Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Finkface
Technically, according to the rules, no. Is it possible? YMMV. For both QF and EK, the flights must be marketed and operated by the same carrier. This is from the partner earning page:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:EK
Qualify for mileage accrual

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Emirate. Ticket has to be on Emirates ticket stock to qualify.

Eligible flight numbers
001–978

The rules are the same for QF:
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Qantas.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The requirement for EK flights to be on EK ticket stock is unique to EK. A similar requirement is absent from the details for all other AS partners.

In practice, however, I have flown 4 native EK J flights on ticket stock other than EK and the flights posted automatically.

Codeshares add another layer of complexity as the flight numbers don't fall within the specified flight number range for accrual. In the poster's scenario the EK ticket stock hurdle wouldn't be an issue.

It would be interesting to know if AS would treat the EK codeshare with QF as it does other partner codeshares upon a manual request.

I wouldn't chance not getting EQM for the flight if I was still earning towards status. Now that I have requalified, I would give it a go to see how it played out.

James
Thanks for the reply.

I may buy an slightly more expensive fare with QF number to remove the uncertainty of miles credit.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
While your status will allow for better seat selection on an AA operated flight, you are no longer eligible for upgrades on AA metal. I have successfully selected MCE exit row seats on my flight. My flight was a standalone.

The issue I had and anyone else will have is if the codeshare flight is a standalone or the first flight on a multi-segment itinerary, the bagage fee waiver for AS Elites doesn't extend to AA. I had to change my FF# from AS to AA for my AAdvantage CC benefits to kick in. After ckeck-in I had the gate agent change it back.

James
I thought free MCE for AS elites went away too?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While your status will allow for better seat selection on an AA operated flight, you are no longer eligible for upgrades on AA metal.
Thanks. I'm aware of that. I meant that if I don't put in any FF # in a flight AS-ConnectingCity-AA I won't be able to pick the better seats on the AS flight nor be eligible for an upgrade.

And, I wish I knew why you were still able to get MCE seats on AA for free; I'm getting charged full freight.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I thought free MCE for AS elites went away too?
It did

James
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
It did stay for a couple months after they said it would go away, but then sadly, it was gone.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Just flew LAX-SFO-LAX in premium economy over the weekend. On the way out we were offered drinks and a choice of snack but on the way back they gave all economy (including premium) only water or OJ and a Biscoff. Is this normal?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beastieb
Just flew LAX-SFO-LAX in premium economy over the weekend. On the way out we were offered drinks and a choice of snack but on the way back they gave all economy (including premium) only water or OJ and a Biscoff. Is this normal?
There was a travel vlogger who reported the same thing a month or so ago. The language on AS' website, however, seems to make it clear that alcoholic beverages and a "special snack" should always be included.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Anyone else having problems with alaskaair.com today? I assume that refers to their server, not the weather here in the PNW

Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Uh, yeah... That's an interesting app interface!?

Where's @FlipCup88 ? Do I need to say something repetitive like "There's no place like Nome, there's no place like Nome"...

ETA: wow, analog seat map?

ETA2: This disappeared about 20 minutes later and went back to the normal interface.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by DrAlex; Jun 21, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Looks like 1) the app is just pulling in a web booking page, not using a natively-built booking UI, and 2) the CSS wasn't being pulled down.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
Looks like 1) the app is just pulling in a web booking page, not using a natively-built booking UI, and 2) the CSS wasn't being pulled down.
Isn't this pretty much true with every airline and hotel app (at least, the part that does the booking?)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Isn't this pretty much true with every airline and hotel app (at least, the part that does the booking?)
A lot of mobile apps are built with cross-platform JavaScript frameworks like React Native, but all the stylesheets would be stored locally on the device in that case. This is basically throwing an iframe into the app, which doesn't have a whole lot of implications other than 1) keeping the app slightly smaller at the expense of having to request more data every time the user wants to make a booking, and 2) running into edge cases like this where the you can still make a booking but the storage bucket with the stylesheets is down. I'm guess what happened is that the booking UI and the code that interfaces with SABRE itself are tightly coupled, and AS decided to just paste the booking page in instead of rebuilding the latter as an independent backend service.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
tightly coupled
The bane of my existence...
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:29 am

Does Alaska have a maximum weight carry-on roller bag?

I know some airlines have policies on weights of carry-on bags but IME I've never seen them get weighed UNLESS it's one of those basic economy tickets where most carriers do not allow a typical roller sized carry-on.

I have a Saver fare ticket from HNL to SEA this week and pleasantly surprised to see they still allow full sized carry-ons on this ticket. Since I'm moving off island and back to the mainland, (already maxed out checked bag weights)...I'll be using as much capacity in my carry-on as possible.

I could not find specific policy on weight limits for carry-ons and even if so, how strict are they in enforcing these weights, if at all?

Thank you

Last edited by ginmqi; Jun 24, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Does Alaska have a maximum weight carry-on roller bag?

I know some airlines have policies on weights of carry-on bags but IME I've never seen them get weighed UNLESS it's one of those basic economy tickets where most carriers do not allow a typical roller sized carry-on.

I have a Saver fare ticket from HNL to SEA this week and pleasantly surprised to see they still allow full sized carry-ons on this ticket. Since I'm moving off island and back to the mainland, (already maxed out checked bag weights)...I'll be using as much capacity in my carry-on as possible.

I would not find specific policy on weight limits for carry-ons and even if so, how strict are they in enforcing these weights, if at all?

Thank you
I've not seen a posted weight limit for carry-on bags, and have never seen AS (or other legacy US carrier for that matter) weigh carry-ons. I'd say so long as you're able to place it in the overhead bins, and it's not so heavy that it breaks the bins, you should have no issue.
ginmqi and Flying for Fun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.