Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:42 pm

Hi all, apologies as I am sure this has been asked and answered, but I have searched for a while and haven't found my answer. Two questions:

1. Want to book an award ticket on JL using AS miles (ANC-SEA-NRT). As an MVPG, I know I can cancel and get the miles back, likely minus a $12.50 partner booking fee. From what I can tell, it looks like any other travel companions within my PNR, if booked with my miles, may get the cancellation fee ($125) waived, but won't be guaranteed, as they're not MVPG. Does that sound accurate?
2. Aside from this cancellation issue, I may end up booking travel for me and 3 friends using my miles, all on the same JL flight, all in J. No one shares a last name. I earn my MVPG and miles almost exclusively with AS flights and a small amount of credit card spend. I haven't ever done anything shady with my account, but the recent reports of tickets being cancelled for accusations of being a mileage broker have me nervous. I realize it's a subjective and speculative question, but I am interested in the opinions of more experienced people as to whether my ticket is likely to be a problem.

Thanks for your thought.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by brrrdr
Hi all, apologies as I am sure this has been asked and answered, but I have searched for a while and haven't found my answer. Two questions:

1. Want to book an award ticket on JL using AS miles (ANC-SEA-NRT). As an MVPG, I know I can cancel and get the miles back, likely minus a $12.50 partner booking fee. From what I can tell, it looks like any other travel companions within my PNR, if booked with my miles, may get the cancellation fee ($125) waived, but won't be guaranteed, as they're not MVPG. Does that sound accurate?
2. Aside from this cancellation issue, I may end up booking travel for me and 3 friends using my miles, all on the same JL flight, all in J. No one shares a last name. I earn my MVPG and miles almost exclusively with AS flights and a small amount of credit card spend. I haven't ever done anything shady with my account, but the recent reports of tickets being cancelled for accusations of being a mileage broker have me nervous. I realize it's a subjective and speculative question, but I am interested in the opinions of more experienced people as to whether my ticket is likely to be a problem.

Thanks for your thought.

1. If booked from the MVPG+ account then the miles are refundable, minus the partner booking fee, same as it would be for you.
2. If you are flying with the other people and all on the same PNR, are departing from the US and you actually have regular AS activity this should not be a worry. The bigger issue will be finding 4 JL J tickets together.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
1. If booked from the MVPG+ account then the miles are refundable, minus the partner booking fee, same as it would be for you.
2. If you are flying with the other people and all on the same PNR, are departing from the US and you actually have regular AS activity this should not be a worry. The bigger issue will be finding 4 JL J tickets together.
Much obliged safari ari. We’re planning ahead and fortunately have quite a lot of availability in our time frame.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I know Alaska can't make changes to tickets bought via the UR portal and that you have to go through UR/Expedia, but what about applying a GGU? If it matters, for the flight I'd use this on if I were to go ahead with changing my itinerary, when I started a dummy booking on the Alaska site and selected that I want to use a GGU, it shows that the Main Cabin and First Class Upgrade fares were the same, so presumably a GGU-eligible fare class is all that's left; so would I be good since they'd just have to apply the GGU, and not also have to first rebook me into an eligible fare class?

(As to how I have a GGU at MVP—I'll spare the story but they gave me back one I used when I was MVPG.)
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AS Peon
My SO and I are flying AS1415 on Monday, which is currently assigned a 321N (N924VA, VX interior). We are sitting in row 7 right now, but I see 11E and 11F are open right now. Would these be better seats with no 11D seat? 27B, C, E and F are also available, and marked as elite and refundable seats, so maybe they are better?

I've never flown a 321N, so just looking for opinions on the best seats for us!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
My SO and I are flying AS1415 on Monday, which is currently assigned a 321N (N924VA, VX interior). We are sitting in row 7 right now, but I see 11E and 11F are open right now. Would these be better seats with no 11D seat? 27B, C, E and F are also available, and marked as elite and refundable seats, so maybe they are better?
I've never flown a 321N, so just looking for opinions on the best seats for us!
11D is a FA jump seat. I'd stick with row 7 b/c it's premium class (34" pitch and free beverages), but admit I've not sat in row 11 on the 321 before.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:58 pm

MVP® Gold guest upgrade certs

1- Suppose I earned his while MVP GOLD.
2- This year , I don't even make gold.Just regular flyer'. no elite status.
3- Providing my upgrade certs my acct are still valid and have a future expiration date, Can I , companions with me or family members not flying with me still use the certs. most concerned with my personal usage

4- Any advantage to be bottom tier gold when redeeming them? official verbiage says "Once a MVP® Gold guest upgrade is applied to a reservation, no flight changes are allowed. Only MVP® Gold members may contact customer care by phone or email for a replacement code.", In practice have gold members had success getting certs reapplied?

