Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 4:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I don't view BA F for 70K as a steal personally especially when the surcharge is often equivalent to an economy ticket purchase. In essence you are burning 70K for an upgrade from Y to F. If you are looking to fly 1A on a 747 that opportunity may not be available in 2021 either.

Is it possible for the other party to also apply for the Credit Card? You could each purchase miles as required for your own redemptions even if booked on the same PNR. In my experience, AS is good at taking points from both accounts for a redemption for the same parties. I would be more comfortable sitting on two sign-up bonuses than buying miles now because of the current offer.

James
When AA is 85K for the same award in addition to the surcharge... I do think it is a good value. I have flown BA F a half dozen times on this award...and have always enjoyed it immensely.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david55
When AA is 85K for the same award in addition to the surcharge... I do think it is a good value. I have flown BA F a half dozen times on this award...and have always enjoyed it immensely.
I am happy you enjoyed your flights and find value in the award. Redemptions are certainly not a one award fits all endeavor. AS & AA miles as currencies have different valuations so 85K on AA vs 75K on AS for the same award can't be viewed straight across. That assumes both currencies are equal in value. You wouldn't say that a USD $900 revenue ticket is a better value than the same itinerary for CAD $1000 because it is $100 cheaper.

I did say that, personally, I don't find value in BA awards with the surcharges. Some find value in other redemptions like hotels & magazine subscriptions too. Some will also find value in the experience of flying 1A or having a stopover which AA doesn't allow. Some will even find value in purchasing a good discounted F fare (A), crediting the miles to AS and attaining AS Elite status while viewing the generous 450% (even higher for Elites) RDM earnings as a rebate towards their original revenue ticket outlay.

I do realize that the surcharges can be mitigated if you fly beyond London and don't have a stopover there. With the current 50% bonus on purchased miles, the cost is 1.83 cpm. With a 40K CC signup bonus after x spend you still need to purchase 240K miles for 2 return F tickets which for a non-elite cannot be purchased in one calendar year. That cost is $4,399.92 plus tax. (minimum) If you can find 2 F return that works for your dates and add the additional surchages, how much value are you getting for your F TATL? Anything beyond that is most likely a Y seat with a blocked out middle.

BA beyond Europe to India, South Asia, the Middle East and Africa would be a better value proposition, IMHO, despite requiring 80K for F. Although not listed, BA awards from/to MEX are also a possibility.

James
tobikosan likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 13, 2019 at 3:41 am
Old May 13, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Does anyone know how the Alaska Lounge membership charge appears on a credit card statement? I'm curious how it codes and if I can use the Amex gold airline credit for it.
it has been reported on Flyertalk/credit card/ American Express/ AS travel credit reimbursement forum that lounge membership has been reimbursed for the AmEx amount allowed. Amount is dependent on what type of AmEx Card .
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS selling DL tickets?

Is this new? Has it been going on all this time and I never noticed? Did I just go back in time?

Only full Y on DL segments
Attached Images   
Old May 14, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is this new? Has it been going on all this time and I never noticed? Did I just go back in time?

Only full Y on DL segments
Its been this way since back to the DL partnership.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:16 am

seat assignment for saver fare

Anybody know how it works? As in, I and my friend were both flying, on separate tickets, that are saver. I check-in at T-24 and there is a seat assignment for me. For my friend, nothing, not til she gets to the gate. I have status, she doesn't.

Is that just random, or is there something about status also getting you a better seat?

On Delta you actually get better seats by being on basic economy if you have no status (if they are left).
Old May 14, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its been this way since back to the DL partnership.
Yep - saw a DL flight pop up a few months back and it surprised me, but they do still technically interline and can sell tickets. You won't earn any AS miles for the flight, though as it's not a codeshare.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Yeah - if you search specific routes you can get DL or even non-codeshare AA to show up on AS searches.

Ran into an odd situation this week. I was buying out pretty far in advance at the end of October for a convention and I figured I might as well buy now since the flight down was only $99 - and it's fairly unlikely SEA-SNA would drop below that.
When I used the Gold filter - it showed it was going to be $76 extra to buy into Premium, so I passed on that and bought a standard Main (R).

When I got to seat selections it showed only $35 to buy into Premium so I went for it as I plan to have as many drinks as I can grab on this flight and it moves me up to 6A, but still an R fare.
Doesn't it usually change your fare when you book into Premium? I didn't care as I didn't think it mattered.

