it?

This is PP's problem. They can solve it by kicking AS (and other programs that abuse the system) out.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I didn't say that you would be

Unfortunately that makes no sense. This is not Chase's problem; why would they give up business in order to solve it?

This is PP's problem. They can solve it by kicking AS (and other programs that abuse the system) out.
is PP better off kicking AS out? No.
and you can advocating PP to kick AS out? i am just confused.

arent people complained to Chase about not able to access AS lounge via their PP?

it is just my opinion that Chase users are more demanding than others.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:28 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by beckoa
I appreciate the fact ANC, PDX, LAX and JFK are still in Priority Pass. I understand access is not guaranteed, but hope there is still opportunity in the future to use these lounges. Just checked into PDX tonight- sad it closed early due to the delay of AS143, could have been there a bit longer. I do not encourage AS and PP to terminate any more agreements.
Was in ANC lounge last night. No problem getting. Very empty when I arrived. Got a bit more crowded by the time I left at 9pm but still not full. Glad that AS is still a part of PP.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe
They denied my attempt to purchase food on arrival. Claim you must now have an outbound BP, it has always been. Rule but now they are enforcing it. I call shenanigans but honestly didn't have the energy to argue.

I have received no notice of a change in T&Cs and I have never been denied entry at AS BR after a flight. I have no idea what would happen if I asked them to show me where this rule exists in writing. I can only guess PP started noticing a huge bump up in "lounge" usage especially late at night when they presupposed no one was heading out and, and the paying parties (Chase in my case) pushed back asking them to clamp down. Still, the change should be documented and distributed, not just arbitrary.

This isn't anything new...they started enforcing this weeks ago and the boarding pass enforcement has been the topic of discussion here on this thread. I must admit that I miss stopping for free food on arrival at my home airport (PDX), but I'm just happy that I can still stop when departing so I won't complain (too much....lol). The rule is in writing on the Priority Pass website....
Sorry the previous thread was closed so I could do the conventional quote and type and I guess I am a little later to the party with this issue. I know that people before have said that the PP T&Cs say that there is a departing boarding pass requirement to use PP at Capers in PDX as @PDXPremier mentions in what I bolded. I am wondering if the T&Cs have changed since people have said that because when I look at the T&Cs now, it only says that a "same-day boarding pass is required." NOTHING says that it has to be an outgoing boarding pass. So if I was to show my boarding pass to PDX that was for that same day, I would be complying with the T&Cs. If @PDXPremier reads this thread please let me know if the PP T&Cs didn't change from when you linked it in April 2018, thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
2/8/19 ANC AL 11 PM denied entry
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Tried getting into JFK @1pm for a 5pm flight. I was naive and thought the standard PP rule was for a '3 hour max stay', but it definitely appears that the AS wording is 'max 3 hours before your flight', and this is enforced by the AS Lounge system.

The sign was not out, but the lounge computer would not accept my PP card with a boarding pass departing 4 hours later. I ended up using a 75K pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.