I don't have a of revenue travel planned this year. It seems to me that IF the certs don't expire, then if I am nuts enough to make mileage runs, I should wait for "no status" in 2020, and early 2020 hope for a combination of CHEAP paid F AS fares and confirmable at booking guest upgrades and get MVP GOLD in early 20 , food through 21.

what do others think of this? Obviously I'll lose the 100% redeemable mile credit. I figure to earn 40,000 AS miles with maybe 30,000 flown ( with the 75% AS bonus for first) . So my opportunity cost for an extra year old elite ( waiting till 1 st quarter 2020) is 30K less redeemable AS miles.
5- If one qualifies in 2020 , when do the MVP gold guest certs expire??? Thanks
6- What If I do it this in 2019? when will my newly issued MVP gold certs expire?

Thanks to all for your help.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If your upgrade certs are unexpired they can be used by anyone on a "U" fare. 12/31 expiring ones can be applied to a flight in 2020 as well (unless they somehow change the rules this year).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:23 pm

How can I get Frist Class breakfast without Bacon or Chicken? I don't eat mean and I'm a lacto vegetarian (no eggs such as omlette).
Are these meals cooked together? I worry since I dont want to eat hash browns which are soaked in bacon and removed manually by the FA
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
How can I get Frist Class breakfast without Bacon or Chicken? I don't eat mean and I'm a lacto vegetarian (no eggs such as omlette).
Are these meals cooked together? I worry since I dont want to eat hash browns which are soaked in bacon and removed manually by the FA
If nothing on the pre-order menu meets your dietary restrictions you should bring food on the plane with you.

I'm not sure what laco-vegetarian means. Is it basically the same as vegan? What do you eat for breakfast? If you can't eat meat, eggs, dairy, or yogurt, then I suspect that you are stuck bringing your own food.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:55 pm

I can’t eat meat or egg... or fish...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
All agents overhead page

At SEA just now, there was an overhead page in the terminal(s), "All Alaska agents, please read page one, lines 2 and 3." It was repeated a couple of times. I haven't heard something like this before. Anyone have the backstory?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sorry it's been a while since I flown AS and I have some basic questions:

(1) Can I still get a credit if the fare drops on my flights after I purchase the ticket (with no refare or change fees)?
(2) Does the AS online fare search provide a way to see if GGU inventory is available for immediate confirmation (as opposed to a GGU eligible fare, where I will be waitlisted)?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo

(1) Can I still get a credit if the fare drops on my flights after I purchase the ticket (with no refare or change fees)?
(2) Does the AS online fare search provide a way to see if GGU inventory is available for immediate confirmation (as opposed to a GGU eligible fare, where I will be waitlisted)?
1) No, the only way would to be cancel & rebook the ticket at the lower fare. Unless you have a change fee waiver or on a fully-refundable Y or F ticket the change fee will apply.

2) To search for eligible fares for GGU application be sure to select Gold Guest Upgrade from the top right of the search area or the radio button on the left side of the results page. If there is availability, there will be a white F over a blue background. Purchasing that fare will allow GGU application after purchase. Otherwise there is no U space for that flight. GGUs cannot be waitlisted.

If you purchase the eligible fare without U availability, you would have to monitor for U space opening manually and call in to apply a GGU if it becomes available. Usually not a good practise to purchase the eligible fare without U space for immediate confirmation. If the lowest Main fare is already K class or higher, you don't have any option as it would already be eligible.

James.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Boraxo

1) No for MVP or 0 status member, if MVPG then cancel and rebook for lower fare getting a wallet credit
2) Use all search options, in the Upgrade type box select MVP Gold Guest. Look for the blue box with a white F which indicates space is available. White box with blue F = no space.
There is no waitlisting for GGU upgrade, either confirmed at booking or call in when U space opens. If you waitlist for upgrade its the regular non GGU comp upgrade that is being waitlisted

Nurse Traveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.