Then, a couple days later, they move my 1:50PM departure to 2:45PM - I knew this could happen that far out and accepted thinking they had put me on the "best" flight that matched my schedule.
The next day I notice the new schedule and there's a 1:30PM flight, which would've been a much easier change (15min earlier vs. 55min later).

So I use my MVPG super powers to change to that earlier flight... its the same $99 cost as my original fare... but now it wants me to pay $35 again to upgrade to Premium economy?
And I don't see anything about the original $35 posting back... my receipt was kinda funky (should've screen grabbed) but I cannot tell if its going to net out, or if they're going to charge me twice until the transactions move from pending to final on my card.

I thought as MVPG - everything was fully flex, including paying up to Premium? Maybe I'm mistaken... but if they do post the charge twice I plan to at least call in and see if I can get a little sympathy as I changed the flight due to their schedule change.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:12 am

If I use miles from a non-elite account to book a ticket for myself (MVPG) and a companion (non-elite), am I correct that my ticket will be changeable/cancellable with no fees but the companion is changeable/cancellable with normal fees?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
If I use miles from a non-elite account to book a ticket for myself (MVPG) and a companion (non-elite), am I correct that my ticket will be changeable/cancellable with no fees but the companion is changeable/cancellable with normal fees?
That sounds right, yes.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
That sounds right, yes.
Take a look at this thread which references the same question in another thread.

Free award changes/cancellation
Old May 15, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gld
Two one way tickets for 30 min SEA connection

Hi - apologies if this has been asked but I really want to book a CHS-SEA flight (that is usually on time or early) that lands at 8p and then connect on to the last PHX flight leaving at 8:30P. Obviously AS won't let me book this but can I book two one-way tickets without AS flagging this and cancelling this? I don't want to break the rules but the CHS is notoriously reliable IMO. I feel comfortable about making the connection although I know it is a risk. Thanks for the help!
Old May 15, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by k2sboardr
Hi - apologies if this has been asked but I really want to book a CHS-SEA flight (that is usually on time or early) that lands at 8p and then connect on to the last PHX flight leaving at 8:30P. Obviously AS won't let me book this but can I book two one-way tickets without AS flagging this and cancelling this? I don't want to break the rules but the CHS is notoriously reliable IMO. I feel comfortable about making the connection although I know it is a risk. Thanks for the help!
I don't think you're breaking any rules by booking two separate tickets that violate the MCT. You are simply assuming the risk of the CHS flight being delayed and you missing your PHX flight. I highly doubt AS would cancel either ticket, but if you miss your PHX flight you would very likely be on your own.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
How to calculate (in planning before flying) AS EQM on partners flights?

This is my first partners flights since matched over to AS. So I'm totally green, despite reading up on AS web site. Thought this might be a good place to get confirmation.

All fare codes are D (business class) for the following flights:
CX DUB-HKG; Base mile = 6120 (according to Great Circle)
CX HKG-BOM; Base mile = 2658 (according to Great Circle)
JL KUL-NRT; Base mile = 3357 (according to Great Circle)

AA PEK-LAX, Fare code W; Base mile = 6251

And how about this AS flight?
AS LAX-SFO (Fare code R); Base miles 337. EQM=500?

Thank you in advance!
Old May 15, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
This is my first partners flights since matched over to AS. So I'm totally green, despite reading up on AS web site. Thought this might be a good place to get confirmation.

All fare codes are D (business class) for the following flights:
CX DUB-HKG; Base mile = 6120 (according to Great Circle)
CX HKG-BOM; Base mile = 2658 (according to Great Circle)
JL KUL-NRT; Base mile = 3357 (according to Great Circle)

AA PEK-LAX, Fare code W; Base mile = 6251

And how about this AS flight?
AS LAX-SFO (Fare code R); Base miles 337. EQM=500?

Thank you in advance!
Go to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Click the partner in question
Ensure that the flight number is in the list of allowed ranges at the bottom
Ensure that the partner is marketing (the flight number starts with the code for the partner) and operating (your itinerary does not say "operated by <some other airline>") the flight
Find your fare class in the chart (if it's not there, you get no miles)
Add up the "base miles earned" and "class of service bonus" columns
Multiply by miles flown. That's your eqm.

So, for example, CX in D class earns 100% base + 25% CoS. So you will earn 125% of miles flown as EQM. For DUB-HKG, 125% * 6120 = 7650 EQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.